Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see a lot of people trying to figure out a way to mount there GPS units in their vehicles her is how I did mine this is version 1.1 but there will be an extra support being added probably tomorrow when I’m sitting at a TIG welder

It is just a simple piece of sheet aluminum bent it and drilled three holes.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
You don't have any problem with antenna reception, going through the roof? Or, are you installing an external antenna?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problems with reception at all just mounted the unit up by the mirror and it works perfect!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I have my Garmin Nuvi 200w mounted just below the drivers side air vent on the silver panel.Just below that is my XM raido.It is pretty much out of site with the tinted windows and has no issues picking up satalites.
Never really liked mounting anywhere in site so i was a bit worried about where i mounted it but no problems.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I did something like you did with a Garmin C320... I didnt have any support but it seems to hold the GPS just fine.

I ran external antenna for it but then I discovered I didnt need that antenna.. the unit gets the signal just fine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You don't have any problem with antenna reception, going through the roof? Or, are you installing an external antenna?
Some high end units can now track a few sats inside a structure. When the last of the Block IIIR sats go up in 2012. You will be able (according to national geodetic survey) to get sub meter positions inside a wood frame structure.

·
fka Memphibious FJ
1,469 Posts
My Garmin has been able to pick up the satellites without an external antenna in the truck and even inside the house, and I can only get a moderate cell signal inside my house. I guess the two don't really compare, but it seemed interesting to me that the Garmin could operate indoors.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I have c340 mounted up pretty much the same way and it takes awhile to lock on but it's never been what I would call a problem....I didn't even know you could get an external antenna....Everyday I learn something new and it is usually on here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts