Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Garmin 60CSx so help with my off roading adventures. Can any recommend what software/maps I should download to help me track the off road/forest service trails in Colorado?

I've been looking around this forum and others, and can't quite figure out how to accomplish this.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Jeff you have a couple of options (we'll be covering some of these in the July issue of FJC Magazine).
1) Buy the Garmin Topo maps, about $100, 100,000:1 resolution (not very good)
2) Download maps from this guy: Miscjunk
They work pretty well & have lots of POI's, but the contour lines aren't as pretty as I'd like, they get fairly choppy when you zoom in.
3) Next time I see you I can give you the custom set of maps I made using this site: Creating Custom Topo Maps for a Garmin GPS
They're VERY detailed, but they're not routable & the POI's leave a little to be desired. My 1gb (more or less) of maps covers the western 2/3 of CO & the eastern part of Utah (including Moab)

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Jeff,

I find a combination of the Garmin Topo maps and The Metro maps (which have forest/fire roads on) work pretty well. I use a combination of a Garmin 60c unit and a dash mounted Nuvi (just because it talks and has a bigger screen). You can use Garmin Bobcat (Mac) or Mapsource (PC) applications to load the maps to the units. Note: Never solely rely on GPS, always carry a detailed paper topo map and a compass and know how to use them as electronics can fail. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I downloaded the garmin software via bit torrent then used IMG2GPS to load the files that I wanted to upload. Google earth pro links up as well and I also use local mapping software that is available. Great unit to have especially compared to my old lowrance that had no mapping capabilities.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I've been running with a 76cxs for a few years and this is our solution, gleamed from my nephew and brother.

I don't really use my gps for routing or even seeing where we are on the trail. I now route the gps through a laptop and use National Geographics TOPO maps. TOPO has the ability to track exactly where you are in real time and if you want, create a trace of your route as you travel down the road.

The first map is a TOPO map of a trip through part of Death Valley, it shows exactly my route that I took:

Another feature is that before even leaving home, you can create your own track of where you want to go and then go. This map was all done by hand because I had never been in this region before. There were so many roads that I wanted a route that didn't dead end. You can see partial routes that I started and then quit. Of course it's really easy to delete anything you want.

I haven't come across any maps that download directly to the gps and actually mean anything. I/we are hooked on this approach.

Good luck finding your solution.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thought you might like to check out the TOPO Colorado 24K from Above The Timber, they are in Buena Vista, CO and have done a real nice job. I have them on my 60CSX and NUVI 660, will work on all Garmin units. There web sight is WWW.Above The Timber.com. They can be down loaded or ordered on a disk.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thought you might like to check out the TOPO Colorado 24K from Above The Timber, they are in Buena Vista, CO and have done a real nice job. I have them on my 60CSX and NUVI 660, will work on all Garmin units. There web sight is WWW.Above The Timber.com. They can be down loaded or ordered on a disk.
You cannot include spaces when you a link in a post the way you did. Try this...

Above The Timber

1 - 8 of 8 Posts