Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as a Graduation present my godfather bought me a new portable GPS for the truck.

The Magellan Maestro 4250

First one pictured here: Maestro Series

Loving it soo much, has a 4.3 inch LCD touch screen, Bluetooth Hands Free for my iPhone, Voice Command and Control ad much more. Whatcha think? I need to find a nice place to mount it out of the main view. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!!! I would suggest you thank him a million times. That's beyond generous. Where'd you graduate from?
High School! My official graduation is tomorrow night :) Trust me I did thank him :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guy, lol, turned 18 last week, had the FJ for a year now! :p Do, I need a way to hide the cables but be connected to the lighter. How can I do that?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Guy, lol, turned 18 last week, had the FJ for a year now! :p Do, I need a way to hide the cables but be connected to the lighter. How can I do that?
Hardwire it. I would mount your GPS up on the headliner in between the sun visors (if its small enough not to obstruct your view of the rear view mirror.) Run wiring in the headliner and drop it down via the pillar on the drivers side. wire positive to switched fuse slot (search you will find it) and ground to the bolt under the trim panel on the pillar that goes to the chassis.

That's what I would do. If it's too big then I don't know where I'd mount it.

I mounted my CB between the visors. Very easy. Drop your headliner (PITA) and mount a 2x4 to the roof with Gorilla glue. Let it cure over night and hold it in place with other pieces of wood so it has a firm connection. Mount the headliner and mount your GPS to it with wood screws. while the headliners dropped run your wiring.

OH and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! funny my birthday was this last Monday (June 2nd). :cheers:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey bro.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, happy late birthday to you too! Well, I ended up returning the Magellan, it went bad on me and crashed the 2nd day in. Exchanged it for a Garmin Nuvi 760 at BestBuy, Garmin is way better, my family lives by them on our boats, lol. I'll take pics later.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
thats no good! but atleast you got a better unit. I have never actually messed around with those units, always had indash's.

Good luck with it! Post pics and hopefully more people will chip into this thread!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
hey innovations...congrats on graduating!

definitely do a search on "gps mounting" there are a ton of different threads, i mounted mine to the rearview mirror bolts and ran the wires down to the fuse box using an add a circuit. i love it...there are some good pictures on those threads. pm me if you need any help or questions as i just recently finished it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts