Great traction!
Solid construction
Don't clog much at all
Not too expensive
Good tread wear properties

Cons:
Heavy (there goes the mpg!)
Road Noise (not too bad, though)

Next set I purchase might be an A/T set though, so that I can recoup some mpg's when driving daily commutes. But, by the time these wear out Hankook might come up with a newer design for A/T's that are slightly more aggressive, but not as aggressive as the M/T's. Who knows, tire manufacturers seem to come out with new designs constantly...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/6393-tires-hankook-dynapro-mt-rt03.html

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Had mine since Feb. 9,000 miles.

Pro's:
Looks great
Love the side wall design
Great wet road traction
Air these babies down and leave it in 2 wheel drive for most stuff
Solid tire ( Had a nail in one of the lugs and thats where it stopped ). The nail went in to the lug and bent in half
Price (160 a piece)
Great tread wear so far
Awesome off road traction and this M/T does not tear up the trails like some other M/T's, like the BFG and Firestone.

Cons'
MPG's ( expected though with a M/T at around 60lbs a piece )
A bit of road noise ( also expected )
If your looking for an aggressive M/T, this is a mild one
Could be better in sand, but still not bad being they're meant for mud.

All in all, I love this tire and will be buying some more when the time comes

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Over 25k miles in a year and a half. I was planning on getting another set when these wear out but it might be a long time from now. They still have lots of tread left. the ride is the same as when I bought them, and the noise level has not changed.
Over all I have been very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Does anyone have MPG info on 285s?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
With stock 265 Dunlops, I get ~19.5 city/ 21 hwy

With the Kook 285's, I get ~16 city/ 17 hwy (little difference)

They do eat into a tank of fuel, but not too badly...

·
Registered
143 Posts

I do not have a long term report - but short term
285/70-R17 RT03 MT

Pros:
Great traction!
Solid construction
Don't clog much at all
Not too expensive
Good tread wear properties

Cons:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Hmmm... Sounds like something I just said...:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I think they call that plagiarism - cut/paste?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I run them on road at 35-36

They feel better then at 39-40 like I had them at before

It's all just personal taste - i would say you should experiment a bit and see what you like

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
I was wondering what air pressure the rest of you with these tires are running. I am at 40 on the road and 20 off road but I would like to go lower if it is still safe.
I havd hankooks for about 30000 miles took many long trip Ouray, Lake Tahoe, alb NM, Portland Oregon, Pismo Beach CA, San Diego etc

No problem on Highway . great ride expected noise balancing out nicely. The pressure you run depends on your weight and the feel. I back the pressure off when the truck begins to wander some. I run them at about 36 front 34 rear it seems to be a good pressure for my truck. I still have the hankooks in my garage but got a great deal on some BFG's KM2's , these seem to bite the rocks alittle better but I still have no hankook complaints

Now I run 38 front and 36 rear on the BFG's

·
Registered
952 Posts
265-75R16 - 20,000kms and counting...

Pros:
Great traction!
Solid construction
Don't clog much at all
Reasonable tread wear properties

Cons:
Hard to find (North of the Border)
Terrible traction in the snow/cold - to be expected for an MT

Satisfied - don't regret the purchase. Thought I would be doing more "mud" trails.
In retrospect, I would replace them with something that is more available ( ref. expedition travel), narrower and taller.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ive had mine for about 10k miles. Havent used them off-road much, but on road they are noisy. Holding up pretty well thusfar. Looking forward to seeing them perform in Ouray.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yours are Noisy ???

Must not have upgraded your stereo yet

I barely hear mine

Maybe after years of throwing grenades in the Army my hearing is suffering a bit

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
After doing a little research I found that the max pressure on the stock size Hankooks is 80psi. Some of the larger sizes have a max pressure of 50psi. I have pumped mine up over 60psi and will check my mileage on the first leg of my trip to Ouray (200 miles from here to Nashville.) So far around town the higher pressure seems to have little or no affect on the handling of the FJ But if I don't gain any MPG by running this higher pressure I will back it back down to 40 for the rest of the trip.
I will update this as I go.
Scott

·
Registered
410 Posts
41,165 miles on mine - 3,654 off road - about 600 in Moab. I'll replace them before it snows and may sipe them myself for the ice and wet, but I have treated them like crap and they have been great to me. I rotate semi-regularly and run them at 32 for more flotation. My LT265/70R17(32X10.50R17) tire is a 10 ply, where the slightly larger LT285/70R17(33X11.50R17) is an 8 ply tire. I don't know what, if any difference this makes, but I am thrilled with the mileage I have gotten from them.

AWESOME in the sand at 18-20.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts