Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my FJ used and the previous owner obviously didn’t have an affinity for dirt, mud or anything offroad, so it came with 245s. I think they may have been a takeoff from an oversized Camry or something. Made my FJ look so, weak :mecry: Anyway, I got some new rubber for the rig last weekend.

I decided to go with the slimmer yet functional look and chose KM2s: 255/80/17. 33” diameter. No rubbing when installed, however I put on 1.25” spacers and now get slight rubbing on the driver’s side body mount. I am installing the OME lift this weekend and the rubbing should be gone. :clap: Here are a couple of pics of what the tires look like on the FJ.

Fresh tires, no spacers:

Spacers!

Before spacer:

After spacer:

Final Look … lift installage this weekend!!

I’ve driven about a week on these. Noise level is very low, there is a little hummm on the highway but it is not loud and hardly noticeable. You can definitely hear them when cruising with the windows down though. The ride, as expected, is more truck like and not as buttery smooth as my previous tires. So far, I am happy with them. I like the army type, utility look of the thinner tire. I haven’t had time to play in the mud but I don’t think these will have a problem given the thread pattern and the thinner profile.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sweet, economical and functional! have them max out your caster when you get it aligned

·
Premium Member
16,625 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
62 Posts
LOVE the look! That's something I would do to my FJ.

Tell me, what's the narrowest tire a person may safely put on stock alloy 17" rims?

I like the look of your tires, but are they "safe" when the factory installs 265 tires? I'm not looking to start an argument, I'm just ignorant about tires and would love to learn more.

Thanks!

Yog

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOVE the look! That's something I would do to my FJ.

Tell me, what's the narrowest tire a person may safely put on stock alloy 17" rims?

I like the look of your tires, but are they "safe" when the factory installs 265 tires? I'm not looking to start an argument, I'm just ignorant about tires and would love to learn more.

Thanks!

Yog
I am not sure what the narrowest tire you can run on stock 17” wheels is?? When I bought my used FJ, it had even narrower tires than the 255s … 245s. They still fit and ran with no issues. Plus, they were about half worn, so that had a good amount of miles on them.

There are a few other folks on these exact tires, only BFG makes this size and only in the KM2s. I haven’t read of the size being a problem or creating an “unsafe” situation.

I saw these on “Old Cruiser” FJ and instantly knew that this was the set-up I wanted; functional, economic, light (when compared to the 285, 33” alternative) and they look great.

You won’t need a body mount chop on stock suspension height unless you add spacers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
looks really good with the 255 tire size,, i liked it o much and thinking about it seriously after the one i have goes out

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
The spacer puts the tire placement further away from the vehicle. When turned it crates a larger radius from the wheels constant pivoting point.

One of the advantages of this tire size is the ability to run a larger diameter tire without having to do a body mount chop. Adding a spacer could negate this.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
You can add caster to push the tires forward during the alignment. This will allow you to run those tires without having to do a BMC. The spacers push the arc outwards causing the tires swing to now contact the outer edges of the BM. Really the spacers help with making the stance of the FJ wider for on road stability and give it a better look so it doesnt have the "postal jeep" look.

They air down nice (ran 15 psi) and run forever on the road- have over 31000 on mine with over 1/2 the tread left. They grip well in the rocks and offer better height over the wider 285's (33.4" vs. 32.7"). Not a huge amount but every bit counts.

Hey Wilmer- I can cut your BM's off if ya want when Im home- My double blade saw takes about 15 seconds a side (nothing is quicker) once the FJ is jacked up and tires removed. Then grind to taste. I'd do it like FJess's since her's makes the most of needed space and still retains the safety factor with what they were designed to do. Just let me know.

I wish I knew you were looking at those- I would have offered to sell you mine. They just sit now.

-OC

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,953 Posts
I personally like the opposite look of really wide tires as opposed to skinny tires although, after adding the spacers it does look nice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can add caster to push the tires forward during the alignment. This will allow you to run those tires without having to do a BMC. The spacers push the arc outwards causing the tires swing to now contact the outer edges of the BM. Really the spacers help with making the stance of the FJ wider for on road stability and give it a better look so it doesnt have the "postal jeep" look.

They air down nice (ran 15 psi) and run forever on the road- have over 31000 on mine with over 1/2 the tread left. They grip well in the rocks and offer better height over the wider 285's (33.4" vs. 32.7"). Not a huge amount but every bit counts.

Hey Wilmer- I can cut your BM's off if ya want when Im home- My double blade saw takes about 15 seconds a side (nothing is quicker) once the FJ is jacked up and tires removed. Then grind to taste. I'd do it like FJess's since her's makes the most of needed space and still retains the safety factor with what they were designed to do. Just let me know.

I wish I knew you were looking at those- I would have offered to sell you mine. They just sit now.

-OC
OC,
Welcome back! I am really liking the new tires. i put on the OME lift this past weekend and did the BMC. So, no rubbing any more. I think Garrett is looking at getting these tires. I'll let him know you may have a set for sale.

I added the spacers for the exact reason you stated above, for a little wider stance and road stability.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
OC,
Welcome back! I am really liking the new tires. i put on the OME lift this past weekend and did the BMC. So, no rubbing any more. I think Garrett is looking at getting these tires. I'll let him know you may have a set for sale.

I added the spacers for the exact reason you stated above, for a little wider stance and road stability.
Sounds good! Wish I was back- Still in MY. Should be home in the 2nd week of April.

We can talk off line about the tires. FJ looks great!

OC

·
Registered
669 Posts
Gents thanks for the comments and tips. So, to add caster is a function of the alignment and not a part you purchase, correct. As is, my FJ seems aligned so when I put the new 255's on her I should have it aligned? I read thru OC's post on his 255's and it seems i should not need a BMC if I do not add spacers, correct? I do like the idea of the spacer as the postal jeep visual came through load and clear.

Thanks and sorry to hi-jack the thread

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Yup the caster will push the tires forward and make the larger tires feel more "on-center" when rolling down the highway. The larger tires cause the front end to wander. I never knew this and always thought it was something you just delt with when you went to bigger shoes.

So this will remove the dartyness feel that some experience. Spacer did cause slight contact with the drivers side BM when wheeling at WTF 3 but all it did was chunk the outside edge in a few spots- no major issue. Most alignment shops will set the caster slightly lower on the drivers side to accound for the crown of the road. This is why it's experienced only on that side.

I would recommend at least a +3.5 Caster and up for both sides and not worry so much about the crown offset since most now drive in both the left and right lanes on the road (highways).

-OC

1 - 20 of 35 Posts