Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be at GWNF (2nd Mountain Trail and Long Run) this Saturday (2/24). We are meeting at Waffle House on Route 33 (1/2 mile east of Route 81) in Harrisonburg, VA at 9:37 a.m. The trail starts only about 15 minutes from there.

Who's with me?

-Rip

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am tentative due to the start time and travel time. I'll know more in a couple of days hopefully.

·
Registered
481 Posts
SKIP Der Waffel Haus??? HA!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Damn.. I would love to but its a little short notice... Maybe next time....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some folks have asked about whether you need a lift and agressive tires. My immediate answer is "No." However, the trails will prolly be tougher due to snow melting and creating mud and slush holes.

That said, I have a winch and plenty of recovery gear.

I figure if we use our heads we should be able to manage the trails fine in stock FJC's.

-Rip

·
Registered
214 Posts
Much of the run is on fire roads. These are normally not very challenging to any 4x4. I ran them a few months back with open difs and street tires and had little trouble except in a couple of spots where I had to take a bypass. None of the FJs had any trouble. Here is a link to the tread on the Fall Colors run. It will give you a sense of the tails, although as Rip said, the ice, snow and mud will make them a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How many people are actually going to show up for this? I would love to come and meet everyone and hit the trail, but would hate to drive 270 miles to wait at a waffle house for no one.

?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, from a post on here copied from TTORA...

"Second Mountain used to accessable from 33, but overuse and people tearing up Second Mountain Rd, has led to a gate being installed at the top by the folks who live on Second Mountain Rd. It's private property from 33 to the yellowgate, but GWNF property on the other side. You can reach the other side by go to the top of Dictum Ridge and then making a right by the ATV offloading ramps. You can travel down to the backside of the gates, but will have to turn around, (unless it's hunting season down there, when the gates may be open). The powerline trails are off of the trail and you can get a nice little ticket by the Rangers who travel around up there especially during hunting season."

???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts