Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,480 Posts
Hi, I just bought mine this week, see picture. I looked at the site I believe you have bought yours from, looks good. I am interested in your progress as since I announced my intention to buy and subsequent purchase, folks a contacting me to see where to get one from. Best regards. Nick View attachment 1207544
Nice Magma. If you get people asking mine is for sale (sadly) they won’t have to wait for shipping!

With regard to Admiral beware! I had mine insured on my multi car initially, They couldn’t find an FJ then either but had the underwrtiers add one.. Mods declared, when it came to renewal they told me mods were not covered so they’d taken my money for a year on a car they didn’t insure!! I advise sticking to companies that deal with modified and odd ball vehicles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just thinking & hope it’s not a stupid question, but why have you suggested you may wire in something or use a mobile phone for MPH as I believe the Lockwood conversion is simply a cover with the desired conversion with effectively no hassle for little price.
Gauge Measuring instrument Speedometer Font Auto part

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice Magma. If you get people asking mine is for sale (sadly) they won’t have to wait for shipping!

With regard to Admiral beware! I had mine insured on my multi car initially, They couldn’t find an FJ then either but had the underwrtiers add one.. Mods declared, when it came to renewal they told me mods were not covered so they’d taken my money for a year on a car they didn’t insure!! I advise sticking to companies that deal with modified and odd ball vehicles.
All very odd, never had an issue with Admiral.
My registration for the FJ came up on their systems with no issue & similarly I used to have a highly modified rally replica previously & again never had issues with them.
Everyone has different experiences all the time, in fact for my 3 cars my renewal in total is around £600 so I guess horses for courses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just thinking & hope it’s not a stupid question, but why have you suggested you may wire in something or use a mobile phone for MPH as I believe the Lockwood conversion is simply a cover with the desired conversion with effectively no hassle for little price.
View attachment 1207609
Good Afternoon,
I ) suggested wiring in a pulsemeter as that converts the pulse to MPH. would require blanking the letter K on the dial face. This is easy enough to do.
2) I suggested (1) above, absent any understanding, (until advised by ZerosFJ), that it was possible to pass the MOT (given the cars age) without having to convert the speedometer. In this circumstance a third party GPS device could be used to reflect MPH.
3) I fully appreciate that the above is as simple as (1) above and has the benefit of two speed measures. (mph and kph).

Regards

FJ Resurrection

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks Nick.

Like the Orange car. Attractive colour.

Will keep this forum posted on progress.

Regards

Good afternoon

Sent the last two days getting marine insurance quotes. Most insurers do not insure cars over 10 years old. Charterhouse Underwriting in Portsmouth proved to be good value. Anyone considering this route should always check that General Average losses are covered.

Also have a ship space booked for next week. ETA 9 weeks. Sooner than I was expecting.

Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you.

1) Your advice on LPG is noted.
2) The article on head units was instructive. That Pioneer unit seems like extremely good value.
3) I will contact Southwestrustproofing
4) @ZerosFJ was informative that given the age the car could pass its MOT with a KPH dial. Gives me time to investigate a secondary option via a headunit and OBD or GPS stand alone.
5) good to hear insurance is not difficult.
6) Always willing to use a wrench an screwdriver.

Regards
Afternoon Hotfuzz

When Southwestrustproofing did your car, did they unclip the fender arches etc to treat behind.?

Regards

·
Registered
126 Posts
Afternoon Hotfuzz

When Southwestrustproofing did your car, did they unclip the fender arches etc to treat behind.?

Regards

Do you mean the wheel arch extensions? Not sure they did, I’ve tried to look at all the photos I had from them in various stages however the link isn’t working at the moment.

I know they removed all the inner plastic wheel arch protectors and all other removable items underneath.
Omo FJ paid a little extra for the front bumper to be removed but in total I paid around £900 but that was early last year. I’m guessing it will be more now as everything is more expensive now!!

If you do opt for them it will be worth booking in sooner than later as I know there usually is a waiting list.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts