Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my FJ in for the front brake bulletin today. I dropped it off at 7:30, got a call that it was done at 10:00. Seems to drive well. Brakes straight and solid. Well done Webb.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Front brake bulletin, never heard of it. What did it say?
If your front brakes make a squeal or howl when backing up first thing in the morning... Toyota has a fix for you. I had mine fixed on their dime, got some brand new front brake rotors and a couple of re-designed clips. Totally eliminated the squeal. My truck is an 07, the dealer had to inspect the brakes and reference the vin number before ordering the parts.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Just call them and tell them the build date of your rig. It can be found on the sticker on the drivers side suicide door. They will tell you if you qualify for the new stuff. I never noticed the noise other than once or twice after water crossings, but that was probably from the water and sand/muck. I just figured that i'd check...new brakes don't hurt! They are gonna call me when they get the parts in.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep that's the deal... mine squeeled if backing after driving in rain.

But figured what the heck, new stuff on Toyota?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Wow, my front brakes have squealed backing up since new. It only happens when it's wet outside and I have had my rig for 2 years now with a build date of 04/06. Do you think Toyota will make good on the fix for me? Did you guys call the dealer or did you have do go through 1-800-Toyota to get some action? Thanks, Roma

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
They fixed mine for free and I had over 30K when I took it in. No more squeeks or clicking noises when backing up.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I am taking mine in next week.....I have 30,000kms(18,000mi) on mine and brakes squeel all the time now....going forward and backing up....I also read something about a TSB about the Crudlop tires and premature wear. My service guy is also going to be inspecting my alloys....They are chipping badly and in a few places the clear/paint has come off.......Should be an interesting visit.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Wow, my front brakes have squealed backing up since new. It only happens when it's wet outside and I have had my rig for 2 years now with a build date of 04/06. Do you think Toyota will make good on the fix for me? Did you guys call the dealer or did you have do go through 1-800-Toyota to get some action? Thanks, Roma
Your dealer will be able to take care of it. No need to call toyota. Yes, you are covered with that build date. Sounds like you're getting free new brakes! :clap:

My dealer just called yesterday to let me know that my parts are in. Gonna get it taken care of after the 4th!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Your dealer will be able to take care of it. No need to call toyota. Yes, you are covered with that build date. Sounds like you're getting free new brakes! :clap:

My dealer just called yesterday to let me know that my parts are in. Gonna get it taken care of after the 4th!
Thanks 4 the heads up!!!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Called dealer today and asked about the TSB on the brake squealing and the person I spoke to was in the dark about it. Wanted me to bring my rig in for a "free" 25 point saftey check but I told her that's not what I wanted. Is there a TSB someone can post so I can print it out and bring it with me?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
They weren't aware of it when I calle either. You can find the TSB in the link posted above. Good luck! All I know is that mine was built 07/07 and it was included. So if you are earlier than that you know you are in need of new brakes. After that date you'll have to call and ask.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
One last question, do the dealers have to hear for themselves the squealing brakes in reverse to make good on this TSB or will they take your word for it alone? The last thing I want to do is waste time with some service manager who's going to give me the run around. :boohoo:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
One last question, do the dealers have to hear for themselves the squealing brakes in reverse to make good on this TSB or will they take your word for it alone? The last thing I want to do is waste time with some service manager who's going to give me the run around. :boohoo:
My dealer wasn't aware of the TSB. I gave him the number and made an appointment. They inspected the brakes, ordered the parts and when they came in called me to schedule the install.

They installed them with no hassels. The noise is gone!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
No, you don't need to hear the sound. If you fall under the covered build dates, they will replace them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My dealership didn't question me at all about the brakes or the door handle. I talked to them on the phone and told them what was happening, and that I knew there was a TSB for both issues.

I had to wait a few days for them to order the parts.

They finished the front brakes, both door handles and an oil change in less than 2 hours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts