• HT

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I keep going back and forth on what I should purchase as a first radio. I like the idea of an HT as I could use it almost anywhere. But also like the mobile as the higher wattage may be nice in a back country emergency.

Your thoughts ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 5-watt output of an HT makes them useless for a back-country emergency. If you can only afford one radio for 4WD, make it the most powerful mobile you can find, IMO.

Thats what I was thinking. I was thinking of getting the Yaesu FT-7900R.

But thought I would through it out there to see what others thought.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
^^^^^^
Yeah, what he said! :bigthumb:

Get the HT after you get your mobile rig.

Mike

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I currently have a mobile unit, (Yaesu FTM10R) but would like to also purchase a handheld for times when I travel. It would be nice to take the handheld on the road with me when working.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
While a HT is great to have if you wander away from the rig, it doesn't pack enough "punch" to help out in an outback emergency.

A mobile rig will usually have at least 50w on 2 meters, and in conjunction with a good antenna / antenna mount (which can increase your effective output power 2-3x), should be able to make yourself heard.

An important consideration before you decide on a mobile rig - some dual band mobile radios (not the Yaesu FT-7900 though) allow you to use them as a mobile repeater (cross-band repeat). Basically, you can park your vehicle at a high spot, and as you wander around with your handheld, it transmits to your mobile rig, which then re-transmits it on the other band using its full power. This feature can allow you (and anyone in the area with your permission) to use your handheld radio to contact help away from your rig if you go hiking, etc. So, if that feature sounds of interest, you should check out mobile radios with this feature. They are usually radios that can display both bands at the same time - Yaesu FT 8800, FT 8900, Kenwood TM-D710A, etc...

So, I suggest a mobile first, and handheld very soon after, and a review of the radio's available features to help decide which model might be the best investment, long-term...:rocker:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Get a mobile rig first and then a HT.

I second what Cruiserlarry said about a radio that is crossband capable. I have a Yaesu 8800 in the FJ and a dual band HT and this setup has paid dividends several times.

With a crossband radio you can talk on one side of the radio and monitor and scan on the other at the same time. Very useful for monitoring repeaters or public safety frequencies while chatting with your buddies.

With the HT I have used the rig radio as a repeater more than once. Very useful when you have to leave your rig for any reason and you still need long legs.

A crossband capable radio is more money, but it gives you great flexibility. If you plan on getting a HT later for use with your rig radio in a crossband format, make sure you get a dual band HT.

73's

Bjorn

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the great info guys :cheers:

Hey Bjorn in the pic below what ant. mounts are you using ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's is right there 50+ watts vs. 5 watts
Thanks for all of the info and making it clear for me to go with my original choice in buying a mobile first.

I think I will go with the Yeasu FT-7900R for now. Although it does not have the crossband repeat function, it is in my current price range and will give me 50 watts on the 2meter side and 45 on the 70cm band. Plus HRO will through in the YSK kit for free plus free shipping :)
And because I have two vehicles, at a later date when I can afford a different mobile rig I could upgrade to a mobile w/ the crossband repeat for the FJ and have the 7900 for the car.

It is kind of funny how I dont even have my ticket yet however I already have so many plans :) I found myself today looking at HF rigs ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
The mounts used here were CB antenna mounts. The picture below shows you a mount just like it - we just flipped them upside down for a better fit.

There are coaxial cables that will clear the smaller hole in the CB mount and give you a nice NMO mount for your antenna (it will basically screw right on the mount).

From a practical point of view, I can see the antenna from the drivers seat having it mounted up front. So in theory I can avoid hitting branches with it :).

The Yaesu 7900 is a good radio and will serve you well. Welcome to the club!

Bjorn

Thanks for all of the great info guys :cheers:

Hey Bjorn in the pic below what ant. mounts are you using ?

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
And because I have two vehicles, at a later date when I can afford a different mobile rig I could upgrade to a mobile w/ the crossband repeat for the FJ and have the 7900 for the car.
What I did at first was get two mounting brackets, power cords, coax cables and antennas for both of my trucks and switch my first 2M mobile between them as needed.

Just this last week I bought a new Kenwood TM-D710A dual-band with cross-band repeat, APRS, and a bunch of other cool features. I was really pleased to find that it uses the same power connector as my Yaesu and the main unit will fit in the Yaesu brackets, so all I have to do is mount the face plate, and it will still be switchable between the two trucks. But it will be nice to always have a radio in each regardless.

It is kind of funny how I dont even have my ticket yet however I already have so many plans :) I found myself today looking at HF rigs ;)
Yep, amateur radio is yet another hobby where you can spend lots of money if you want. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I did at first was get two mounting brackets, power cords, coax cables and antennas for both of my trucks and switch my first 2M mobile between them as needed.

Yep, amateur radio is yet another hobby where you can spend lots of money if you want. :)
I thought about doing this as well we shall see..

So friday I ordered the Yaesu 8900R from HRO :) Should be here Monday.

Today I went and took my Technician test, and passed :clap:

So I maybe OTA by they end of next week :)

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I thought about doing this as well we shall see..

So friday I ordered the Yaesu 8900R from HRO :) Should be here Monday.

Today I went and took my Technician test, and passed :clap:

So I maybe OTA by they end of next week :)

Congratulations on your upcoming ticket !! :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts