Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence about putting an HF rig in my truck simply because I've not yet seen an antenna setup that doesn't look completely absurd. I realize it's about function over form, but I'm also trying to convince myself that there is a mounting / antenna option that doesn't stick out on an FJ like a turd in a punchbowl.

The Little Tarheel II has caught my eye and looks like it could be a good match for a Yaesu 857D. I'd retain my Bandi mount with Comet SBB-5 antenna for the VHF/UHF side. If I could figure out a way to mount the Tarheel II on the right-rear side of the FJ...

Anyway, show me what you've got for an HF setup. Thanks! :D

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I run a Yaesu FT857D and the Yaesu ATAS-120A adjustable antenna on the back door with a Diamond mount. It works great, band adjustments take a push of a button, and it is out of the way of trail damage.

My concern for the mount 5greens designed is it mounts in a very vulnerable area of the rear bumper - plenty of folks have dented or torn off their bumper ends, and contact on that antenna would be expensive...:mecry:

I do like the fact it is color-matched to the FJ...:cheers:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree with cruiserarry and in fact lost that rear corner of the bumper twice before. The antenna is post mounted and can be removed or installed in a minute. I decided that the HF antenna was not needed on the rougher trails. The Hi-lift jack also gets mounted upside down when needed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I run a Yaesu FT857D and the Yaesu ATAS-120A adjustable antenna on the back door with a Diamond mount. It works great, band adjustments take a push of a button, and it is out of the way of trail damage.
I'm using the same setup for HF. I'll see if I can scrounge up a photo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am very happy with my Little Tarheel. I also use N2VZ's Turbo Tuner which makes mobile tuning a no brainer (good for me). I have friends who have good luck with th ATAS 120, however that was not the case for me. The Tarheel has survived harsh winters that killed my ATAS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I run an Icom IC-7000 with a full sized Tarheel plus a Yaesu FT8800R with a Comet dual-band antenna. The Tarheel is mounted on a bracket welded to the ftame and extending from the rear driver's side. The dual-band is mounted on a clip mount on the upper passenger side of the rear door.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I would suggest two possible solutions for your vehicle. I will take some pictures for you. But here is the layout that I took for my FT-857D and two mounts, one of course the Bandi Mount drilled out for a PL259 connector. The second mount is a Diamond K400. Either one will be fine for a HF type antenna (ATAS120A, Little Tarheel ii, High Sierra Sidekick). I currently run a VHF/UHF on the K-400 mount and the Bandi Mount houses the (ATAS-120a) currently. I will be switching to the High Sierra Side Kick antenna (http://www.hamcq.com/high-sierra-hf-antennas/sidekick-antenna/prod_3.html). But that okay for me as I am like yourself and everything on my rig needs to fit perfectly.

Any questions, regarding mounting, location, cable runs, let me know as I have been a ham (Extra Class Operator) for well over 10+ years.

Take Care,
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the full-size high sierra off the bicycle mount on my spare tire. I used the bolt that screws/locks the rack to the tire mount to hold the antenna on. Blends in well, aside from the whip- most people don't notice it.
Worked good, from coastal Louisiana I worked mid-west nets less than 100W. I used grounding straps to ensure good electrical grounding to chasis, since the bike mount doesn't ensure this. Currently overseas- waiting to try off Mount Etna ;)
Antenna cable and ground strap run under the tire, then under the outside door edge. The strap routes through the hole in the bumper that is just below the door hinge, and the antenna cable is just through-the-door right there too. Works great to keep cabling away from reverse sensors, etc. The provided picture is before I found this routing possible without any mod's... the picture shows the ground strap hanging out some- it would occasionally set off the back-up sensors, but still worked.
I like it high like this- the loading coil is above the horizontal plane of the vehicle chasis this way. I need the 3/8" fold down- it'd be perfect to be able to enter car garages, etc- and if using a standoff insulator - may work as a great NVIS (near verticle incidence skywave) NVIS Amateur Radio Antennas
Also, envisioned if camping- attaching copper wire ground radials to ant mount to fill ground plane behind the vehicle... probably not really needed though. Also- could use kite hoisted arial, tuned by the coil.
Tuning is easy- adjust for loudest noise, then use power tuning to hit the sweet spot. A step up would be an MFJ ant tuner.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking about using 12v from the built in supply line to the 12vDC/110v AC rectifier in the back. Any thoughts on that? Anyone know the DC current rating for it?

Patrick

·
Registered
832 Posts

The Little Tarheel II has caught my eye and looks like it could be a good match for a Yaesu 857D. I'd retain my Bandi mount with Comet SBB-5 antenna for the VHF/UHF side. If I could figure out a way to mount the Tarheel II on the right-rear side of the FJ...

Anyway, show me what you've got for an HF setup. Thanks! :D
I'd stick that short HF on the mount on the hinge, its plenty strong enough and then using a lip mount put the lighter 2/440 on the right side. You'll hit more trees on the curb side and opening and closing the door, the lighter antenna will like it more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
832 Posts
The HF antenna is a Hi-Q that is now called a piranha 6R, its in a fabed mount on the tire swingout. There is also a very wide banded comet 2×4SR on a lip mount on the right side. I also have a ⅜-24 puck mount on the roof and a bandi with a UHF bulkhead connector, both do not have anything on them in the pictures. With those antennas shown I can cover 160m-6m, 2m, 70cm, 11m, MURS, marine band, public works/safety, weather band, RX to 1.2Ghz.

DX FJC

I'm on my phone because I'm screwing off...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts