Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
bet that was hard to bite your tongue watching that display of incompetence by the salesman. It hurts me just to read that description.
He was totally clueless as to what an FJ is, especially the uniqueness of a ‘14 TTUE.
The only thing he talked about was Bluetooth phone connectivity, steering-wheel mounted radio controls, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
haha, drive in snow in H4 is totally fine with the FJ. It is built for that. However, driving around the block in H4 will do more harm than 18 miles on the road. Read your owner's manual, it recommends that you drive in H4 for 20 miles every month to lubricant the front.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
When did Denver start using salt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Im almost 58 years old and lived in Denver Metro area my entire life. Near as I remember, Denver, the suburbs and elsewhere in the state have been using a mixture of salt and sand my entire life. I want to say they started using MagChloride liquid solution sometime in the mid nineties. But they still use salt/sand mix as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Im almost 58 years old and lived in Denver Metro area my entire life. Near as I remember, Denver, the suburbs and elsewhere in the state have been using a mixture of salt and sand my entire life. I want to say they started using MagChloride liquid solution sometime in the mid nineties. But they still use salt/sand mix as well.
Huh, never noticed any corrosion, always saw sand and never really thought about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I left my new (to me) 2011 FJ at a friend's house in Denver bc I'm moving there soon... I told them they could drive it like once a week around the corner to the store or something to keep it running. I specifically told them not to use the 4x4 at all. For some reason, the lady of the house decided to take it 18 miles to get a haircut knowing bad weather was forecasted yesterday. She texts me a pic of the 4x4 shifter asking what it is and how it works. I told her how to work it but asked that she please uber. She then apparently drove it 18 miles back thru "active snow" in H4 on main roads thru Denver bc she saw a truck spin out on the road. I'm pretty pissed off about it.

This is my first 4x4, I bought it in great shape, and I've barely used 4x4 myself and only very short distances off road.

How pissed off or concerned should I reasonably be? Is there any way to check to see if she did any damage?
So I left my new (to me) 2011 FJ at a friend's house in Denver bc I'm moving there soon... I told them they could drive it like once a week around the corner to the store or something to keep it running. I specifically told them not to use the 4x4 at all. For some reason, the lady of the house decided to take it 18 miles to get a haircut knowing bad weather was forecasted yesterday. She texts me a pic of the 4x4 shifter asking what it is and how it works. I told her how to work it but asked that she please uber. She then apparently drove it 18 miles back thru "active snow" in H4 on main roads thru Denver bc she saw a truck spin out on the road. I'm pretty pissed off about it.

This is my first 4x4, I bought it in great shape, and I've barely used 4x4 myself and only very short distances off road.

How pissed off or concerned should I reasonably be? Is there any way to check to see if she did any damage?
The only thing that I would worry about is that they fall completely in love with it and they will -Happy wheeling Barb Moab Ut

·
Registered
1 Posts

If it was in snow all the way , no damage at all , done it many times

·
Registered
1 Posts

No damage, so expand your friendship not lessen it. People rarely do what they say they are going to do. So take your FJ keys !

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ll keep it short and sweet. Beyond the annoyance of the friend, I drive mine in the snow and salt almost weekly now In 4x4 because I plow snow on the military installations. Sometimes I go over 45 as well. Haven’t seen anything and my mechanic says it’s almost in perfect condition. Like others have said just make sure they wash it as soon as possible because that salt eats at the frame pretty fast! And Colorado drops a lot of salt.

·
Registered
2 Posts

You only can be pissed at yourself. YOU left it, YOU said okay go ahead and drive it. Did you really think they would only go just around the corner?

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
She didn't ask me these questions until she was already out in it and acting like an idiot. I did not have any of these expectations that you're implying I did. i told them they could take it on a short drive occasionally bc they specifically said they wanted to drive it some after they had let me stay at their house and fed me while house hunting in Denver for several days and said I could leave it at their house so I could fly home to get my wife and kids... so I was put on the spot. I also told them specifically to be careful and don't use 4x4. I'm moving from SC to Denver on my own dime and doing my best to make it happen so I didn't have the option to leave it hooked up to a device in a garage etc etc.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. It has helped to calm me down regarding my new prized possession FJ.
It needs to exercised in 4 hi and 4 Lo once a month, to maintain lubricity in all associated parts. She did you a favor. No worries, mon!

·
Registered
9 Posts
From the official TOYOTA Youtube channel "You should drive in the 4 wheel drive mode for at least 10 miles each month. This will help keep the front drive components lubricated."

In the
video

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
"Read your owner's manual, it recommends that you drive in H4 for 20 miles every month to lubricant the front."

"I do believe the manual sez 10 hours of 4x4 use a month."

Yes, READ the manual:
Four-wheel drive usage frequency.
You should drive in four-wheel drive for at least 10 miles (16 km) each month. This will assure that the front drive components are lubricated.

However, the specific SEQUENCE of caution notes is:
FIRST, don't drive on high traction surfaces in 4WD mode.
SECOND, drive in 4WD for 10 miles every month.

The second recommendation doesn't negate the first.

My '00 4Runner has exactly the same recommendation, and I have always been able to find a dirt or gravel road where I could exercise 4WD, even if it was only for a mile or two. Before I get back on pavement, I also test the rear locker just to make sure it engages and disengages properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I just got my FJ back on Saturday and drove it about 30 miles home, mostly interstate, without any issues. Didn't drive it yesterday. Drove it around the corner to the UPS store today and noticed when driving slow in the parking lot there was a very noticeable regular knocking, seemingly from the front end, as I think I could feel it from the front driver side tire area. It wasn't from going over bumps or turning and it's happening at regular intervals as the tire turns over. I don't see any large objects wedged in the tire tread or anything obviously broken or rubbing the tire from under the car but I know very little about that or what I'm looking at. I checked the lugs and they seem tight. This issue did not exist before I left the FJ here. It's also coated in salt and grime underneath in every little nook because it was left parked on the side of a road and driven in some bad weather for the month I left it up here.

Seems like there's lots of possibilities of what could be causing the knocking. It isnt really noticeable at high speed but when I got toy neighborhood and drove around some more it was definitely still happening. It almost sounds/feels like when you're driving over those bumpy interstates "da dunk.. da dunk... Da dunk".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
probably a cv joint .
I had a CV joint go out on my car like 20 years ago and it only made the knocking sound when turning I think.

I have read and also been told by a friend who overlands a lot that it could just be gunk build up in the hub... There is a ton of salt and road grime on it and it got driven thru like a foot of snow.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I'd check ALL the tires very carefully for:
1. Anything jammed in the tread: rock, piece of metal, etc.
2. Any irregularity in the tire sidewall that might indicate an impact against curb, etc.
3. Any "runout" in the wheel or tire, or irregularity in the tread face. You'll need to jack up each individually wheel and spin them, looking for wobble ("runout") or a raised area (bruise or blister). Again, impact with a curb, large rock, chunk of ice, etc. could bend a wheel or bruise a tire.

Tires are the most-easily damaged components in the driveline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'd check ALL the tires very carefully for:
1. Anything jammed in the tread: rock, piece of metal, etc.
2. Any irregularity in the tire sidewall that might indicate an impact against curb, etc.
3. Any "runout" in the wheel or tire, or irregularity in the tread face. You'll need to jack up each individually wheel and spin them, looking for wobble ("runout") or a raised area (bruise or blister). Again, impact with a curb, large rock, chunk of ice, etc. could bend a wheel or bruise a tire.

Tires are the most-easily damaged components in the driveline.
That would suck considering I just got falken windpeaks put on before I drove it out here (so they do have 2000 miles on them now) haha

21 - 40 of 44 Posts