Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put a new muffler on my FJ. I don't really want to spend $400-500 on a bolt on cat-back system (otherwise I'd probably get the AFE system), and plan to just have my local muffler shop weld it all up. They have done good work for me in the past with my Mustangs, and I think it is the FJs turn now.

The guys at the shop suggested Magnaflow, but I had one on my 03 Tacoma and the drone while cruising was kinda annoying. I'm worried it would be the same with the FJ too.

I'm for something that has a more agressive note, but not that "import tuner" sound. I'd like as deep of a rumble if possible with an import V6, and anything that has a minimal drone is appreciated.

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
I'm for something that has a more agressive note, but not that "import tuner" sound. I'd like as deep of a rumble if possible with an import V6, and anything that has a minimal drone is appreciated.
Do you ever offroad it? If so, be careful about where the exhaust pipe is located. The TRD cat-back kit for the FJ comes out the side, I've seen a lot of other exhaust pipe tips get crushed flat under the rear bumper because they went straight out the back.

You don't have to get the TRD kit, but if you offroad occasionally you might want to be mindful of where the exhaust pipe comes out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you ever offroad it? If so, be careful about where the exhaust pipe is located. The TRD cat-back kit for the FJ comes out the side, I've seen a lot of other exhaust pipe tips get crushed flat under the rear bumper because they went straight out the back.
Yeah, I'll have things routed so that I have all the clearance I need. I'm mostly worried about the sound at this point.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personal preference for mufflers. There isn't a single best one.
I didn't ask for the "best" one. Just looking for some recommendations that fit what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, YouTube isn't a lot of help with getting an accurate sound of an exhaust, and especially how it sounds in the cab when cruising.

I wasn't a fan of the Magnaflow I had on my 3.4L Tacoma (too ricy and annoying drone at highway speeds)

I have only heard the TRD setup in person and I'd like something a little more agressive.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I didn't ask for the "best" one. Just looking for some recommendations that fit what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, YouTube isn't a lot of help with getting an accurate sound of an exhaust, and especially how it sounds in the cab when cruising.

I wasn't a fan of the Magnaflow I had on my 3.4L Tacoma (too ricy and annoying drone at highway speeds)

I have only heard the TRD setup in person and I'd like something a little more agressive.
Everyone has different tastes and perceptions to sound and drone. Good for one is bad to another so there isn't one best muffler.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Personal preference for mufflers. There isn't a single best one.
Couldn't agree more. Personally I think the stock muffler sounds great. My buddy has a fart can on his car that he thinks is the coolest thing ever. I won't ride with him because you can barely have a conversation while he's driving.

·
Registered
124 Posts
personal preference yes, but maybe someone has some suggestions for options. I'm interested as well for low highway drone with a little more growl. I do like the tuck and increased pipe diameter of the all pro but any good shop could bend that up

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I haven't tried it on the FJC yet, but I have had good experience on several V6 vehicles with the Dynomax Super Turbo 17748. Nice low throb at idle, you hear it on accel but no drone at cruise. Free flowing design and not too expensive. I also tried the 14" body version and it was too loud and ricey, the 20" body is the one to have.

·
Registered
854 Posts
With more 'growl' usually it increases the odds of 'drone' at cruise speed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I really liked the look of the AFE 3" side exit exhaust,( Exhaust Systems Cat-Back MACH Force-Xp Cat-Back 3in*SS-409 Exhaust Systems; Toyota FJ Cruiser 07-14 V6-4.0L 49-46003 - aFe Power) which I bought but after several months I couldn't stand the drone at freeway speeds. So I changed out the muffler to a Magnaflow 12592 (the AFE and Magnaflow muffler are almost exactly the same dimensions, with the Magnaflow slightly bigger) It helped when I changed the muffler but I also got rid of the LARGE side exit pipe, as that amplified the sound. Called AFE and asked if I could switch out the side exit pipe for a high tuck and they said yes with a simple cut on the pipe to make it fit. Did that, and it worked, but still not quiet enough for my older ears. I have to mention I also have URD Spec'd headers and a Doug Thorley Y pipe that adds to the loud mix. Finally went with URD Spec U cat back (Underdog Racing Development) and now I'm satisfied, the drone at freeway speed is gone and it still has that deep tone. I believe the additional small muffler on the URD system really tames the sound especially at freeway speeds. Also, it looks like the URD system uses the same Magnaflow muffler I bought earlier, though the pipe is centered, not off-set like my old Magnaflow, AFE or stock muffler. Approximate cost for getting something that looks good but after I got it, doesn't sound good, around $1200 or so.

Kind of like my ex-wife:wink:wink:wink
Whew! Hope this helps.

Aloha, J.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I have a flopro, not exactly sure what size, but I like it a lot. I'm willing to measure the size of someone wants to share where to measure from.:)
It is tucked way higher than the stock one and is smaller. It has a nice growl, does not drone much on the highway, and only sounds a tad ricey when floored all the way. I don't mind it though. It's no where near as bad as the ones you here on civics and such. At lower rpm it has more o a growl compared to the stock 'drone'. ImageUploadedByAG Free1434664087.843147.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
i have a Magnaflow one in two out and it sounds great , you aren't going to get a V6 to sound like a V8 no matter what you get

·
Registered
63 Posts
aeroturbine 2525xl, trust me. the at2525 is wayyyyy to loud. sounds sick, but annoying. i have the at2525 and had to add the ar25 resonator to tone it down. love the sound now.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,077 Posts
Why not ask forum vendor BAMufflers/dirtydeeds? He can probably tell you right off what would sound like what you're looking for and even make a setup if you wanted. Keith knows his stuff and is a great guy too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts