Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I went with the MBRP high tuck....increase in cab sound when cruising yet not overpowering...slight growl better than stock. Meant for off-road yet still needs a trim to equalize exhaust with level of rear bumper...overall pleased....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm installing a TRD cat-back exhaust this week and can let you know how it differs from stock. I was looking for a more robust exhaust without being over the top. I'll let you know how the TRD fits that criteria.

EDIT:

Had the TRD installed and like it, but don't love it. Not as deep a rumble as I would have liked. I can tell a difference, but the sound is not significantly different from stock. I would go with another option than the TRD if you are looking for more rumble.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I am looking to put a new muffler on my FJ. I don't really want to spend $400-500 on a bolt on cat-back system (otherwise I'd probably get the AFE system), and plan to just have my local muffler shop weld it all up. They have done good work for me in the past with my Mustangs, and I think it is the FJs turn now.

The guys at the shop suggested Magnaflow, but I had one on my 03 Tacoma and the drone while cruising was kinda annoying. I'm worried it would be the same with the FJ too.

I'm for something that has a more agressive note, but not that "import tuner" sound. I'd like as deep of a rumble if possible with an import V6, and anything that has a minimal drone is appreciated.

Any recommendations?
From experience the FJ is prone to drone, a increase in sound much beyond stock level will produce drone, they go hand in hand on the FJ. Fitting the longest Magnaflow would be my suggestion if you need to change but this will not produce much of a sound increase... I have the AFE 3" after six months the sound increased a lot and now a couple of years latter the sound is cool for hard acceleration but far too loud for cruising, keeping in mind I am not 20 either. I would suggest saving your money, leave it stock.
:smile

·
Registered
482 Posts
I wasn't a fan of the Magnaflow I had on my 3.4L Tacoma (too ricy and annoying drone at highway speeds).
I have had the Magnaflow on my 3.4 3rd gen 4Runner for over 10 years and have never had any droning. I think there were about 4 different lengths of muffler in the in/out + diameter that I needed to fit the stock pipes. I believe I went with the 3rd longest as the shorter ones had complaints about droning on the forums.

So I wouldn't give up on Magnaflow, just make sure you pick the right size for the sound you want. The shorter lengths are louder, but also higher chance of highway drone.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the Borla cat-back and i love mine. OP, I know you don't want a cat-back but i'll bet just the muffler sounds good

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I put a flow master CAT back on & have been pretty happy with it for that last 7 years.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's expensive but I did the dual Borla. I don't off road just use it as an Urban crawler from NJ to Long Island over the cross Bronx climbing out of giant pot holes and over curbs and across medians. I love my dual exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's expensive but I did the dual Borla. I don't off road just use it as an Urban crawler from NJ to Long Island over the cross Bronx climbing out of giant pot holes and over curbs and across medians. I love my dual exhaust.
what is the borla exhaust system you went with?

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
URD makes one, including y-pipe. They brag about unique sound and have a significant HP bump. Im going this direction after my wife recovers from my Expedition One dual swing bumper.

Anyone willing to post audio of their modified systems?

·
Desert Moderator
6,245 Posts
Cut the pipe and have it exit in front of the passenger rear wheel like a G55/63. It'll sound awesome.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts