Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a GPS, something portable because I'd use it both in the FJ and mountain biking. Hopefully something that can withstand some abuse.

Thing is, there's SO many reviews on the web, good advice, bad advice, marketing hype, it's a mess and hard to tell the real story.
Hopefully this group can bring some sanity to my product selection process.
I'd like to keep it under 3 bills.

What GPS are you using?
What's good about it?
What sucks about it?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I own a TomTom One NE. I bought 2 because they were cheap at the time and I gave one to the GF. She likes it - uses it more than I do mine.

no problems updating via PC
large/loud/bright enough for my needs
ease of use
availability of 3rd party utilities
easy to load POI's (drag and drop as opposed to using proprietary software)
not too many bells and whistles

Dislikes: nothing so far

Try here: TomTom Forums.com - Unofficial Site of TomTom for North America - Powered by vBulletin for more TomTom insight.

Shop around...figure out what you need it to do as opposed to what you want it to do. You can spend a ton of money on a unit that plays MP3s, works as a BlueTooth device, etc., etc., but is all of that necessary?

Good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm ready to purchase the garmin 60cx soon as i can find the torrents to download the topo's and streets and maps..... no way in helll am I paing 160$ for the topo maps. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got a Garmin C550 on the 'net from "PCRUSH" for $225. Had it about 3 weeks now, good little box. Has an mp3 that I am still learning to use. Quick at aquiring satilites and is a lot of fun to play with. Has an internal battery and traffic updates. I'm like you, lots of reviews and opinions, like the FJ, went with my gut and made a pretty good choice I think.

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I use the Garmin eTrex Legend CX, definitely the way to go. Can mount on your handle bars, in the FJ, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
I use the Garmin eTrex Legend CX, definitely the way to go. Can mount on your handle bars, in the FJ, etc, etc.
Delete quote, miss read.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Garmin eTrex VISTA CX
---Can be used in vehicle. Works well, but a bit small. Swivel mount available.
---Has a sturdy mount available for bars. Waterproof. Small enough not to get in way. ---Has proved to be durable. Battery lasts a few hours. Altimeter not great. Waypoints and tracks can be programmed manually or from PC, software included. Lots of memory built in. ---There are not many that can easily be used for both purposes. They are either geared toward vehicles, boating, or treking. Garmin was best fit for me. Be sure not to buy something too large for biking.
--One of my favorite GPS sites:
GPS Receiver Information, Software, and Hardware Reviews of Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan and other GPS Receivers

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

So far I'm leaning towards the Garmin 60CX that Northern Cruiser suggested. The fact it's waterproof is a big + and for camping/hiking/in the car/running from feds it seems like the most versatile thing out there.

BTW Northern Cruiser, the .torrents of those maps & software I saw on that very popular Swedish .torrent site that you've probably heard of ;) I went and looked after you mentioned that.

The wrist and handlebar mounted GPS recv'ers look cool, but the way I ride (or fail to ride...) a mountain bike would drastically shorten the life of anything like those.

Anyone check out the Garmin Rino 120's? 2-way radio and GPS all in one. If it did CB, that'd solve several problems in one box...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Garmin all the way. I have owned a E-Trex Vista and currently own a Vista CX. Work well in the FJ or lashed on a backpack. Get rechargeable batteries for whatever you get as they can eat up batteries some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts