Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Well i certainly am not of the overland status say ya probably just gunk in the hub

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
There it is. Usually the most obvious issue is the answer. Do your friends that kept your FJ for 30 days live in a new neighborhood or one being built out?

Seems like it might be fixable or better yet....maybe didnt penetrate the tire carcass. Did you buy 5 new tires, so they are all matching?
They live in a new neighborhood in castle rock with a ton of construction. I didn't notice anything until today when I went to the store though so I definitely could have been the one who picked it up. I'm guessing it's pluggable. I only bought 4 tires haha the spare is an old random

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
A lot going on there with the thumping in the front, etc. Looks like that problem is identified and solvable now, but remember what @Firemedic831 said for future reference: quite often, if you have been driving in snow or mud, if you have a thumping that you can feel or hear, it is likely snow, ice, or mud that has become caught on or in the running gear, like wheels, axles, and such. You gotta get in there and pry it out.

As for your original questions about driving in 4H, you can drive it in 4H at any speed. I live in Anchorage, where it is snowing about a foot today, and I leave my 2008 auto transmission in 4H most of the winter. If there is snow OR ice on the roadway, I leave it in 4H. If I am driving on the highway with a mix of snow/ice and bare pavement, I leave it in 4H. You will note that when you put it in 4H, the "VSC" light comes on. That is because the VSC is turned off when you engage 4H. To my butt and inner ear, 4H works better for me than VSC. Others will disagree.

Does the front end bind up some times while turning? Yes, it does, but only when I am going through the drivethru at Starbucks. But you will likely never make a sharp turn at high speeds, and if you do, you have a whole other set of immediate problems to deal with.

There are a couple of threads on here, and I will try to find one for you, that address the oft recurring theme of "Dang it, Bobby! You can't drive an FJ at high speeds in 4H!"

Here is a really great thread on this issue. And here is another. These FJ's are wonderful machines, and very sturdy. You can hurt them, but usually you have to try.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
They live in a new neighborhood in castle rock with a ton of construction. I didn't notice anything until today when I went to the store though so I definitely could have been the one who picked it up. I'm guessing it's pluggable. I only bought 4 tires haha the spare is an old random
Are you running 265 70R17 tires with the new Falken WIldPeak or did you increase in size to 285 70R17? If you increased in size, I would encourage to buy an identical 5th tire for your spare and start including it within your tire rotation. Never a good idea to run and 'undersize"spare on any driving axle. If you are still at 265 size for the new tires, you are probably ok.

Just food for thought....Im sure you have plenty of other new expenses associated with the move,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hopefully, you’ll put it through a lot more torture than back and forth to the nail salon, and by the look of it she’ll live, for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Admin
7,026 Posts
A lot going on there with the thumping in the front, etc. Looks like that problem is identified and solvable now, but remember what @Firemedic831 said for future reference: quite often, if you have been driving in snow or mud, if you have a thumping that you can feel or hear, it is likely snow, ice, or mud that has become caught on or in the running gear, like wheels, axles, and such. You gotta get in there and pry it out.

As for your original questions about driving in 4H, you can drive it in 4H at any speed. I live in Anchorage, where it is snowing about a foot today, and I leave my 2008 auto transmission in 4H most of the winter. If there is snow OR ice on the roadway, I leave it in 4H. If I am driving on the highway with a mix of snow/ice and bare pavement, I leave it in 4H. You will note that when you put it in 4H, the "VSC" light comes on. That is because the VSC is turned off when you engage 4H. To my butt and inner ear, 4H works better for me than VSC. Others will disagree.

Does the front end bind up some times while turning? Yes, it does, but only when I am going through the drivethru at Starbucks. But you will likely never make a sharp turn at high speeds, and if you do, you have a whole other set of immediate problems to deal with.

There are a couple of threads on here, and I will try to find one for you, that address the oft recurring theme of "Dang it, Bobby! You can't drive an FJ at high speeds in 4H!"

Here is a really great thread on this issue. And here is another. These FJ's are wonderful machines, and very sturdy. You can hurt them, but usually you have to try.
🍻🍻🍻

·
Registered
39 Posts
This example goes to show how different people describe the same things.
This screw would in my mind make a ticking/clicking sound much the same a s a rock caught in the tread. A thumping would be a much more severe issue requiring immediate attention.
This makes internet diagnosis a real challenge:);)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had so much fun reading these posts. No offense, if you park a 4X4 at someone's house and give them the keys knowing they are not really cool people - mistake was on your end. I have a 4Runner and FJ and they are not feeble vehicles, it will take all sorts of hits and will still run. Just check under the vehicle for bruises from her snow covered rock crawls..lol..

41 - 50 of 50 Posts