Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2007 Base FJ Cruiser
Discussion Starter #1
It really fell into my lap at the right time after my SUV kicked the bucket. Finally an FJ I can call mine and make great memories in! Working on replacing rusted parts and undercoating before winter.

Any suggestions/tips and tricks are welcome as I'm researching and lurking all the time.
Already found a maintenance manual PDF and owners manual to reference. Hope to make some acquaintances near and far!

2007 / Base / 78000 miles

It's not yellow, it's "SUN FUSION"馃馃敟

Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
Welcome from (FLAT!) Tampa, Fl

A few tips...

Do not drive behind Semi-Trucks and Dump Trucks or you will get chips in your hood or a cracked windshield.

If you wax your front windshield you can skip using your wipers in heavy rain. I have used a product called REJEX for 20 years, It does not leave a film. I use it as my primary wax for everything, great stuff! The wax also makes it easier to get the bugs off and ...

The cleaning tip I found is to wet down the bugs to soften them and then wipe with dryer sheets. The softener in the dryer sheets and the water makes the bugs come off. I keep some in the FJ to clean my windows on trips.

Low parking decks and FJ roof racks do not play nice together Caution!

Infamous Blind Spot鈥 Something that has helped me is to speed up or slow down before merging over, adjusting my speed helps eliminate people camping out in my blind spot.

I wanted a locking gas cap but wanted a way that I would not lose it at the gas station. The tether strap would not work. This was my solution...

I glued a neodymium magnet to the back of the locking gas cap. This type magnet is super strong. Buy one about the size of a nickel, it should be plenty strong. You can get them at HD or Lowes. I take the gas cap off and attach it to the inside of the open gas cap door cover when pumping gas.

I upgraded the inside bulbs (Diode Dynamics)and easy to do. I have an overhead console and tried to replace the map lights. The map light lenses do not come out easily and I ended up damaging one of mine recommended not replacing.

At the back bumper I replaced the bolts on the inside and outside flooring/bumper with stainless steel screws much better look and lower profile. I think you can purchase them in aircraft stainless steel which I believe is black to match the bumper.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

Registered
2007 Base FJ Cruiser
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome. She is a beauty. Your Fusion with the no roof rack is a great look.

What was your previous SUV that died?
I had a 2001 Ford explorer. Engine wouldn't crank past a certain point. Would have cost more than what it was worth to just find the problem.

Registered
2007 Base FJ Cruiser
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from (FLAT!) Tampa, Fl

A few tips...

Do not drive behind Semi-Trucks and Dump Trucks or you will get chips in your hood or a cracked windshield.

If you wax your front windshield you can skip using your wipers in heavy rain. I have used a product called REJEX for 20 years, It does not leave a film. I use it as my primary wax for everything, great stuff! The wax also makes it easier to get the bugs off and ...

The cleaning tip I found is to wet down the bugs to soften them and then wipe with dryer sheets. The softener in the dryer sheets and the water makes the bugs come off. I keep some in the FJ to clean my windows on trips.

Low parking decks and FJ roof racks do not play nice together Caution!

Infamous Blind Spot鈥 Something that has helped me is to speed up or slow down before merging over, adjusting my speed helps eliminate people camping out in my blind spot.

I wanted a locking gas cap but wanted a way that I would not lose it at the gas station. The tether strap would not work. This was my solution...

I glued a neodymium magnet to the back of the locking gas cap. This type magnet is super strong. Buy one about the size of a nickel, it should be plenty strong. You can get them at HD or Lowes. I take the gas cap off and attach it to the inside of the open gas cap door cover when pumping gas.

I upgraded the inside bulbs (Diode Dynamics)and easy to do. I have an overhead console and tried to replace the map lights. The map light lenses do not come out easily and I ended up damaging one of mine recommended not replacing.

At the back bumper I replaced the bolts on the inside and outside flooring/bumper with stainless steel screws much better look and lower profile. I think you can purchase them in aircraft stainless steel which I believe is black to match the bumper.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
Good wax tip! I have noticed with the angle it does catch way more bugs.

To my surprise in one of the back compartments it has a locking gas cap. I'll be switching to that soon, that magnet idea spot on.

I'll indeed check out replacing those screws since I know they are a bit rusted. I'm hoping to swap out as much rusty parts as possible.

Thankyou!

Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
One last thing.... Could not tell if your's had rock rails...

I replaced my stock rock rails with running boards. I live in Florida and had these heavy duty original rock rails that protect me from all those big boulders (None) in Florida but can鈥檛 protect me from the idiots dinging my doors in a parking lot!! I had a plan to add washers and longer bolts and extend the rails out for something to step on and also provide protection from door dings but could not get it to work the way I liked.
When I took the original rock rails off I realized they weighed about 40 pounds each, very substantial but I鈥檓 not sure it helped my gas mileage. I looked and looked and could not find anything that I liked for under $400 then I found some tyger running boards. They have a great look and finish and are substantial. The rails have the company name and some stars built-in to the running boards, I like basic but they are

not too over the top Purchased them for about $300. The packing they come in was the best I have ever seen and great quality. One tip I found was to use the Styrofoam blocks in the box to put under while taking off my old rails and installing the new rails as I did it with one person.

Regards, Andy

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><.

Registered
2007 Base FJ Cruiser
Discussion Starter #8
One last thing.... Could not tell if your's had rock rails...

I replaced my stock rock rails with running boards. I live in Florida and had these heavy duty original rock rails that protect me from all those big boulders (None) in Florida but can鈥檛 protect me from the idiots dinging my doors in a parking lot!! I had a plan to add washers and longer bolts and extend the rails out for something to step on and also provide protection from door dings but could not get it to work the way I liked.
When I took the original rock rails off I realized they weighed about 40 pounds each, very substantial but I鈥檓 not sure it helped my gas mileage. I looked and looked and could not find anything that I liked for under $400 then I found some tyger running boards. They have a great look and finish and are substantial. The rails have the company name and some stars built-in to the running boards, I like basic but they are

not too over the top Purchased them for about $300. The packing they come in was the best I have ever seen and great quality. One tip I found was to use the Styrofoam blocks in the box to put under while taking off my old rails and installing the new rails as I did it with one person.

Regards, Andy

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><.
Very nice look. I'll keep TYGER in mind when I swap in a new suspension kit with a tasteful lift.

Premium Member
Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Yimmie

Premium Member
Welcome from Oregon :)

Registered
Hi Yimmie, welcome from the kinda flat Marion/Delaware part of Ohio!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts