Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....does any body have pics of a external GPS antenna mounted to their roof rack or top of the FJ.....i am in the process of getting my ham radio license and will become a storm chaser/watcher....the ham radio rig i am looking at has gps capabilty...so they know exactly where you are...any way i have a gobi ranger rack and dont really wont to put a antenna in the middle of it because i haul kayaks .....any thoughts....RR

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I don't know what your antenna looks like but my Garmin external takes up VERY little space, it's smaller than a small cell phone and is a magnetic mount. Sorry I can't help much more than that. .......:)

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
You can see my Garmin mounted, yes, its magnetic and takes up no space at all. In the pic with the bikes, it is right next to my XM radio antenna. I carry kayaks (this pic is before I had it mounted) also and there is no way it conflicts with doing such in my set-up...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
This may be a little overkill but I made an antenna "bridge" out of aluminum to protect all the little antennas, and give them one central mount. It allowed me to just run one conduit and drill a single hole in the roof.

The benefit is that I can fool around with different combos and placements if needed, and it all stays in one place:

I'm not using the white Trimble GPS dome.

·
Registered
355 Posts
For what "Air" does I think many kudos are in order.
But it's 10 minutes now and I'm still laughing.
I meant no offense, I think Air's build up is amazing but his phrase "this may be overkill" just slayed me. ;)

And yes, if I had half of the skillz Air does, I'd be creating solutions like the above antenna mount. Rep goes to Air for that one.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I meant no offense, I think Air's build up is amazing but his phrase "this may be overkill" just slayed me. ;)

And yes, if I had half of the skillz Air does, I'd be creating solutions like the above antenna mount. Rep goes to Air for that one.
Agreed except all REPs have been killed by the elders.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
A member here gave me the ideal to place my GPS antenna next to the front speaker (tweeter) on the dash. Going the stealth look. I try to search for the thread and I can't find it.
Anyone know who that was?
Props goes to that member works great. Next I am going to try the Sirius antenna to see how that works.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Aw c'mon - it's not that bad. But I have an easier way to do such an antenna bridge. Just hit up your local marine salvage or old boat yard. They will have tons of cool-shaped fiberglass doohickies that will look great up on the roof after some paint. Mount all your gizmos on there and you can keep it all together without messing up the roof too bad...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts