Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum Friends! As of last month I paid off my FJ and now I can begin my dream build for her. Currently my daily with 140k miles. 2007. Second owner.

My current automotive knowledge is about Novice so I would highly appreciate input from experienced FJ owners.

I want to start my build with a 6 inch lift. I was looking at the rough country kit, but I've read a few negative things about their kits. Damage to axles, rubbing, and I don't want to have to upgrade parts that should already be included in a kit. In Addition, I also want 18-20 wheels with 35-37 tires. I really like these XD837 DEMODOGs.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=XD83729067900BGT&wheelMake=KMC+XD+Series&wheelModel=XD837+Demodog&wheelFinish=Black+Machined+w%2FGrey+Tint&showRear=no&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=FJ+Cruiser&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=&packageSearch=true

Would I run into any issues with that type of setup? I also wanted to change the front and rear bumpers to "Body Armor" which would give me more clearance in the front.

Body Armor FJ Cruiser Front Bumper [FJ-19336] - $770.00 : Pure FJ Cruiser Accessories, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota FJ Cruiser

After doing that I would have to 're-gear' cause of the larger tires and i'm not sure where I would purchase the parts for that.

I also want to replace the whole exhaust system. From the Headers to the Tail pipe. I want a Borla Stainless Steel Cat-Back exhaust and I found the JBA 1.5" FJ Cruiser Cat4ward Shorty Headers that look good.

Borla Stainless Steel Cat-Back System 2007-2009 [140200] - $825.99 : Pure FJ Cruiser Accessories, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota FJ Cruiser
JBA 1.5 FJ Cruiser Cat4ward Shorty Headers; Stainless 07-09 FJ Cruiser [2035S] - $435.00 : Pure FJ Cruiser Accessories, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota FJ Cruiser

What would be your input on this setup? Would I have to purchase other parts for this to work? If welding is required I would have to take a trip down to the muffler shop for them to install, but would prefer doing it myself.

I want to do everything as clean as possible and replace as many worn 'Trim' parts through the process. After all the replacement parts I want are installed I want to finish her in a Raptor Black Truck Bed Liner paint job. Any helpful words are highly appreciated! I hope to hear from you!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome!!

Your build sounds pretty aggressive as a DIY for someone who says their knowledge is novice. You will certainly get a lot of good information on this site but unless you follow another build exactly you will be dealing with items unique to your build and stuffing 35-37" tires into the wheel wells takes some consideration.

If it were me... I would find a shop familiar with FJ Cruisers that I trusted and work with them to lay out a plan. Work with them to ensure you have lined out all the mods necessary for your build from lift and BMC to re-gearing and exhaust. Work with them to determine what you can do yourself and what they will help you with. I would also ask the shop to allow me to observe any of the work they do so that I could learn and then deal with any repairs down the road on my own.

good luck with your build, sounds like you really have a vision for your truck and I look forward to seeing pictures when your done.

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,176 Posts
Welcome.

Lots of info on here using the search functions or a search from Google. If you’re setting your FJ up for road use then your proposed should be fine. If you’re wanting to wheel it then you might be best to look at a 3” lift only and staying with 16 or 17” wheels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome.

Lots of info on here using the search functions or a search from Google. If you’re setting your FJ up for road use then your proposed should be fine. If you’re wanting to wheel it then you might be best to look at a 3” lift only and staying with 16 or 17” wheels.
Mainly Road use. what benefits are their to 16-17'' wheels vs 18-20''? just a chance of damaging them in the process?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome!!

Your build sounds pretty aggressive as a DIY for someone who says their knowledge is novice. You will certainly get a lot of good information on this site but unless you follow another build exactly you will be dealing with items unique to your build and stuffing 35-37" tires into the wheel wells takes some consideration.

If it were me... I would find a shop familiar with FJ Cruisers that I trusted and work with them to lay out a plan. Work with them to ensure you have lined out all the mods necessary for your build from lift and BMC to re-gearing and exhaust. Work with them to determine what you can do yourself and what they will help you with. I would also ask the shop to allow me to observe any of the work they do so that I could learn and then deal with any repairs down the road on my own.

good luck with your build, sounds like you really have a vision for your truck and I look forward to seeing pictures when your done.
Hello LGRT!

To paint a better story this is my 5th automobile. My previous truck was a 1996 Jeep Cherokee which I basically resurrected from sitting for 5 years. Replaced a lot of parts and modded a lot of things myself, but not always in the best way. I'm also only 23 years old with a logistics job. I have a big imagination when it comes to my FJ. My main goal is to obtain the information for the what should be done first in sequence with replacements and tips on not to mess things up in the process. Also the cheapest way possible would be preferred. I want my money to go into the Cruiser and not to some guys insane labor rate. Plus doing it myself is something I enjoy to do just wish I had guidance along the way.

I look forward to sharing updates of my FJ in the future. Been waiting for it to warm up outside to start throwing on my mods. Gotta love Chicago weather. Cheers!

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,176 Posts
A smaller rim diameter gives you a higher profile tire so yes less chance of wrecking a rim but also a less harsh ride on a 70 profile tire over a 40 or 50 profile. Off-road the higer profile has advantages on being able to air down as well as ride, flexibility and rim protection but it’s a matter of personal preference for road use.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
41,622 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome from Chicagoland, and congrats on your FJ! LGRT's advice is sound. If you're mechanically inclined in general, you won't find it too hard to tackle things yourself, but your plans involve more complicated tasks with dependencies. We look forward to seeing your progress!

·
Premium Member
17,098 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Welcome from Chicagoland, and congrats on your FJ! LGRT's advice is sound. If you're mechanically inclined in general, you won't find it too hard to tackle things yourself, but your plans involve more complicated tasks with dependencies. We look forward to seeing your progress!

I agree, LGRT’s videos helped me quite a bit with some DIY on my FJ.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tip on the cats... There are 2 different types. Use the wrong cats and you'll get the Christmas tree dash. Check the sticker under the hood to see if your FJ is equipped for California emissions. If that sticker contains the word "California" on it anywhere, it has the California emissions equipment.
FYI: I just swapped mine out with some from MagnaFlow and they're great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tip on the cats... There are 2 different types. Use the wrong cats and you'll get the Christmas tree dash. Check the sticker under the hood to see if your FJ is equipped for California emissions. If that sticker contains the word "California" on it anywhere, it has the California emissions equipment.
FYI: I just swapped mine out with some from MagnaFlow and they're great.
I don't think that will be an issue I'll face in Illinois, but thank you for the information!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little update on my FJ

I have a pile of mod parts in my hallway. :D

I've had to put $2k in service on her for trans lines, trans flush, broken caliper, power steering repair, and rotors. D:>

Windows received tinting and window deflectors. :D

Today my Truck went into the shop to have my new headers and borla exhaust installed. Finding a place to do the job was a challenge in Joliet. :D

*header cats are being deleted. When it becomes an issue i'll have cats added in about 10 months* :B

side quest: I bought a 1989 jeep comanche Eliminator that I also have BIG dreams for. Friday the 4th of may i'll be driving with my dad 8 hours to Pennsylvania and back with my new baby. This is my first manual vehicle and its a personal dream truck of mine. Along with learning to drift manual I will be mastering manual at the same time. After shes all paid off I plan to slam her down and add quite a few performance mods. :D

Good news: I have accepted a higher compensating position at my workplace which will allow my visions come to reality much faster. :D

Having access to a second vehicle will help when the other is in the shop. And to split up my daily drive miles. Fj in the winter into spring. Comanche summer into fall.

Sidenote: I'm not sure if i'm the first person to think FJ stands for "fake jeep" and now i'm getting a Jeep pickup. Technically a jeep but its a pickup.

Have a Good day guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Hi and welcome!

New Update on my Build!

In my previous postings I mentioned I wanted to Buy "Body Armor" front and rear bumpers.
I paid for both of them and currently sitting in my Garage! HUGE milestone for my project.

Currently, I still live with my parents and our garage is chock full of boxes with cabinets. We have been in the process of remodeling our kitchen. Hopefully in a month from now it will be completely finished. After that I will have enough space in the Garage to access my auto tools and start "Phase 1" of the exterior modifications.

I have purchased a Tuffy Center Console insert for my FJ. It definitely is an expensive option to be able to accommodate your passenger with an arm rest, but it is very well built. All metal, Very comfy top, lockable. I opted not to do the drilling for the 3rd secure point.

I have been slowly collecting small things to add to my vehicles. For my FJ I got several different switches for under the radio I am excited to add. Cough*VSC switch for the winter ;) I got a Phantom QuickDraw that fits very nicely with my 40 cal. I bought caps for the air valves on the wheels that have the Toyota symbol on them for $2 off of the wish app, I would recommend them!

I have already made the rear platforms for being able to lay down in the back level, also added a metal rod for ability to open the rear hatch from within the vehicle, light drilling required. Also added the mesh storage pocket for the rear hatch, perfect for holding my lockout kit and gloves for doing roadside service, side job. I will add photos on my next update.

Have a great day everyone! Happy Saint Patrick's Day! (Its tomorrow!)

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Welcome from another "novice" DIY-er in Northern California.

I don't know much about Rough Country lifts firsthand, but I imagine you get what you pay for. However, if you're just wanting something that looks good on the road and won't be tested offroad, it might be fine. Don't be in too big of a rush to change your suspension. You'll find patient research invaluable in this regard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts