Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris aka "spincycle" the lucky winner of the Inchworm transfer case, needed that case a day sooner to get unstuck from this ledge:

He took the turn a little too wide and slid off on the loose rock. He tried to get back on but I worried he might roll the truck over. A quick pull and he was on his way. Lucky Sucker :thefinger:

·
Registered
318 Posts
whos black cherry? that thing is FINE! more pics. sorry for the high jack. but not all of us woory luck enough to be there. hopefully next year.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Do you really think that lower gears and more torque would have got him unstuck?
Agreed! This was a simple issue of not paying enough attention to the trail surface. Lower gears would have just dug me in deeper...more slowly. ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whos black cherry? that thing is FINE! more pics. sorry for the high jack. but not all of us woory luck enough to be there. hopefully next year.
I don't remember his name, maybe Chris does or he will see his truck and chime in. Matt from the trail teams is the other guy in the photo but that is not his truck.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Taken from a little bit different angle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Was this the situation I heard about where someone almost lost an FJ? One guy tried to help and then he got stuck, and it took a 3rd FJ to get out the 2nd FJ and then they both recovered the first?

It looks like he could have cranked the wheel to the left, backed up and then drive out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Was this the situation I heard about where someone almost lost an FJ? One guy tried to help and then he got stuck, and it took a 3rd FJ to get out the 2nd FJ and then they both recovered the first?

It looks like he could have cranked the wheel to the left, backed up and then drive out.
No different, but that was on the same trail a few groups back. I believe they took a wrong turn and got stuck in the snow.

This situation looks less precarious than it was. The rock was very loose and it's steeper than it looks. Chris tried to back up and go forward a couple times but just slid down farther. He wasn't stuck real bad but it was much smarter and safer to just pull him out considering all the help that was there. There was a risk of him rolling down the hill. Might be a slow roll and maybe the snow bank would have stopped him..... I think getting pulled out is better than wrecking your truck.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I don't remember his name, maybe Chris does or he will see his truck and chime in. Matt from the trail teams is the other guy in the photo but that is not his truck.
Nope, don't recall his name...I believe he was our tailgunner, though.

CORRECTION: I *do* believe that it was STUNAEP.

And to answer a previous question: no, this wasn't a 3-truck rescue, just a quick snatch strap pull by one truck and I was churning up that next switchback quick as can be.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
That's ecaxtly what I tried to do, at first...but each attempt saw my two left wheels slide further downhill into the loose talus...in one of the pics, you can also see that the right rear tire is actually slightly off the ground, giving me one tire with traction, one in the air, and two, downhill, on very loose rock.

Glad I wasn't driving alone...nothing to winch off of!

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's ecaxtly what I tried to do, at first...but each attempt saw my two left wheels slide further downhill into the loose talus...in one of the pics, you can also see that the right rear tire is actually slightly off the ground, giving me one tire with traction, one in the air, and two, downhill, on very loose rock.

Glad I wasn't driving alone...nothing to winch off of!
Scary!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts