Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 681 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to compose a list of ALL the HAMS on the board (and other boards I'm on). Part of an effort some of us are talking about to promote Amateur Radio for use in off road hobbies.

I'll start:
KC0KWO - Colorado Springs - 2m/70cm - Shane W.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
shane check out my post on expeditionportal.com about using a standard format for this info so it is searchable

Forum Name: 1leglance
First Name: Lance
Callsign: KE7NKP
Radio: yeasu 7800
Freq usually on: 2m/70cm

·
Registered
14 Posts
First Name: Scott
Callsign: KE5HQP
Radio: Want to Install my ic207 in the FJ
Usually on 2m and 70cm

·
Registered
211 Posts
No call sign yet, I am starting class tomorrow here in San Fernando Valley. Hopefully a few more make it out for the class.

Ryan

·
Registered
171 Posts
Username: Expat

W6XPT

W= White (vehicle)
6= CA (California)
XPT = Expatriate (Australia)

·
Registered
146 Posts
N1GVI - North Providence, RI

·
Registered
63 Posts
Name: Dave
Radio: Yaesu FT-1802M
Call sign: KE7NCV

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Shane - No ham yet, but Tony is considering. We'll keep you posted.

Jackie

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm working on a site to promote HAM for Off Road use. Which sounds like a good domain name:
4x4ham.net
offroadham.net
hamoffroad.net

Something else?

What do you think??

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I like the 4x4ham.net
here are some others
4x4ARG.com (Amateur Radio Group) aval.
4x4hamcom.com aval.
OAR.com (offroad amateur radio) for sale

but without bursting your bubble I have to ask why?
Will you promote the combo of offroading with amateur radio for civic service, and emerg comm?
Will you be for-profit or non?
Will you be a forum or articles or sales?
What will you have that is different and/or better than other resources out there?

I think it would be a cool thing if done correctly but I only ask you these things to make sure they are running around in your head....since that is the question visitors will have.

There are already some groups that do a variety of things that allow you to use your 4x4 and ham and I agree that there isn't a great resource for folks who are 4x4er's and have a secondary interest in amateur radio (but won't ever have a "ham shack" in their house)...

Just want to keep your thoughts flowing and please keep us posted on your progress

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the thoughts lance....
I'm basically wanting to put up a FAQ about why HAM may be better for some than CB, provide resources for those interested, and maybe a database to locate other HAM off-roaders. So, the same type of stuff we've been discussing on here, Expedition Portal, and other forums - but all in one place.

The idea is to create something kind of 'shiny' to help bring more off roaders into the HAM world. I'm not thinking of an 'organization' per se, just an informational resource. Of course there are other resources out there, and my intention is to point anyone who visits the site to them.

To address specific questions:
Will you promote the combo of offroading with amateur radio for civic service, and emerg comm? - I'll provide links to ARES/RACES/Etc
Will you be for-profit or non? Non-profit (no ads)
Will you be a forum or articles or sales? Articles
What will you have that is different and/or better than other resources out there? Just the focus of off-road + HAM, nothing better than any other resources

I'll let everyone know when it's up & running.
:)

1 - 20 of 681 Posts