Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was changing my spark plugs for the first time over the weekend. When I went to take the first one out I could not get a socket over the bolt head. So I looked down in there and saw that something was in the bottom not allowing my socket to pass down over the bolt on the spark plug. After a while of fishing around I was able to pull it out with a long thin screwdriver. It was a small set screw?????? :confused:

That was the only one I had like that. Has anyone else found anything interesting while changing there plugs?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Finding odd things in strange places is not all that uncommon. I found a assembly line wrench stuffed up in a fender well in a new pickup years ago. I kept hearing a rattle I could not track down and the wrench ended up being the cause.

Be happy that you got it out prior to pulling the plug and it did not drop into the cylinder :)

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Back in the days of "Super Sleds" I found a great man's watch under the driver's seat of a new 1975 Olds 98 I had when looking to mount a radio under the seat. Looke at is, said thank you, put it on, and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Not good. On the other hand, your spark plug looks VERY BAD! Your plugs should be clean from the thread out. If your cap isn't working and keeping the crud out of the little tube into which the plug slides to access the threads, you have a different problem. Did all of them look like this?

Keep us informed. I've never seen plugs out of an FJ that looked like that.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not good. On the other hand, your spark plug looks VERY BAD! Your plugs should be clean from the thread out. If your cap isn't working and keeping the crud out of the little tube into which the plug slides to access the threads, you have a different problem. Did all of them look like this?

Keep us informed. I've never seen plugs out of an FJ that looked like that.
All the ones on the passenger side pretty much looked like that. This one was the worst though. Everything was sealed good when I took it apart. So I am not sure how all this rust got on the plugs. The driver sides were normal though.

I am not to worried about it though because all the rust happened on the outside of the cylinder side.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
All the ones on the passenger side pretty much looked like that. This one was the worst though. Everything was sealed good when I took it apart. So I am not sure how all this rust got on the plugs. The driver sides were normal though.

I am not to worried about it though because all the rust happened on the outside of the cylinder side.
I'd be worried that moisture/water getting in there causing some seizing down the road. That or some seepage. Very spooky. IMHO, that these engines have the deep tubes you need to instert the plug into and that they're not the traditional outside the engine block plugs where water or moisture can't collect, makes it even more spooky.

I'm interested in hearing from others about this. That pic shows one nasty plug. And, if the entire bank is like that, I'd suspect there might be a problem with the dust seals.

Are you wheeling in deep water or hammering through monster puddles? Even so, shouldn't be flooding the plug cavities.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yep and there was a lot of rust pieces inside that Spark Plug Tube!

He did vacuum it out before he re-installed the plug.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
What kind of mileage did you guys have when the rusty plugs were pulled?

Also, do you live in a coastal or super humid area?

Toyota needs to read this thread.

Sorry for hijacking the thread away from the original post of the "gift" left in there by Toyota. This is just blowing my mind.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You can see where it was lodged against the Spark Plug.

I don't think they tightened it up at the factory either. And the bottom of the boot was scorched!

I thought it might have caused some damage to the inside of the tube wall, head, becuase you could tell where the spark plug was getting beat up by the set screw, wonder what the tube wall looks like?? How thick is the tube wall?

·
Registered
627 Posts
You can see where it was lodged against the Spark Plug.

I don't think they tightened it up at the factory either. And the bottom of the boot was scorched!

I thought it might have caused some damage to the inside of the tube wall, head, becuase you could tell where the spark plug was getting beat up by the set screw, wonder what the tube wall looks like?? How thick is the tube wall?
Always with the chery news Paul!:mecry:

We all live in the Tampa Florida area.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Oh hell no! That is 100% unsatisfactory. I would go back to Toyota and tell them to tear it apart to find out where the water is coming from. That is FAR beyond unsatisfactory.

Additionally, it is very apparent that the water is actually getting past the seat and onto the threads, which WILL cause these to freeze in the hole if you aren't very careful.

For what it's worth, I've never seen anything like this and would take this back immediately. I've owned two tacomas, two four runners, a tundra and this FJ, all models built since 1996, and none of my Toys have ever had anything like this. Additionally, one of them was from a humid climate (the Tundra) and all were over 100k when I traded them off. Never experienced anything like this. I'm sure Toyota will be willing to take them apart and figure out what is causing this problem.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Oh hell no! That is 100% unsatisfactory. I would go back to Toyota and tell them to tear it apart to find out where the water is coming from. That is FAR beyond unsatisfactory.
That upsets me too But what really pisses me off :fight: is neither Paul or Corey mentioned I am the hand model!!:wave: Sorry to hijack your post but great setup for me.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
That upsets me too But what really pisses me off :fight: is neither Paul or Corey mentioned I am the hand model!!:wave: Sorry to hijack your post but great setup for me.:cheers:

:rofl:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
We did not mention it, because it took so long to get your hand ready to model.

Here is a photo of your hand before you shaved it, to model!!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it going to be worth taking it back to Toyota? I mean the retards at the dealership seem to have a hard time changing the damn oil! It sucks, cause you would like to think the dealer would be the place to take it safely, but are they just going to cause more damage to my truck?

What are the dust seals you are talking about? Maybe I will pick up some new ones......????

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The only thing I am thinking is if the Spark plug was not all the way screwed down then maybe that was holding the cap up away from the head surface.

We never saw any "dust seals" and we did two FJCs that day.

If you put a another seal there it might actually hold the Spark Plug connection away from the top of the plug.... Right???

Maybe you could use some high temperature grease?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The dust seal will usually pull out with the coil and you will probably not notice it. I am guessing that the piece that was in there rattled around and rusted because of humidity in salty air leaving the debris around the plug. If the boot on the coil is melted or imperfect then I would go talk to the service advisor and let him know what happened so that they can replace the coil and note your account in case something happens down the road.

I just changed my plugs a couple weeks ago and I would not be too happy if that had come out of my FJ. Make sure Toyota knows about it just in case there is a problem in the future.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts