Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let’s talk about GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) this is the number for your vehicle that the manufacture puts on all it’s vehicles, this is the Maximum load the vehicle is rated to carry. You will also see a CVWR (Curb Vehicle Weight Rating) this is the rating of the vehicle less passengers and baggage (Stock Vehicle Curb Weight) You deduct the weight of the GVWR from the CVWR and you get exactly how much weight your vehicle can safely carry.

The FJ Cruiser has a CVWR of 4,290 for the AT Model with a GVWR of 5,570 giving you 1,280 lbs that can be carried meeting the GVWR of the vehicle.

The GVWR is derived from the vehicle frame, the axles, suspension, wheels & tires. Only the manufacturer can change a vehicle GVWR.

There are things that you can do to help compensate for the max GVWR, by increasing a beefier suspension system, by increasing a better and stronger wheels. By increasing better tires with stronger sidewall ply’s. You also have to remember all manufacturers include a “Safe Working Load” in to their equations of their formulas to arrive at a GVWR. By not upgrading any of the components I spoke about earlier and going over the GVWR you increase your chances of not only braking suspension items, but also destroying your stock vehicle tires and the wear and tear of your vehicle parts. And also increasing the chances of having an accident due to an overloaded vehicle that handles dangerously on the road.

I decided to make up a spread sheet a while back for keeping track of the weight that I would take off or add to the vehicle. I thought I would pass on this spread sheet for others. It helps keeping track of any changes you make to the vehicle, it allows you to “see” where the weight is going and let’s you make changes at the same time. I have been getting inquires here lately on my vehicle and I thought I would pass this on.

Enjoy :cheers:

Mike

PS It's in Excel

Attachments

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Great thread! This is an important topic we don't talk about very much... it all adds up quick.

Besides keeping track of stuff, a good thing to do is pop by a truck stop that has a certified scale and measure the beast!

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great thread! This is an important topic we don't talk about very much... it all adds up quick.

Besides keeping track of stuff, a good thing to do is pop by a truck stop that has a certified scale and measure the beast!
This is a very useful tool. Thanks for posting it! :)
Thanks guys :)

Mike

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Thanks for the sheet. On my last major expedition I did stop by the local dump for a weight-in. I had a full load of fuel, with the MAF aux tank, skids, etc and camping gear for 2 nights. Weighed in at 5720 lbs. After that I installed the medium OME's - hope that helps with being overweight. Any thoughts?

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the sheet. On my last major expedition I did stop by the local dump for a weight-in. I had a full load of fuel, with the MAF aux tank, skids, etc and camping gear for 2 nights. Weighed in at 5720 lbs. After that I installed the medium OME's - hope that helps with being overweight. Any thoughts?

If I remember correctly, someone may want to correct me :D

I don't think you'll see much difference in the med's. The stock is rated at 190lbs. I'm getting ready to go to the Heavy's 896's in the rear which is 318Lbs, this will ba a 67% more load rating over stock springs. The med's 895's are only 37% over stock at 260lbs. Good luck. :cheers:

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Awesome job, Now I just gotta figure out how to find the weight for each item, Sure as heck aint dismantleing everything and scaleing it. Also I wonder how to factor in coatings like rhino lining or powder coat. :D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I like the write up, this is a topic I've been looking into the last few days.
Hey for your location "from parts unknown" haha

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Lets not for get about (center of gravity) for those who use your roof rack, or may have a roof top tent. We do not want to much weight up high. I like the spreadsheet, I am just starting the build and this will come in handy to track as I go. My FJ40's, 45, 62 kept running back to truck stop to weight in after every mod to check weight.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Very nice Mike. I see you have some computer skills. I have this saved to my computer and I recomend that all save this. Thanks.:bigthumb:

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome job, Now I just gotta figure out how to find the weight for each item, Sure as heck aint dismantleing everything and scaleing it. Also I wonder how to factor in coatings like rhino lining or powder coat. :D
I like the write up, this is a topic I've been looking into the last few days.
Hey for your location "from parts unknown" haha
Lets not for get about (center of gravity) for those who use your roof rack, or may have a roof top tent. We do not want to much weight up high. I like the spreadsheet, I am just starting the build and this will come in handy to track as I go. My FJ40's, 45, 62 kept running back to truck stop to weight in after every mod to check weight.
Very nice Mike. I see you have some computer skills. I have this saved to my computer and I recomend that all save this. Thanks.:bigthumb:

Thanks guys, I figured it would help others out. :cheers:

Mike

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made the spreadsheet so all you have to do is punch in a number and it will subtract it automatically for you from the GVWR at the top of the page on the right.

You can also change the descriptions and add what ever you like there. :)

Mike

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Awesome Mike!!! Thanks!!!!! Where is your Santa hat on the Raptor???????

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Excellent. Thank-you

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Pretty cool Mike. I don't have excel so I can't really play with your spread sheet but its a great topic. I know I'm on the lighter side of rigs maybe 100+ lb over stock and I like to keep things that way for the most part. :)

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Nice work Mike, I was looking into my lost gas mileages and figured it was due to weight increases. Yep it's true and if you run wide bodied 35's/tires your just packing on the pounds.

I will take my Rig thru the county landfill to get that accurate weight! This is the easiest way to calculate the new mod weight.

It will certainly increase with armor and Misc. Mods. I bet I'm at 5250lb's without me!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts