Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not entirely true, there is no way that modded 10m (28mhz) radio gets all of the ham bands. The ham bands start at 1mhz and goes into the microwaves. You can open that radio to work on 11m (27mhz) the CB band illegally. Its hard to explain what we are able to do as hams. There is no one antenna that can do it all. Some of our antennas are only a few inches long up to hundreds of meters long.

antenna turner......I use an old Sigma 5/8 with a MFJ tuner works wonders..
the mobil MULTI-BAND HF/VHF/UHF MOBILE ANTENNA KIT HVU100
works wonders...

·
Registered
572 Posts
antenna turner......I use an old Sigma 5/8 with a MFJ tuner works wonders..
the mobil MULTI-BAND HF/VHF/UHF MOBILE ANTENNA KIT HVU100
works wonders...
I use a LDG tuner on a 102" whip. Until I cut it up to build my mobile Jpole. It worked great. I made a contacts mobile on 20m clear across the states. I have not done much mobile HF yet. I'm barely finishing up the IC7000 install. I think for now I will go back to using a 102" whip. I might get a screwdriver but I'd like to save the cash for my lift. Once you get bit my the ham bug its all over. Might as well mail my paychecks to HRO. :lol:

I spend most of my time on the local VHF repeaters. We have quite a linked repeater system in Washington State. You can nearly talk the whole state if you know how to use the system. I spend a lot of time on the N7LZM machine, echolink node 380445.

That's one thing we have not mentioned in this thread are the Echolink Introducing EchoLink and IRLP (internet radio linking project) linked repeaters. They use VOIP to link-up. You basically "dial in" to other repeaters across the nation, even the world. If you have not noticed most ham radio microphones have a full keypad on them. A repeater up on a hill is tied to the internet. By dialing on the mic keypad (DTMF tones) you can access the repeater and cause it to dial into other repeaters. It is very simular to dialing a phone. It just connects them over VIOP. FYI, this little tid bit is on the exam... Some hams are very against internet linking repeaters, they think it is "cheating." I think it is a fun way to meet other people on the radio.

Other repeaters are linked via RF (radio frequency) only. They use a series of link radios. Not only is there a repeater on the hill but there is also a set of link radios pointed from repeater to repeater across hundreds of miles to link into other repeaters miles and miles away. Simular to how cell phone towers are linked via microwave dishes. You can dial a code on your mic and cause the link radios to access other repeaters. Thus you can talk across a state all by RF with no internet connections required. I'm sitting here in Kennewick and I can dial into Seattle across the Cascade Mountains and talk with out using VOIP or a phone. But it takes a little skill and know how to link the machines.

Or you can get a General license, get on HF, crank up the power a few hundred watts, and forget about repeaters.

Ham radio is a lot of fun. Most likely on the trail all you ever need is a CB. If other hams are around we normally chat on the 2m VHF radios. Most a person ever needs is a 2m radio and a CB, that pretty much will get you covered. But some of us go way overboard and spend thousands of dollars on fancy all mode, all band radios, hell mine even picks up TV signals and displays the image on the color screen. Now back to this beer....:cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nice thread
I also use both CB for highway or trail running, and HAM for everything else.
KF5PDF
What does the "everything else" consist of?

·
Registered
17 Posts
At minimum every vehicle should have a CB, HAM radio is a whole new realm of possibilities especially when it comes to emergency preparedness. The HAM moto "When all else fails"

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm new to the Ham radio group and am looking into getting my technician license. I am listening on a kenwood tm271 maybe ta271. Anyhow, I monitor the ham channels for weather updates and general information about road conditions. I work as a deputy sheriff in southern Arkansas and have found it very helpful to have. I also have a cb radio, a UHF for smaller agencies not using a 900 MHz digital system and a digital motorola trunked radio system. In Arkansas we use the Arkansas wireless information network (awin) for statewide communication and we can be patched to other frequencies through Arkansas department of emergency management (adem). I believed someone said their is no national frequencies for law enforcement and emergency management. I don't know if FCC of homeland security set it up but we do have a set of frequencies for all bands used by emergency responders that are common nationwide. Another thing I would recommend for communications is MURS (multi use radio service) which can be used by anyone with or without a ham license but only on a limited power radio. Anyone with further info on MURS. I would some more info I just recently started looking into it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
572 Posts
MURS is great! Hardly anybody knows about it, so it makes it nearly a private frequency. All you need is a decent VHF radio (Wouxun ect....) and you are good to go. 151.88 mhz, one of my favorites :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Does anybody know what style (HAM, CB, UHF, VHF, etc) that police, ambulance and fire crews use?

They mostly use UHF, VHF, and Motorola (or similar) 900mhz trunking radios. trunking radios Wikipedia

you can also check here RadioReference to see what the locals are using in the area. The State Patrol in our area still use old school VHF repeaters, and so does the Fire Dept. The city police are using the Motorola Trunking systems so I can't listen in on them anymore with out buying an expensive scanner like this Uniden BearTracker

·
Registered
572 Posts
again, sorry with the rookie questions...

Can one HAM radio get frequencies from VHF and UHF?
from the 100s, up to the 5 or 600s?
Yes, radios that we call "dual-banders" are capable of receiving and also transmitting on both the UHF band (70 cm - 440 mhz) and the VHF band (2m - 144mhz) Like the Yaesu FT8800, Kenwood D710A, Yaesu FTM350, Yaesu FT7900 ect...

I like the Icom 208H, it receives from the AM aviation band (100 mhz) up into the FM 999 mhz, but will not do trunking. Which looks like Icom possibly just discontinued :(

There are also tri-banders, and quad-banders like the Yaesu FT8900

Some radios like the all band all mode radios like the Yaesu FT857D or the Icom 7000 or 706 can transmit and receive from 1 mhz all the way up to 450 mhz, using upper and lower sidebands, AM, FM, CW and digital modes, but you are talking big bucks for equipment that can do that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Another Pro for HAM.

A 2M ham antenna can but as short as 13 inches and still work perfect.

A CB antenna will need to be at least 36 - 48 inches to work good.

Also, with HAM you can run APRS which tracks your location, send messages and uploads it to the internet. Great for loved ones to see where you are when cell phones dont work.

Need more HAMs. I dont like having two radios.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
ok, Im getting a handle on HAMs now, and liking them more....

but HAM w/ a APRS????

how does that work? APRS is like the SPOT gadget, correct? How does it hook into your HAM radio?
very cool!

·
Registered
572 Posts
ok, Im getting a handle on HAMs now, and liking them more....

but HAM w/ a APRS????

how does that work? APRS is like the SPOT gadget, correct? How does it hook into your HAM radio?
very cool!
Here area a couple of links explaining APRS
Electronic Diversions: Kenwood D710 and Nuvi 350 usage.
Electronic Diversions: Some Links for the Kenwood/Garmin APRS setup
APRS: Automatic Packet Reporting System
Google Maps APRS

Click the "track my FJ" in my signature and you can get an idea of how it works with the internet and google.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 (the Nuvi 350 is the only model that will work, properly) hooked into my Kenwood D710A ham radio VIA a Garmin translater cable available here cable
but this is only 1 way out of hundreds of ways to build an APRS system, this may be one of the easiest ways to do it. Some radios have it completely built in like this Yaesu HandyTalkie (HT) radio

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad to see some of you guys know your stuff. I have questions but I'll need to do a bit more research to better target them towards my needs. COMMS are not my strong suit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm watching this also, trying to do research on this myself. Hoping to get around to an install project this summer. But having so little knowledge and so much info out there to learn has been pushing that back.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts