Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im working on putting together a good VHF/UHF rig for my FJ (Im almost done studying for my Tech exam) Ive found the radio I want, a Yaesu FTM-100DR and I need some recommendations on a good antenna that will work with the All Pro Bandi Mount. Im coming from my CB setup and Id like to keep using that mount. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I almost picked up the FTM-100 last weekend too, but it's worth noting that the 400dr adds about $90 to the price tag (there's a $100 mail in rebate from Yaesu on them) and gets you easily twice as much radio. (literally. its two dual band radios in one, plus crossband repeating, awesome screen, etc.) So if you can swing it, at least consider the option before throwing down your cash. =)

As for the antenna, hinge-height behind a giant FJ-shaped brick is going to be a compromised location from the get go. any antenna that's below the roofline is going to be radiating primarily to the rear and blocked by the truck. any antenna length sticking up past the roof line at least stands a chance of decent forward radiation.

You'll also need to make sure the antenna is one that is designed to work with no ground plane.

All totally doable and serviceable, but just be aware of the limitations, and your options.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the antenna, hinge-height behind a giant FJ-shaped brick is going to be a compromised location from the get go. any antenna that's below the roofline is going to be radiating primarily to the rear and blocked by the truck. any antenna length sticking up past the roof line at least stands a chance of decent forward radiation.
Thanks for the advice! From what Ive been studying in the ARRL manual I guess the best place would be right in the middle of the roof, but I HATE the sight of a coax cable running across the roof to a mag mount. Would a better option be to run a mag mount close to the rear door, right behind the roof rack? That way you could hide the cable pretty well and still have somewhat of a ground plane? Also I will definitely look at the 400DR

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Same here. Just drill out the smaller hole and insert your connector - NMO or SO239. I have been using this since the Bandi first came out with no issues.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Put the NMO in the roof center (over the dome light area) and keep the Bandi for your CB antenna (will look cool, but you won't use it unless forced too).

·
Registered
8 Posts
KD8SXN
I have the bandi mount and Diamond 7900NMO. The forward projection of signal is weak at best. Some of my friends get better reception and transmission with the mag mount simple dual band antenna.

The Diamond also has broken the expoy in the antenna twice. Diamond replaced for free but not the best set up.

I am moving my antenna to the center of the roof rack with a rack capable NMO mount to screw on the 7900. I also have the mag mount i use for backup and on the off road Cart.

Check my pics for better idea.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KD8SXN

I am moving my antenna to the center of the roof rack with a rack capable NMO mount to screw on the 7900. I also have the mag mount i use for backup and on the off road Cart.

Check my pics for better idea.
Man, I hadn't thought about a rack capable mount. That seems like a pretty solid option. Will that provide enough of a ground plane being raised off the roof?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've been thinking of getting the trunk lid mount and put it on the rear door but also been contemplating welding a tab on the Baja rack and make my own mount. Have to verify the roof rack is grounded first. Anybody run the sbb1 antenna? I like that it's a flex antenna but doesn't handle high wattage compare to sbb2.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Just drill out the Bandi and use a half-wave antenna, it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I've been thinking of getting the trunk lid mount and put it on the rear door but also been contemplating welding a tab on the Baja rack and make my own mount. Have to verify the roof rack is grounded first. Anybody run the sbb1 antenna? I like that it's a flex antenna but doesn't handle high wattage compare to sbb2.
I've been successfully running a Diamond lip mount on the rear door for about 3yrs with a Comet SBB5-NMO (38") on it. That antenna has very simple whip construction and it can take a serious beating.

...As for the antenna, hinge-height behind a giant FJ-shaped brick is going to be a compromised location from the get go. any antenna that's below the roofline is going to be radiating primarily to the rear and blocked by the truck. any antenna length sticking up past the roof line at least stands a chance of decent forward radiation.

You'll also need to make sure the antenna is one that is designed to work with no ground plane.

All totally doable and serviceable, but just be aware of the limitations, and your options.
Yes indeed. And the rear corner location seems to be even worse on most vehicles. I guess the optimal position for a lip-mount on an FJC would be at the top center of the rear door, if you weren't worried about clearance.

Into The Wild FJ Build - Page 4 - Expedition Portal

I'll soon be moving my antenna mount location down to the hinge on a Boztec Ham Mount. I was a little worried about having only half the antenna above the roof groundplane, so I just ordered an MFJ-1432B. We'll see how well that goes. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts