Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well there has been some interest in having a nighttime ham radio IRLP net so folks around the country/world can check in with us while we are on the Adventure.
Thanks to some great help from Shane & Jeshua (Joshua)! My research shows that there are only a few nodes that are near the planned route….so here is our schedule and the node that is close to it…we will try to sign on each night we are near a node at 0200 am GMT, which should be around 8pm MT or our local time (add/subtract for your local time) and we will try to hit the Western Reflector node 9252, if that doesn’t work and you want to try to connect directly to our node please do so on the ½ hr mark after our attempt time.

July 7th Cranbrook BC, node 1660
July 8th Lakeside node 7430
July 9th Rimini node 3060
July 15th Kremmling maybe reach to 3984
July 23rd Cuba node 3502
July 25th Silver City node 3093
July 26th Return Campout node 4754

I have no idea how this will work but if it does that would be pretty cool…basically we could chat with folks all over while we are on our trek. Yeah not a big deal using the internet from your home, but nifty when out remote.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Glad you found some good nets that could be used while on the trail that will make it cool for everyone. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Alright, I'm new VoIP technology for Ham Radio, although I've been a ham for 12 years. What do I need to access the IRLP system? The web site seems targeted for system owners. I cannot find a client software for IRLP like EchoLink.

Thanks,
Tim KU4IY

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no software...
You treat it like a repeater you can control with your dtmf mic...
Make sure no one else is on the repeater, key the mic...say something like " this is KE7NKP attempting to connect to node XXXX or the Western Reflector" and while still holding the mic open punch in the 4 digit node number.
You will usually get an automated response...
The important thing to realize is since you are on a repeater using the internet to connect to another repeater you need to key the mic and wait 1 sec or so to make sure you first word isn't cut off.

That is all there is too it..
irlp.net has a node list to show what is active and connected and a google earth link to show where the repeaters are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts