Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Been a member here for awhile, but I am currently studying for my Technician license, and I have the Baofeng BF-F8HP on order as my first radio (for $45 I might add, great deal).

However, I am not really sure where this will go, my wish is to have communications on hikes / off road in emergencies, picking up broadcasts, etc. I realize how in depth this all is after pursuing my license, but any advice on how to pace yourself, what steps you took, and why you ended up with more gear, full installs in the FJ, etc? Is the General license to transmit on HF worth it in your opinion?

Sorry, this ended up more or less as a general post, but I just wanted to see what the HAM / FJ community has to say.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Hello! I have the same radio. :) I didn't see the benefit to get a General license for what I want to do. The Technical license gives me more than enough opportunity to use the radio so I don't plan on getting more equipment. If it's not on the test, a common mistake is transmitting on the FRS/GMRS frequencies (not allowed unless an emergency). Monitoring is OK. I also carry a blister pack FRS/GMRS radio if I want to talk.

Gook luck on the test!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had my Tech license for over 25 years and have never felt the need to upgrade. As a matter of fact I had not used it in ages until I got the FJ and started offroading.
Radios... So I have a 75 watt mobile unit on the dash where most FJs have the instrument cluster. Works great there. If I had the instrument cluster I would probably mount it over head, or use a detachable face unit either overhead by the rearview, or mounted on a RAM mount somewhere in the center. I have a couple Baofengs and love them. You can't beat them for the price. For just talking to other vehicles an HT will be more than enough. We usually are out solo so I wanted more power. I have the Baofengs for 'dismounted' use or for loaning to other vehicles (just to listen).

I do plan to put in a nicer antenna sometime but so far I just have a mag mount and it works great.

Lets see, advice... Get a repeater book or download an app for it. Spring for the programing cable and SW. You might only use it once but it is worth it.

Good luck on your test!

N9RGK

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
If your into amateur radio as a hobby the general license makes sense. Long range emergencies are better served with satellite 2 way texting devices. Most just want an amateur license for better trail communications and a technician's license more than covers it.

The license test doesn't cover programing of radio equipment, locating repeaters in your area, offsets... USB cable with CHIRP software works much better than provided Baofeng software, but still requires that you know what freq.s your using. On any radio manually imputing repeater settings is tedious.

Excellent resource for Baofeng radios: http://www.miklor.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts