Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I own a 2010 model. I am hearing some grinding noise from sometime now in the rear differential. I believe that this happened due to not changing the oil at 40000 km as per the manual but at 150000 km.

I am not sure yet what the garage is going to say about this, but for a worse case scenario of requiring to replace it. Can some one provide me will a full specifications like the size, ratio and etc of this rear differential for me to find a replacement?

Please advise me and thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Id do a fluid change. Hold a flashlight to the stream to check for metal particles. Be sure to use synthetic oil and a new washer.

If this does not quiet things up, Id take the rear wheels off and check the brakes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the rear differential fluid change 3 to 4 times now. Also, the brake pads and disks are new. So. I don't think they are related.

The noise noticed when I am driving while my speed is between 0 to 100km/h without me touching the brakes.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Carefully examining the drain plug magnet and the used oil will tell you a LOT about what's happening inside the differential:

1. What type of debris was on the drain plug magnet at the FIRST oil change? Just some soft black sludge, soft black sludge with a few tiny hard particles, or soft black sludge with larger pieces of metal debris stuck to it?
2. What were the characteristics of the drained oil:
a) Essentially clear?
b) Dark, but still could see light through it in thin sections?
c) Dead black, but no metallic 'sparkles' visible in bright sunlight?
d) Any color, with clearly visible metallic 'sparkles' throughout?

Note that for 'special operating conditions" (" ... towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading") Toyota recommends changing the lube in both diffs at 15K mile (24K kilometer) intervals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts