Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the midst of installing my 100W HF transceiver, and I wondered before I finish this if anyone has had an issue with the RF causing problems with air bags or automatic braking systems? If so can you steer me to the info? I've not fired anything up yet, just want to be sure!

Thanks, Patrick KM5L :wave:

PS - I'm taking pics and will have the installation document uploaded soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Patrick,

Although I don't have anything in my FJ Cruiser. I have run 400 watts on HF from my 2008 Tundra and a 2004 Camry without any issues. A lot of RF issues is due to poor grounding and/or poor antenna installation. As long as the installation is good, I doubt if you will have any problems @100 watts.

73, Jim AB4D

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You can find a plethora of info at this site as well KØBG.COM
Alan does a great job of explaining mobile setups, antennas, bonding, grounding, etc., etc., etc.! :nerd

DE
Mike AD2_ _

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I'd just do ground bonds to the hood and exhaust and be sure to route the coax opposite of the main harness for minimal emi and electro magnetic coupling to the vehicle electrical system.
Also run fused power AND ground both from the battery to the to the rig as well....

73's

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Good advice above!

I run from 80 to 100 watts with my IC-7000 with no problems. I have the radio mounted under the drivers seat.

Run the power and ground wire direct to the radio. Do not use the vehicles wiring to power your radio.

As a precaution make sure you don't run your coax close to your FJ's computer. Sometimes if the ground isn't sufficient there may be some interaction.

A good ground is the key.

dale
W5WI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts