Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see your HAM installs & how,where the antenna is mounted.
I'm getting ready to install one & would like to see some options.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I'm working on my install right now. Hopefully I'll have some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Kenwood D710A

Home made Jpole mounted with a 1-5/8" Home Depot gate post strap

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Finally got my install done. I took most of these pics last night so they're a little dark but I think you'll get the idea. I already had a CB installed above the mirror and I rarely use the CB so I figured I could make my install do double duty. Here's what I already had.

I took everything back apart and reworked the aluminum bracket a little so the screws are in place permanently so I can swap radio brackets easily. Also ran my new Ham radio power cord so I have both there now. I attached the bracket to the roof using nutserts in the two holes above where the mirror bracket screws in. Found the idea in another post here and it already has directions & pics so I won't rehash that.

Here's the Ham radio in place. It's a Yaesu FT-7900. It has a remotable faceplate but I like keeping it all up high just in case I ever get water inside. Also, it's really easy to hear the internal speaker up there.

I got an MFJ-1414 dual-band whip with 3/8x24 connector so I can just use the mount I already had for the CB. The mount is one I made myself out of a piece of scrap 2x2 tube. The antenna tucks into the roof rack so I can get into the garage.

I ops checked it this morning after I got the wiring all done and it works great. I really like it because I can switch to CB if needed in just a few minutes by changing the antennas and radios.

Brian, KF7ORO

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

antenna is mounted on my bajarack, driver's side front corner.
I like that large display on the unit, can I see a picture of the antenna mounted?
I have the BajaRack also & have an idea where & how to make a tab to mount the antenna on, but would like to see some options.
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like this installation. Very clean.
I like this installation too :)

To the OP, what radio/antenna combo are you looking to mount? I would suggest that whatever it is that you are going to install, take the time to lay everything out before you start disassembling and drilling holes to make sure everything is going to work the way you want it. I'm a big fan of radios with remote heads and would seriously suggest that style radio over a comparable model that doesn't have remote mounting capabilities.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
The 7900 seems to be a great choice after about 12 hours of experience with it. If you've got a lot of stuff to program into it, the RT systems programming software works really well in my very limited experience. I got every repeater within a few hours of me (about 70 of them) programmed in mine in a few minutes.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I like that large display on the unit, can I see a picture of the antenna mounted?
I have the BajaRack also & have an idea where & how to make a tab to mount the antenna on, but would like to see some options.
Thanks
i'll post a couple of pics tomorrow. in the meantime, i'm using a diamond k540 mount and a nr770hb antenna.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My apologies for taking so long to get these posted. Work decided to kick my ass this week.

First pic is the mount on the rack. Second pic is the bulkhead through the roof. Cable runs from the roof, down the A-pillar, along the door sill then to the bottom of the driver's seat. Main unit of the radio is attached to the bottom of the seat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Kenwood TM D710A mounted to a RAM Netbook mount for daily use.
When the Netbook and it's platform are mounted the radio sits in front of the keyboard.
Its wired to the right headliner speaker. (a Cobra 75 is wired to the left side)
Radio body is mounted to a homemade bracket in the left rear the FJ.
Antenna is a 18" spring mounted Comet SS460NMO on a larsen NMO mount smack dab center of the roof for best performance. The front roofrack bar offers reasonably good protection from low hanging braches. I have no trouble hitting repeaters 20+ miles from me in the metro NYC area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts