·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is awesome...

From the product description...

Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-479.995 MHz
Upgrade the frame material. Metallic, more durable and more fashionable.:lol:
With full high two colors LED definition display, the screen exquisite clarity.:rocker:
The new English, German, French instruction, more convenient and more humanized. :worried:
The New 2013 packing, more beautiful and quite well-done. :jester:

Awesome LOL:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
i bought 3.

·
Premium Member
10,788 Posts
G'day OC,
Linky broken ... it no worky
but beautiful packed I'm sure
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

cheers
Baz
:cheers:
:blueblob::blueblob::blueblob:

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'll try to make this as short as possible:cheers:

There are radio waves that make up a wide spectrum of frequencies, from very large (100s of meters wide) to very small (microwaves). The FCC and international consensus decided to divide the bandwidth into sections, allocating different bands for different uses, such as television, am/fm radio, and different kinds communications. This is loosely based on the properties of the band and its optimum use. Gi Joe walkie talkies fall under one of the regulated bands, but radios are legally limited by frequency and power. CB or civil band radio is limited to 5 watts, however some people amplify their signal beyond the 5 watts and creates interference with other radios. This creates a lot of static on the channels. HAM or Amateur Radio is self policing and requires a license to operate on those allocated frequencies. This keeps interference down. Also, HAM equipment is generally only limited power wise, to the minimum it takes to complete the communication. This can be over 1000 watts.

Any one else, please chime in to clarify or correct me!:cheers:

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
So I guess the majority of my ignorance lies in the bands. At some time or another it seems that one may want to use all of them. This radio in particular seems to be able to do many but not all. Why isn't there (or is there) a device that will work on all of them? Why do I have to buy a FRS radio, a CB, a HAM, etc. etc. ? It seems (an maybe because of how i think id use it) like I'd want a CB but if no one else has or is in range with a CB then I'd like to try something else. But if I didn't already have it at that point I'd be screwed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So I guess the majority of my ignorance lies in the bands. At some time or another it seems that one may want to use all of them. This radio in particular seems to be able to do many but not all. Why isn't there (or is there) a device that will work on all of them? Why do I have to buy a FRS radio, a CB, a HAM, etc. etc. ? It seems (an maybe because of how i think id use it) like I'd want a CB but if no one else has or is in range with a CB then I'd like to try something else. But if I didn't already have it at that point I'd be screwed.
You don't *need* to buy a radio. But you'll have a lot more fun if you can listen and talk on the same sort of radio / bands your friends use. Around here, most of the off-roading clubs use HAM radios on the 2m band. You can get cheap 2m radios cheaply (see OP).

Occasionally someone will show up to a local run wanting to use a CB... but finding others willing and able to use CBs here is decreasing rapidly. I'm one of the few left with both CB and 2m in my rigs... but I'm likely to ditch the CB at any time. Even with an expensive CB radio, CB sucks in sound quality and range in comparison to 2m.

Haven't seen FRS used on a club run in ages.

In short, get your HAM ticket (it's an easy test) and an inexpensive 2m radio (the above radio is a good starter radio).

Oh, and you won't find one device that does them all... for legal and technical reasons.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To be legally sold in the US, radios need FCC "Equipment Authorization" (in the olden days, it was "Type Acceptance"). There are different restrictions for each radio service - for example, FRS radios cannot have detachable antennas - so generally a radio will have EA for one particular radio service. Most 2m/440 rigs are capable of transmitting outside the ham bands, but must be restricted to not do so "out of the box" to get that EA. Modification to remove the restriction is often easy - just removal of a (tiny surface mount) diode or resistor. Transmitting on a non ham-band is probably still illegal, since the radio is not Equipment Authorised for the other bands....

·
Registered
832 Posts
These work good, I have used them before. They need to be programmed when you get them, no mods necessary. I am told they are shipped as "toys".
Don't expect $300 HT quality, but they're not bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,082 Posts
I have two. They are difficult to program unless you use a computer, but it's great to be able to program in public service and ham frequencies!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive been playing with one for about 3 weeks. Taking my test next week, then i'll hook up the 8900R

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
A bunch of the local club members have been buying these BaoFeng handhelds as starters for high school kids just getting into HAM radio. So far there's not many complaints, and the one unit that I know for sure that died was quickly replaced by a donor for another $40. I have and use a +$300 Yaesu VX-6R handheld myself, and now I sort of feel bad for paying that much.

In all seriousness though, can someone that knows radio stuff tell me what all that stuff means? I barely know the difference between a CB and a walkie talkie.

And by talkie talkie I mean
Apologies, but I can't help but give you the smart-ass Blue Room explanation...

Actually all those flourescent green spots in that area are the HAM bands.

And yes, I do own that poster! :lol:

You can buy it for $10 from ThinkGeek - ThinkGeek :: Electromagnetic Radiation Spectrum Poster

Here's the giant image link - http://www.infohow.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Electromagnetic-Spectrum-A.jpg

:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts