Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're heading to Gunnison this weekend.
JammerGirl will be giving some piano seminars at Western State College on Saturday, which means that I will have some 'free-time' to go out and explore.

She will be doing one in the morning and one in the afternoon. So, I will have a good chunk of time to do something.

I checked with the BLM about Hartman Rocks, and know now where it's open and where it's closed right now to motor vehicles like ours. I think I'll go there to see what that area is like (further South than where I've gone in Hartman previously).

I may also check out some other roads in the area....North of town.
I may also go for a hike somewhere.

Does anyone over there want to get together for some snow fun?

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I wish I could join you, it seems like you are posting up trails runs as much as I was when I was home. I get home around the 21st of March and will look for a run you have going. Hopefully I can make it up to go play. I read somewhere that you had some new tires. What kind did you get. I am about to get some trail grapplers but have been banging my head to find out if there is a better mud tire out there.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Book Cliff Cruisers is going to run the Koko from West Water, East back toward Grand Junction. They will plan on assembly at the City Market in Fruita at 8:30 AM and head out at 9:00 AM. You are more than welcome to come and play.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wish I could join you, it seems like you are posting up trails runs as much as I was when I was home. I get home around the 21st of March and will look for a run you have going. Hopefully I can make it up to go play. I read somewhere that you had some new tires. What kind did you get. I am about to get some trail grapplers but have been banging my head to find out if there is a better mud tire out there.
Ha ha, ya...well, when we have something like the Switzerland Trail (which seems different every time we go up there, because of the different snow storms and drifting and melting, etc), and it's the only non-gated trail left open for the winter, and since it's so close for us in the Boulder area, we get up there quite a bit during this time of year.

It will be good to see you again when you get back in March.

As for tires, I did a bunch of research, looked at every MT out there, checked out all manufacturers' sites, went to all of the offroading sites where they do reviews of tires, read every major review of every MT on my list (started out with ~25 of them big meats), and most of the individual reviews where the customer posts comments, etc....and in the end, I decided on the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. Here's the thread where I tracked my research.

Good luck, and can't wait to see what you end up with on that thing.

Book Cliff Cruisers is going to run the Koko from West Water, East back toward Grand Junction. They will plan on assembly at the City Market in Fruita at 8:30 AM and head out at 9:00 AM. You are more than welcome to come and play.
That's cool. I would love to join, but I think the 2.5 hour drive each way kinda puts a damper on the idea since that's ~how much time I'll have on Saturday.

Oh well....maybe we'll get out with you guys over there someday.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Yep, figured the drive was a deal breaker. But, had to throw it out there just in case.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i want to go, but i have a weeding to attend. Have fun!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oooohhh... the 4.5 hour drive just killed it for me. The next weekend day I have off is the last Sunday of the month. Feel the need to get out and do something....

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a great time out there yesterday (more later, including a few photos).

Today, after bfast, we'll be heading home just at the right time (seen the latest winter weather advisory yet?).

Wish me (and Sandi) luck....that we don't get whacked by anyone out there, and hopefully we can lend a hand somewhere along the way (on our way here, we could have helped a truck out of a ditch, but we came along just a bit too late....he already had a tow truck on scene).

Hope everyone else is safe out there. :cheers:

GO PACK GO!!! :clap:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
we had about 6" in my hood.. be safe

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Athena.
Wow, not that 6" is extreme, but it keeps piling up.

When we got to Boulder to pick up our car (JammerGirl left it there when we took off on Friday), it was covered in 6-8" of snow ....took me a while to uncover it to make it properly drivable.

We got home about an hour ago.

Yikes, that was a crazy trek!
--especially that wind-tunnel-on-an-ice-rink that they call highway 285 going through South Park.

JammerGirl posted a pic on her Facebook account of Sandi trying to pull a truck out of the ditch, but I'll upload some shots later and post back in here in case anyone's interested. ...a weekend of extreme beauty and extreme weather in the mountains.

hope everyone else got (gets) home safely.

GO PACK GO!!! :clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts