Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have the item in your photo, I bought it from Kotulas.com
I will tell you that it comes in handy when wanting to cook over the campfire.
Many a steak or piece of chicken have been cooked on it.
Here's the link if anyone is interested:
https://www.kotulas.com/deals/outdoor-living/outdoor-cooking/bobaque-360-swivel-outdoor-campfire-grill

This is an old thread but thought I would share my "experience" since I had asked this question a couple of months (or more) ago.

The consensus seems to be with the Weber series on the forum. I had looked at the Coleman Roadtrip LXE because I liked the portable stand. I also liked the 2 burners (20k btu) with interchangeable tops; grill, coils, griddle. I liked the 2 rows of burners on the Q200 but not the stand. Couldn't make up my mind so bought both to compare.

I had determined I was not going to cook in the camper unless it was a necessity so I wanted to do breakfast and dinner outside for sure. I wanted/needed flexibility.....so here's where I am;

The Weber cooks good. It has a 12k btu burner that cooks better than I thought it would. I did not buy the stand and used it "as is". I bought the Coleman with the included stand plus the coil grates (it included grill grates). It cooks good as well.

I have chosen the Coleman https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-campfire-grill/ simply due to a couple of things. 20k BTU burners cook stuff (fried potatoes/boil water) much quicker than 12k BTU. Steaks turn out just as well. The versatility of the burners is a plus and the carrying case, which I don't have for the Q, is a real plus when traveling. Anyway, that's what I came up with. Don't get me wrong, the Q is an awesome grill; the Coleman just had some bling that I didn't seem to see in the Q. Cooking wise you can't go wrong with either.I also have the stainless Olympian, used 1 time in 4 years. Not that I can say its a good/bad grill but prefer cooking over the fire.Hope this helps someone in the future.Good Luck

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Even-Temp%E2%84%A2%20Propane%20Stove
EVEN-TEMP™ PROPANE STOVE
DETAILShttps://www.coleman.com/even-temp-propane-stove/2000020934.html
Item# 2000020934

This is not a grill, but love this little cook stove by Coleman

·
Registered
903 Posts
I just got a single burner butane stove from Gas One:

https://www.amazon.com/GS-3000-Portable-Carrying-Approved-Windscreen/dp/B01HHB2HK0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1529928237&sr=8-13&keywords=gas+one

The butane bottles are available at any restaurant supply store, world/asian market, etc. I bought a case of twelve bottles on Amazon for $23.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D7FYCI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like this stove because I only ever need one burner when camping, so this saves room in the FJ cargo area. It's small, light, comes with a hard case, and is economical to use. At 9,000 BTU it's just as hot as most Coleman and Camp Chef stoves.

·
Banned
2 Posts
We have a weber and it is the most reliable portable BBQ grill we have ever had. As for storing it. I use a big tupperware container. I put all my little gas tanks, utensils etc in it so everything is all together. Hope this helps

·
Registered
345 Posts
I really like the system we have, big fan of the Camp Chef stuff...

For meats, hobo dinners, bacon, and anything that would benefit from a little smoke flavor, we use this over a campfire:

Camp Chef Lumberjack

For veggies, sauces, pasta, and anything that needs better control of heat:

Camp Chef Everest 2

For pancakes, bacon, burgers, etc, we toss this on the stove which fits perfectly:

Lodge Reversible Cast Iron Griddle

Plus this thing is really handy and packs up fairly compact, gets strapped to the back of the rear seats and doesn't take up much room at all

Camp Chef Mesa Cook Station

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
In Colorado, when there is a burn ban, charcoal is prohibited. I have a blue rhino that can use charcoal or one pound propane bottles.

I recently bought a Green Mountain Grills Davy Crocket. It is a pellet smoker that can get hot enough to grill, 550°! It is 12 volt powered. It comes with a 120v/12v converter for home use or plug the cigarette lighter onto the truck. It also came with alligator clips to attach to a battery.

Not the most portable grill at 60 pounds and 33W x 24H x 13D, but it works great and would be ideal for a motorhome or a cabin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go to garage sales and find a waffle iron that has an aluminum grill. Strip the grill out and sew a simple bag to carry and store it in. Inexpensive, light and you don’t have to clean soot off it until you return home.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
I just had my first taste of the Cadac Safari. Great on all fronts, packs down small, grill, bbq, oven all in one with options for pizza stone and other bits. Very pleased with it. Mine runs of LP gas on the trailer but you can use with HP canisters too

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
That looks compact and convenient. I can't decide on a single burner or dual stove for convenience @ZerosFJ

Many good ideas in this thread. Right now I use a butane single burner like crazysanman for boiling but the flame is inconsistent with any wind and grilling grates for cooking over fire.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts