Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I've been researching copious amounts of information on here and finally decided to join. This all started when I test drive an FJ several weeks ago an a whim and absolutely loved it. I'm currently searching for the best one for me, so I don't have one just yet.

My conundrum is this: I currently have an '18 4Runner Limited that does absolutely everything I'd like it to do. I primarily use it as a daily driver, with occasional light to moderate 4x4 trips with friends. I have no complaints with it, but I'm overtaken with the joy of driving the FJ that I test drive. Many might describe it as a step down, although, I don't see it as that.

My question to everyone is, would I be foolish to trade the 4Runner for the FJ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello everyone!

I've been researching copious amounts of information on here and finally decided to join. This all started when I test drive an FJ several weeks ago an a whim and absolutely loved it. I'm currently searching for the best one for me, so I don't have one just yet.

My conundrum is this: I currently have an '18 4Runner Limited that does absolutely everything I'd like it to do. I primarily use it as a daily driver, with occasional light to moderate 4x4 trips with friends. I have no complaints with it, but I'm overtaken with the joy of driving the FJ that I test drive. Many might describe it as a step down, although, I don't see it as that.

Unless you plan on wheeling where the overhangs are an issue, yes it is a serious downgrade. The 4Runner is better everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
On a lot of levels, yes. If you are looking to trade at a dealer, you'll get killed on both ends of the deal. Basically the same engine/drive train, suspension. The only advantage would be the FJs short wheelbase. The 4R, more room (kids?), 4 doors, probably more room in the back, haven't looked.

Now if you could figure a way to come out really good on the sale of the 4R …., I know you are thinking about it. >:D

Going from a 2005 Dodge Dakota to the FJ was a no brainer.. :grin We do know how you are feeling about the FJ, every time I get in and start her up.

Tough decision, good luck,
Lee

Edit:

AND, Welcome from Oregon!

For probably 99% of the off roading I do, the 4R would be perfect. Don't crawl, do overlanding, fire/logging roads, some trails. Those turn arounds in tight places, the short wheelbase does make it easier.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
It depends on your point of view. I'd take an FJ over a 4R limited any day of the week. I'd take the FJ over a G wagon and all the other Chelsea Tractors out there. What is appealing to me is the utility of the FJ. It's pretty simple so there's not much to go wrong. There are too many posh things with a 4Runner, like carpet, that don't work for me. The wheelbase, stance, design and interior are also more appealing to me. I can operate all the controls while wearing thick gloves, I can hose off the floor and I can carry the tools I need for all the work I do.

But in the grand scheme of things - if you like the creature comforts, stay with the 4Runner. If you really enjoy the FJ make the switch and don't look back.

well, maybe I'd take a G wagon. then trade it for 3-4 FJ's and accessories.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies so far!

I definitely like the utility of the FJ, and the uniqueness of it is attractive to me. With regard to trading, the worst offer I got on the 4Runner is $2k less than I paid for it, which isn't awful, so I'm certainly tempted. No kids, so back seats aren't a huge issue.

I have to admit, I'd take a G Wagen, but it would HAVE to be warrantied haha.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Don't know what a 4R limited goes for but the 2K less than you paid sounds good.

What year/mileage FJ you looking at/for? You could have $$ left over.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
Welcome.

All good advice already, I would join the ‘if you love it go for it’ camp...you only live once and if the FJ makes you smile as much as it does all of us go with that. The $2k deal loss on the 4R sounds OK to me, I lost a load swapping to an FJ, from a top spec Volvo XC70 which was more than I needed and much much better for the daily job but no regrets at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely bought the 4Runner "right" so I'm in pretty good standing as far as the trade situation. I even had one offer right at the price I paid last year, so I can definitely get there on the money.

I've been looking at 2010 and newer FJ's, mileage between 50-75k, and prices seem to be pretty set around $28-$35k.

I definitely get a pretty big grin when driving the FJ's, and I haven't noticed much handling/ride quality difference. I feel like I shouldn't even like them because of how utilitarian they seem compared to the 4Runner, but as you all know, there's just something about them.

Currently planning on driving a few more, and sifting through to find a really clean one to compare.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd also really love to hear any pet peeves or irritations you've had with your FJ's
Here are the highlights. Terrible fuel mileage for the size and weight, wind noise, non operable rear window, poor visibility, snail like acceleration (you no already owning a 4Runner), goofy looking bumper wings, terrible audio, nearly worthless bluetooth, useless roof rack...

Still love it though.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
I'd also really love to hear any pet peeves or irritations you've had with your FJ's
Mine's a '13 auto Army Green, 103K miles. I put on almost 70K myself. Crawl, Atrac and rear locker. I don't have issues with her (Jade). Retired no kids/gkids to worry about hauling around. I bought a small utility trailer for hauling stuff around. I missed having a pickup bed :smile No issues with interior room. She's also not a daily driver now. Mileage is not an issue for me and I don't imagine the 4R does much better if at all.

The only issue I can think of is the blind spots that just about everyone mentions. With an aftermarket rear bumper that made the situation of seeing out the back window worse. I added a Kenwood head unit with a rear camera (also now a front camera). The rear camera/backup also doubles as a rear view mirror and pretty much does away with the blind spots to the sides.

Its just smiles per mile, I love the FJ.

Almost forgot, there is a compulsion to spend $$$ on mods. You can determine if that is an issue. :grin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the highlights. Terrible fuel mileage for the size and weight, wind noise, non operable rear window, poor visibility, snail like acceleration (you no already owning a 4Runner), goofy looking bumper wings, terrible audio, nearly worthless bluetooth, useless roof rack...

Still love it though.
I think it's .00001 faster than my 4Runner which has full time 4 wheel drive. And have you had an experience with the Entune suite? It redefines worthless with respect to car audio.

Mine's a '13 auto Army Green, 103K miles. I put on almost 70K myself. Crawl, Atrac and rear locker. I don't have issues with her (Jade). Retired no kids/gkids to worry about hauling around. I bought a small utility trailer for hauling stuff around. I missed having a pickup bed :smile No issues with interior room. She's also not a daily driver now. Mileage is not an issue for me and I don't imagine the 4R does much better if at all.

The only issue I can think of is the blind spots that just about everyone mentions. With an aftermarket rear bumper that made the situation of seeing out the back window worse. I added a Kenwood head unit with a rear camera (also now a front camera). The rear camera/backup also doubles as a rear view mirror and pretty much does away with the blind spots to the sides.

Almost forgot, there is a compulsion to spend $$$ on mods. You can determine if that is an issue. :grin
I like the interior room a lot. I'm taller (6'2") and have TONS of head room, and I don't have to have the seat pushed all the way to the rear. I think MPG is a wash between the two.

I haven't noticed much in the way of blind spots, but I'm VERY accustomed to using my side mirrors. I drive fire engines for a living, and there's truly zero rearward visibility, and the FJ's I'm looking at all have reverse cameras, which I find very helpful.

The mod compulsion is a constant for me, regardless of vehicles, or other toys. I'm always shopping

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
My peeves: wish the suicide door windows rolled down and if they'd made the rear window either go up and down or open/close.

The mod compulsion is strong. Every day someone here asks "have you seen..." or says "look what I found" and I'm off to the internet to get the details to add to my spreadsheet.

·
Premium Member
16,366 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Texas FJ, The mod compulsion is strong. Every day someone here asks "have you seen..." or says "look what I found" and I'm off to the internet to get the details to add to my spreadsheet.[/QUOTE]

I know that'll be the next thing if I make the trade. I'm always looking for cool or unique things to make me enjoy my vehicles more.

I've test driven quite a few FJ's in the last couple of days, and I'm struggling not to like them.

Thanks for all the thoughts and warm welcome's!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Still hunting. The Army Green or Sandstone are my two favorite colors currently. As if I needed to narrow the market any further!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Friday update:

I've narrowed my search down to two, which I'll List below for opinions:

1 - 2013 Iceberg, listed at $29,999 and 72k miles. Very clean, undercarriage is pristine, but looks like 4 owners, and had "some paint work" I'm told by the dealer, but I can't see where they did anything. Spent it's life up until now in the south east US. Has crawl control package.

2 - 2013 Army Green, listed at $31500 and 65k miles. Single owner, spent it's life in CO, also very clean, undercarriage has normal wear and tear, but nothing I'm concerned about. Has convenience package with JBL and park sensors.

At the moment, I'm very torn between the two, any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts