Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my book last year, it's a great book that lists all the 4x4 trails in the State. It is very detailed showing the trail conditions, GPS, time to do the trail, difficulty ratings, etc. Those that are going to the Summit for the first time, may want to purchase this book before going or you can buy it at one of the local shops in Ouray.

I went to a Kinko's and had the spine cut off and added a spiral bound back so that it can be easily read. I got the idea from Terry (TennSquire). I just thought I would pass this on to all those that are going this year. :)

See ya on the trail :cheers:

Mike

GUIDE TO
Colorado
Backroads &
4-Wheel Drive Trails
2nd Edition
by Charles A. Wells

75 Trails with Maps (83), Directions
Over 425 Photos plus GPS Waypoints
286 Pages

Easy, Moderate and Difficult
Colorado Backroad Driving Adventures

Completely redone second edition has been expanded to 75 trails with 25 all new trails. Everything has been redriven using GPS and waypoints are provided. Book covers spectacular areas south of Interstate 70 including Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, Crested Butte, Aspen, Buena Vista, Vail, Leadville, Breckenridge, Idaho Springs, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Pikes Peak Region, Sangre De Cristo Mountains and Great Sand Dunes National Park. Fifty trails suitable for stock, high-clearance sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks. Details and photos added for ATVs and dirt bikes, allowed on 73 trails.

Contents

Table of Contents
Page Topic

6 Trails Listed by Area
7 Statewide Locator Map
8 Trails Listed By Difficulty, Trail Ratings Defined
10 Trails Listed Alphabetically and Author's Favorites
11 Introduction
12 Improvements to Second Edition
13 Selecting the right trail for your vehicle
14 ATVs and Dirt Bikes
15 Important Facts About Colorado
16 Rules of the road
18 Safety tips
20 Your responsibilities as a Backcountry Driver
21 Backcountry driving techniques
30 Map Legend
31 The Trails (Individual trails listed separately)
32 Area 1- Ouray, Silverton, Lake City, Telluride
86 Area 2- Crested Butte, Aspen, Marble, Gunnison
116 Area 3- Buena Vista, Salida, Sargents
154 Area 4- Vail, Leadville, Fairplay
186 Area 5- Breckenridge, Bailey, Idaho Springs, Montezuma
226 Area 6- Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Pikes Peak Region
252 Area 7- Sangre De Cristo Mountains Great Sand Dunes National Park
263 Appendix
264 GPS Basics
GPS Coordinates
268 Glossary
274 References & Reading
275 Addresses & Phone Numbers
277 Index
281 The Author & His Vehicles
286 75 Trails, Complete Trail Listing

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Great book. Woodsman's got the same one and a couple of others . . . dreaming of the day when more time is available to hit some of these trails.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
This is a great book, be sure to get the 2nd edition.

If your going to Moab before or after The Summit, they have also done the trails in Moab, Canyonland NP and Arches NP.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
If you guys want to buy a spiral-bound version check here...FunTreks Guidebooks
X2, buy straight from the small publisher and they'll spiral bound it for you. Even though Amazon is cheaper, more money goes directly to the indy publisher / writer this way. I think mine even came signed.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If you guys want to buy a spiral-bound version check here...FunTreks Guidebooks
Well, I was going to order from their web site, but not on an unsecured page (they should use https secured protocol).

If they've got a number to call, I'll try that. Otherwise, I won't be providing my credit card number on their order page...

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
when buying this book there are 2 additions...and the 2nd doesn't have all the trails the first one has(the 2nd one has new trails...but for some reason dropped a couple of trails also)....but I will honestly tell you...these books are like our bibles... the Moab book is pretty handy too. Main thing is though.. don't psych yourself out reading the trail description...sometimes it's a lil exaggerated. I've had to make it a habit to not read before I go.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Well, I was going to order from their web site, but not on an unsecured page (they should use https secured protocol).

If they've got a number to call, I'll try that. Otherwise, I won't be providing my credit card number on their order page...
When you click on "To Order", it directs you to https://secure.peakhosting.net/funtreks/index.php?page=order. Firefox is showing it as encrypted. Are you getting a different page?

I recommend and use temporary one-use virtual credit card numbers. Citibank offers it free for card-holders, but I am sure a lot of other banks offer it now. This way I don't have to worry about any long-term storage/hacking issues with the merchants I order from.

-Edmond

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Nope, no redirection to a secure page. I'm clicking on the To Order link, and it takes me to a regular http page.

No matter, I'll go back to the site and see if they've got a phone number. If so, I'll call in the order tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts