Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2010 FJ and am looking into either a garmin or tom tom...curious how the reception is with the windshield being so shallow and vertical. Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Only have first-hand experience with Garmin, but I've had a string of them over the years. The newer ones (without a flip-up or external antenna) do just fine almost anywhere, including on the dash or windshield of the FJC. The older ones with flip-up or rotatable antennas were more sensitive to placement. It looks to me like antenna technology for these has been greatly improved over the years. I'm betting you'd be fine with any late-model, name brand GPS but I can only guarantee a Garmin will work fine from personal experience.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have a Garmin nuvi with the flip up antenna and so far, have had no issues with it at all. I use a 'sandbag' mount on the dash rather than the suction cup mount. Seeing as I travel alot, I like the option of taking the GPS and mount with me. Curiously, I actually have more issues with rental vehicles and GPS reception than I do with the FJ.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi and I use the suction cup attachment and it works perfectly. Fast start up and never have had a problem. I mount mine on the driver side lower corner just above the dash speaker. Works great. I tuck the cord down the side of the dash, up under the colum and it looks great. Bottom line. ..dont worry about a thing. The Garmins work perfect in the FJ's near vertical window.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts