Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
You could start selling those as kits
I copied a guy that used to manufacture them. His name is Jerry, KR7KZ, it's his design. QST even ran an article on them a while back. He gave me the plans to build them. He doesn't make them anymore.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You still 'sperimenting with antennae?! :rocker:
LOL, the Jpole has served me well for 5 years, I think I might retire it next year and go to a higher gain dual band NMO style 5/8 whip. I have it mounted on a Bandi mount now, it has been there for a couple of years. When I first had it on the truck I had it up on the roof rack. It was just too tall up there, it hit everything.. even a low power line at my 'rent's house.. eeek..

I have made a bunch of these Jpoles. Truckers love them. I guess they work very well with their fiberglass cabs. I know of 2 UPS drivers that have had them on there trucks, for years and years..

I'm currently building a 1986 Yota single cab truck. My Brother in law has a 85 Yota single cab truck as well.. we have been using this radio http://www.amazon.com/LEIXEN-VV-898-136-174-400-470MHz-Transceiver/dp/B00LS8AJRW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418141191&sr=8-2&keywords=mobile+dual+band along with a bunch of these radios http://www.amazon.com/BAOFENG-BF-888S-Transceiver-Illumination-Flashlight/dp/B007F7MZ04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418141228&sr=8-1&keywords=bf888s&pebp=1418141229920 for trail communications... they work FANTASTIC!

D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been meaning to get these pics posted for a couple of weeks, and life has just gotten in the way too much lately.

I recently acquired a 2013 FJ and immediately got to work putting together the mobile station. The antenna is a homebrew screwdriver that I built about fifteen years ago that I ran on my old 94 Suburban until the purchase of the FJ.
It has proven to be an admirable performer and has held up well to a significant number of miles and QSOs.

I decided to use the ladder as the attachment point, requiring the construction of custom mounting blocks. Thankfully, I have the good fortune of being a machinist and having a my own equipment, just for such projects. The mounting blocks were made from aluminum bar stock. The antenna bracket is the original bracket that I made when I built the antenna.

[/URL][/IMG]
squaring the aluminum blocks

[/URL][/IMG]
shaping the "cap" portion of the clamps

[/URL][/IMG]
Gotta have bolt holes

[/URL][/IMG]
Boring the hole to fit the ladder

[/URL][/IMG]
Closeup of the final clamps in place

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Mounting the radio and RigRunner

mounting the control head for the radio required a bit more machine work, but this time out of a block of nylon that I had laying around.
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

The block is made to fit the coin tray located just behind the gear shift (MT), and is held in place by 3M adhesive backed velcro.

[/URL][/IMG]

At the time that these pics were taken, there was still a bit of cleanup to do in the form of cutting power and control cables to length and getting everything plugged in and mounting the control box for the screwdriver antenna.

I still need to get a 2m/70cm antenna mount made, but that will have to wait until I get some other projects completed.

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I run a Kenwood TM-D710A and a Yaesu FT857D, with a Diamond 2m/440 retractable antenna and a Yaesu ATAS-120A auto-tuning HF antenna. The radios are hooked up to a Panasonic Toughbook for APRS mapping / messaging and HF logging...along with with a Clearspeech DSP speaker and various other related items....

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts