Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying a new grill for camping and tailgating. Wondering what everyone has or recommends. I like the ease of gas because charcoal can be a little messy when tailgating (ash all over the car). Was looking at the Coleman Road Trip Grill and the Weber Q100. Any opinions?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Don't do any tailgating but I like my camp chef 2 burner grill with my griddle attachment. Not to big to carry, big enuff to cook whatever I want on it.

·
fka rsidey
948 Posts
I've used the Coleman Road Trip grill while tailgating for years and love it. Easy to set up, quick tp preheat and cooks nicely. Easy to clean as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Weber Q220 and love it. Just have to oil up the grates and keep em clean of course. The Q100 uses the small LP bottles and works well.
The company I work for is a Weber Alliance dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
All around best Grill for traveling, camping, tailgating or urban assault on Alabama tube steaks.... "Margaritaville Tailgating Grill w/swing out arm"!

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,058 Posts
The Volocano Grill is great. So is the Snow Peak BBQ Box. But they are both charcoal.
I have an Original and a small sized version of the Volcano that I've used for years and I love them. They are both charcoal. Their new grill can be used with wood, charcoal, or with it's propane attachment and it is made so that it collapses down to about 1/2 the size of the old one. I have one but haven't gotten to use it yet. You can grill or use a pan top and if you are into dutch oven cooking they work great for that too. Very efficient too.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Don't like gas grill for meats. I have and use a Char-Broil Charcoal tabletop grill that I picked up for ~$25. I also have a small white gas MSR Whisperlite Stove that I use for water, etc... Nice because it uses the same fuel as my lantern.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Have a look at the cobb barbeque

·
Registered
497 Posts
Don't do any tailgating but I like my camp chef 2 burner grill with my griddle attachment. Not to big to carry, big enuff to cook whatever I want on it.
good choice! i have the 3 burner model, have the griddle as well as a single burner BBQ box. truly awesome setup, cant see myself needing much more:rocker:

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Camp chef gets far better ratings than the Colemans nowadays

Camp Chef. Make sure the grille is at least 20000 btus. the more the better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm also a big fan of the Volcano II stove/grill. Wood, charcoal, or propane choose whatever you desire at the time, it does them all. Plus it cleans up easy, and you can cook with a dutch over on it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up with the Weber Q 100. Big fan so far. I've cooked a bunch of bacon, burgers and sausages on it so far. It does suck that it doesn't have a stand with it standard, but I can buy one extra. Yesterday I just used it on a table we had tailgating. Worked just fine, no heat under it to damage the table. The cast iron grates provided perfectly even heat and it was hot enough in the cold/wind to crank out food quickly.

·
Banned
2 Posts
This is an old thread but thought I would share my "experience" since I had asked this question a couple of months (or more) ago.

The consensus seems to be with the Weber series on the forum. I had looked at the Coleman Roadtrip LXE because I liked the portable stand. I also liked the 2 burners (20k btu) with interchangeable tops; grill, coils, griddle. I liked the 2 rows of burners on the Q200 but not the stand. Couldn't make up my mind so bought both to compare.

I had determined I was not going to cook in the camper unless it was a necessity so I wanted to do breakfast and dinner outside for sure. I wanted/needed flexibility.....so here's where I am;

The Weber cooks good. It has a 12k btu burner that cooks better than I thought it would. I did not buy the stand and used it "as is". I bought the Coleman with the included stand plus the coil grates (it included grill grates). It cooks good as well.

I have chosen the Coleman https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-campfire-grill/ simply due to a couple of things. 20k BTU burners cook stuff (fried potatoes/boil water) much quicker than 12k BTU. Steaks turn out just as well. The versatility of the burners is a plus and the carrying case, which I don't have for the Q, is a real plus when traveling. Anyway, that's what I came up with. Don't get me wrong, the Q is an awesome grill; the Coleman just had some bling that I didn't seem to see in the Q. Cooking wise you can't go wrong with either.I also have the stainless Olympian, used 1 time in 4 years. Not that I can say its a good/bad grill but prefer cooking over the fire.Hope this helps someone in the future.Good Luck

1 - 20 of 34 Posts