Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TIme for new shoes for my '07 FJ, I'm slipping and sliding all over the place in the rain. I've spent the last hour looking through the threads and can't seem to find anything on the specific Hankooks I'm looking at although from what I've read about other Hankooks, they seem to have favorable reviews. So I'm looking into Nitto Terra Grappler G2's and Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11 E/10 Ply (both in stock size: 265/70R17) . The Nittos are $159 and the Hankooks are $127 at Walmart.com. Reviews I've read elsewhere on both have been generally good. My main concerns for both tires are grip in the rain since the majority of my driving is on road, mileage, and especially how quiet/noisy they are. Right now I have Cooper Discoverer H/T's on the FJ and they're way noisier than I would like. I can't tell which is noisier, my rear diff or the tires ;-)

Until I saw the price on these I was headed for the Nittos as I've always read good things on here about them. But I'm leaning towards the Hankooks due to the price. Anyone had any experience with these particular Hankooks though and what can you tell me?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me,
Wayne

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great tire for the price in AT is the Falken Wildpeakes, I got great deal on these online for my F150 check them out.
I've read a bit about them and the reviews have been good from what I've seen. I read somewhere that they're the same tires as some made by Sumitomo. One question though, in reading reviews almost to a man people have said their gas mileage dropped with the Falkens. Have you experienced that? My FJ only gets about 13 mpg so I can't afford for it to get any worse. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
260 Posts
We have 11 trucks that are all running Nitto now. I made the switch a few years back after using BFG for years. Nitto makes an awesome tire! I have run Nitto Terra Grapplers for almost a decade. The Grapplers on my FJ had 50k and were on a 5 wheel rotation. I switched to Ridge Grapplers last year because I went to 35" tires. Unless you have added hundreds of pounds with aftermarket accessories and go in rocky places, DO NOT buy the LT tires no matter the manufacturer. LT tires make the ride substantially harder and will give you less gas mileage. LT tires are heavier and use a harder compound. I also use nitrogen in my tires. We document mileage for fleet management and nitrogen gives us almost 20% longer tire life in our trucks. In our cars, nitrogen gives us less than 10% more tire life. I assume it is because of the volume of air difference. Hope this helps give you a little more information to make your decision.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have 11 trucks that are all running Nitto now. I made the switch a few years back after using BFG for years. Nitto makes an awesome tire! I have run Nitto Terra Grapplers for almost a decade. The Grapplers on my FJ had 50k and were on a 5 wheel rotation. I switched to Ridge Grapplers last year because I went to 35" tires. Unless you have added hundreds of pounds with aftermarket accessories and go in rocky places, DO NOT buy the LT tires no matter the manufacturer. LT tires make the ride substantially harder and will give you less gas mileage. LT tires are heavier and use a harder compound. I also use nitrogen in my tires. We document mileage for fleet management and nitrogen gives us almost 20% longer tire life in our trucks. In our cars, nitrogen gives us less than 10% more tire life. I assume it is because of the volume of air difference. Hope this helps give you a little more information to make your decision.
Excellent, that's great info! I also have been using Nitrogen in my tires as well for a number of years. I haven't been able to tell that big of a difference but then again, I don't have the fleet of vehicles for comparison that you have ;-) When you switched from the BFG's do you remember if you noticed any change in gas mileage? I've been reading about the Falkens since someone else mentioned them and while I like the price and the comments about the tire being really quiet, all of them have said their fuel economy dropped anywhere from 1-2 MPG. I can't afford to get any worse mileage as I only get about 13 MPG in my FJ as it is. Thanks again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've read a bit about them and the reviews have been good from what I've seen. I read somewhere that they're the same tires as some made by Sumitomo. One question though, in reading reviews almost to a man people have said their gas mileage dropped with the Falkens. Have you experienced that? My FJ only gets about 13 mpg so I can't afford for it to get any worse. Thanks for the input!
I put BFG KO2 on my truck when new and wore them out put Falken Wildpeakes on and no difference in mileage at all but both are kind of heavy 10 ply. I got 8K miles on Falkens and they look new still.

·
Registered
71 Posts
TIme for new shoes for my '07 FJ, I'm slipping and sliding all over the place in the rain. I've spent the last hour looking through the threads and can't seem to find anything on the specific Hankooks I'm looking at although from what I've read about other Hankooks, they seem to have favorable reviews. So I'm looking into Nitto Terra Grappler G2's and Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11 E/10 Ply (both in stock size: 265/70R17) . The Nittos are $159 and the Hankooks are $127 at Walmart.com. Reviews I've read elsewhere on both have been generally good. My main concerns for both tires are grip in the rain since the majority of my driving is on road, mileage, and especially how quiet/noisy they are. Right now I have Cooper Discoverer H/T's on the FJ and they're way noisier than I would like. I can't tell which is noisier, my rear diff or the tires ;-)

Until I saw the price on these I was headed for the Nittos as I've always read good things on here about them. But I'm leaning towards the Hankooks due to the price. Anyone had any experience with these particular Hankooks though and what can you tell me?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me,
Wayne
Wayne, I have not used any of the Hankook off road tires, but for years I have used their high performance tires on my Porsches and have found them to be excellent in every way, hold wet and dry as well as longevity. I would not hesitate to try them myself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Add Yokohama Geolandar GO15 to the list, they are wolf in sheep's clothing and perform well in snow and rain as well as sand and rocks and moderate mud off road.

·
トヨタ Master
5,785 Posts
OP asked for opinions about Hankooks and Nittos. I sell tires for a living and have better suggestions for the price but this is not what he asked.

There are 9 million threads on the subject should he decide to to the research on other tires.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There was a difference between the Nitto and BFG with Nitto being a little better. Unless you have added over a 1/2 ton in accessories and do rock crawling, there is no need to buy an LT tire. The passenger rated tires will give you a better ride and much better gas mileage. We have used Continental, BFG, Goodyear, and Nitto on our trucks. I don't hesitate to recommend Nitto when asked. Our trucks are used for ranch work and hauling cattle. Mud, brush, and gravel roads. The biggest issue we have here in central Texas is mesquite. They have huge thorns and puncture tires easily. Since going to Nitto we have seen a drop in punctures as well. Not sure of the correlation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great info, thanks again! I'm about 95% on road so the Passenger tires are definitely the way to go for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP asked for opinions about Hankooks and Nittos. I sell tires for a living and have better suggestions for the price but this is not what he asked.

There are 9 million threads on the subject should he decide to to the research on other tires.
Thanks and you are correct, I've been trying to narrow down the possibilities but there have been some good recommendations and I appreciate everyone's help very much. I read through a boatload of the discussions prior to making my original post, but unfortunately didn't find the answers I needed. That being said, since you'rein the business I am curious about your "better suggestions for the price". Right now I've narrowed it down, based on everyone's recommendations, to the Nitto ($159) or Falken Wildpeaks ($120). I've heard the Falkens get noisier after about 7k miles so that puts the Nittos in the lead for me but at $30 a tire maybe I can put up with a little extra noise. I've only seen one comment to that effect though, so it could have been an isolated incidence.

·
トヨタ Master
5,785 Posts
Thanks and you are correct, I've been trying to narrow down the possibilities but there have been some good recommendations and I appreciate everyone's help very much. I read through a boatload of the discussions prior to making my original post, but unfortunately didn't find the answers I needed. That being said, since you'rein the business I am curious about your "better suggestions for the price". Right now I've narrowed it down, based on everyone's recommendations, to the Nitto ($159) or Falken Wildpeaks ($120). I've heard the Falkens get noisier after about 7k miles so that puts the Nittos in the lead for me but at $30 a tire maybe I can put up with a little extra noise. I've only seen one comment to that effect though, so it could have been an isolated incidence.
Alrighty then! Let's get down this rabbit hole! ;) What size tires are you interested in and what do you have on there now? You suggested that most of your driving is on road, is it dirt road or highway, and honestly, how often do you take it on dirt or get it in 4 wheel drive? These are considerations to think about to get the best tire for your actual driving conditions. Also, what is the weather like where you live or plan to drive? Lotta rain, snow, ice, dry climate south west, sand, Rockies, etc? This will help as well.

If you are truly looking at an all terrain tire vs. the highway tires you have on there now, lets make sure it's one that will last the longest and be the best for your real world driving situations and conditions. Also, are you going to venture into the idea of lifting and outfitting this FJ in the near future? Once a small wad is blown on tires, FJers often want to start modding right away and then regret getting those smaller tires they just bought. We will look at different tread compounds and sidewall ply ratings to find the ideal tire.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just wanted to add to all of the great advice. I've had some issues with my Nitto G2s and slippage on wet roads. In summary, I am happy with the Nitto G2s for my use and purposes (balance of off-road and highway) and would probably get again. I am running the G2s on my FJ and 4Runner. For highway driving, I feel that the stock tires are superior (stock tires did not slip on wet roads nearly as much). I provided a little more info from my experience with the G2s in the following discussion: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/threads/nitto-terra-grappler-g2.734880/#post-9247534 There is also some other great feedback here as well.

Just my thoughts ...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OK, then, here we go. I'm in Lexington KY. I used to do a lot of off roading 40-50 years ago on Dirt Bikes but as far as 4 wheeling, I've never really done much, short of getting on dirt/gravel roads or possibly in someone's field. I'd love to and if I ever get a chance I'll definitely do it, but I just don't have the time and the nearest location to do any kind of off roading is about 75 miles away. Weather here is subject to change at any time - LOL. We do have all 4 real seasons and in the Winter it can get snowy and icy, while in the Spring, Summer, and Fall we get a fair amount of rain. We're not talking massive amounts of snow, most people would consider a foot or two an apocalypse around here. I'm always the one people call if they need to get somewhere and they're afraid to drive because it doesn't bother me to get out in anything. I'll drive in any condition so that's why I'm thinking want an all terrain tire. In spite of that, I'm a Biker and try to spend as little time on 4 wheels as I can. I refer to my FJ as my foul weather gear and it mostly gets used in rain and snow, whenever I can't ride my bikes. 265/70R17 is the size that's on it and I currently have Cooper Discoverer H/T's on there. I don't really care for them. They're noisy and traction in the rain isn't very good. even when they were newer. My primary concerns are price, noise level (only mods I've done are to the audio system & lighting and I'd like to be able to hear the audio system when I'm driving), and being able to control it in the rain/snow since the majority of driving I do are in those conditions. Gas mileage is a concern too since I only get about 13mpg and since it's an '07 I have to use Premium gas. So I definitely don't want something that will drag my mileage down any further. Current tires have basically dry rotted and hardened up. but they still have a fair amount of tread on them unfortunately. I've got another set of 5 Goodyear tires in my garage that a friend gave me off of his FJ, but they look almost as dry rotted as mine. The bad part is that his spare and my spare have never seen pavement. That's about all I can think of.........

·
トヨタ Master
5,785 Posts
OK, then, here we go. I'm in Lexington KY. I used to do a lot of off roading 40-50 years ago on Dirt Bikes but as far as 4 wheeling, I've never really done much, short of getting on dirt/gravel roads or possibly in someone's field. I'd love to and if I ever get a chance I'll definitely do it, but I just don't have the time and the nearest location to do any kind of off roading is about 75 miles away. Weather here is subject to change at any time - LOL. We do have all 4 real seasons and in the Winter it can get snowy and icy, while in the Spring, Summer, and Fall we get a fair amount of rain. We're not talking massive amounts of snow, most people would consider a foot or two an apocalypse around here. I'm always the one people call if they need to get somewhere and they're afraid to drive because it doesn't bother me to get out in anything. I'll drive in any condition so that's why I'm thinking want an all terrain tire. In spite of that, I'm a Biker and try to spend as little time on 4 wheels as I can. I refer to my FJ as my foul weather gear and it mostly gets used in rain and snow, whenever I can't ride my bikes. 265/70R17 is the size that's on it and I currently have Cooper Discoverer H/T's on there. I don't really care for them. They're noisy and traction in the rain isn't very good. even when they were newer. My primary concerns are price, noise level (only mods I've done are to the audio system & lighting and I'd like to be able to hear the audio system when I'm driving), and being able to control it in the rain/snow since the majority of driving I do are in those conditions. Gas mileage is a concern too since I only get about 13mpg and since it's an '07 I have to use Premium gas. So I definitely don't want something that will drag my mileage down any further. Current tires have basically dry rotted and hardened up. but they still have a fair amount of tread on them unfortunately. I've got another set of 5 Goodyear tires in my garage that a friend gave me off of his FJ, but they look almost as dry rotted as mine. The bad part is that his spare and my spare have never seen pavement. That's about all I can think of.........
Ok, the noise you are experiencing with your H/Ts can be attributed to the age and the compound. I sell a lot of Cooper H/Ts too, but they are truly made for many miles driven in shorter periods of time. Meaning they work really well for a few years for heavier vehicles that see 15-20k miles per year. After about 4 years, typically, they start to harden. And even though they do that, they traditionally still have quite a bit of tread on them.

I think for your application, a softer, longer duration tire will hold up better. My initial thoughts are the Cooper AT3 4S in SL (Part # 90000032694) is a heavier 4 ply rated tire with good siping and very good characteristics for general driving in all climates and most driving conditions. Tread blocks are a bit further away than the H/Ts you run now, and a lot bigger than the original highway treads your FJ came with. Another really good option for someone such as yourself who is concerned about wet weather grip would be the Cooper Discoverer SRX (Part # 9000002711). It is similar in tread to your H/Ts but with a bit larger blocking on the outside edge, and deep longer grooves around the circumference of the tire. This helps with rain and hydroplaning and general driving winding roads in the summer. Having said that they aren't the absolute best tire in the winter, but the feedback I get from customers is that they are still better than a factory Michelin LTX or LT2, which come on a lot of mid size and full size SUVs and half ton trucks. I assume when you get snow, that it is pretty wet. These tires accel in the wet.

I think the Nittos you suggested are a little more aggressive and compare with the BFG A/T Ko2 and General Grabber ATX, both of which are good tires for general all terrain adventures, such as being in the dirt frequently. The biggest problem that I've seen with the Hankooks are that they tend to start cupping early and having a very in tune suspension and frequent alignment and rotations can combat this, but you end up spending more money just trying to protect the investment of your tires. Why not just pony up a little more cash initially and buy a tire that doesn't have these negative characteristics. That's just the maintenance part. Like your H/Ts, the Hankooks tend to harden up over time as well.

I don't know a lot about the Nitto G2s but if they have similarities at all to the old Terra Grapplers, they are probably a pretty good tire. The old generation had good wear, long life, and even a quietness about them that I liked. We ran them on a 2004 Tahoe for 6 years with no issues and regular rotations and got about 50k miles out of them. I also don't know a lot about the new Falken AT3W, as I have only sold two sets and don't have much feedback so far. They are a bit hard for my personal liking for an SL or XL ply rated tire, suggesting to me that they will get exponentially harder as time goes on. Most tires do eventually, creating less highway grip and more noise. I've gotten tremendous feedback on the new Falken Wildpeak M/Ts but we are not concerned about that with your FJ.

On to tread life. These are the recommended tread expectancy, don't get this confused with tire warranty mileage figures. Expected life is as follows:

Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 Part # 1008678 50,000 miles
Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11 Part # 1016678 60,000 miles
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 115T Part # 215030 65,000 miles
Falken Wilpeak AT3W RBL Part # 28034300 55,000 miles
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S Part # 90000032694 65,000 miles
Cooper Discoverer SRX 115T Part # 90000027117 75,000 miles
*Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT 112S Part # 90000032596 60,000 miles
General Grabber ATX FR 115T Part # 04508380000 60,000 miles
BF Goodrich A/T KO2 112/109S Part # 10892 No Posted Mileage Expectancy

*One exception in a little bit stronger tire might be the Cooper AT3 LT. These are a true 6 ply rated tire, are a little stronger than the typical 4 ply rated SL or XL tires and are a good compromise between a 4 ply rated and 10 ply rated tire. We have these on our '18 4Runner and this vehicle sees 90% paved and highway surfaces.

I threw in some Generals and BFGs for your comparison, the BFGs are a true 6 ply rated, but both of these tires will yield a bit more noise, particularly the Generals. I list this because noise seems to be a bit of a concern for you. I like the siping in the Coopers a lot and this helps when cornering, braking, and acceleration in inclement weather. This is one reason I sell more Coopers than any other brand, plus the price point and tread wear vs the competition just makes sense. I sell them all though so don't think I'm branded. I have Generals on two of my Toyota smaller trucks and my son's car, Cooper AT3s on the 4Runner and my shop Chevrolet 1500 Silverado, Toyos on my snow plow truck, Falken M/Ts on my old Dodge diesel, and Yokohamas on our FJ.

I'm here often and would be glad to answer any other questions.

-CC

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, that's a huge amount of really helpful info!!! I know it took you a good bit of time to put all that together so I very, very much appreciate your efforts to help me.
Based on what you said, I think I'll abandon the idea of the Hankooks (hardening/cupping) and the General / BFG's (noise).. That leaves me with the Nitto, Falken (albeit some question there about potentially getting harder than others over time), and Cooper. The Cooper SRX seem to have great expected mileage, but I'm expecting I'd be back in the Dry Rot/Hardening saga before I ever got to that kind of mileage. I had ruled out Coopers because of the H/T's I have but it sounds like what I'm experiencing may be more of a characteristic of that particular tire than of the brand as a whole. I'll do a little closer looking into the Coopers though based on your recommendations. Thanks again, I very much appreciate the help!!!

·
トヨタ Master
5,785 Posts
Wow, that's a huge amount of really helpful info!!! I know it took you a good bit of time to put all that together so I very, very much appreciate your efforts to help me.
Based on what you said, I think I'll abandon the idea of the Hankooks (hardening/cupping) and the General / BFG's (noise).. That leaves me with the Nitto, Falken (albeit some question there about potentially getting harder than others over time), and Cooper. The Cooper SRX seem to have great expected mileage, but I'm expecting I'd be back in the Dry Rot/Hardening saga before I ever got to that kind of mileage. I had ruled out Coopers because of the H/T's I have but it sounds like what I'm experiencing may be more of a characteristic of that particular tire than of the brand as a whole. I'll do a little closer looking into the Coopers though based on your recommendations. Thanks again, I very much appreciate the help!!!
I'm sorry that I don't have more experience with the Falkens or the Nittos at this time. I simply don't get a lot of requests for them. This is changing a bit with the Falkens because consumers really like the price point on them. Falken really left a bad taste in my mouth after many failure and warranty issues with their old line of High Country All Terrains. Since, they invested about $2M into retooling their factory and doing some much needed R&D. I know they don't have as much R&D as the bigger brands but things are changing and my outlook is more optimistic. Again, if the new Nittos are anything like the old Terra Grapplers, then they should be a strong contender. This isn't always true of tire manufacturers when they change the tread and compound, and in fact, I've seen a handful of times that the new product is inferior in some way(s) for certain driving conditions.

Also, I drive on tires and want to test them out personally. This gives me somewhat of an advantage because I rarely keep a set of anything on my vehicles for more than a year or two. Someone gets my slightly used tires for a great deal, and i get to do my own R&D of sorts. There are a couple of exceptions where I put X tire on X vehicle because I have faith in them based on past use. I simply know what I like for certain vehicles and if it ain't broke, don't fix it! This is one reason I run variations of Cooper AT3s on my shop truck and my wife's daily driver. I simply know that I can count on them for our needs and driving habits and the noise won't grate on my brain on 1200 mile trips. I sell what I use and I use what I sell.

As far as dry rotting, all modern tires will do this after a certain duration and depending on humidity in the region(s) in which the tires are driven, can make the difference in tire life. The more repetitive moist & dry conditions occur, the faster a tire will start to show cracking in the tread and sidewall. Keep in mind that this is only the very outer layer of the tire and doesn't mean that they are going to blow out just any day. It is a good indicator and a reminder that you will need a new set in the near future.

Looking at the difference between your H/Ts and say....SRXs for example, yours are designed for a 60,000 mile expectancy. This is the very new H/T. Yours are older now and may have only had a life expectancy of 50 or 55k. When we originally got the H/Ts in our catalogs, they were really more marketed towards the commercial fleet industry. Meaning lots of daily travel in most weather conditions and mostly pavement travel, but strong enough to hit the dirt also. They were put on everything from flower delivery vans all the way up to freight trucks such as UPS or FEDEX vans. They are a tough tire but life expectancy is based more on high mileage within a shorter interval. This is one reason that they have a harder compound and tend to crack earlier. The SRX is made with a state of the art tread compound that is designed for much more mileage in a typical 5000# or so vehicle, and they simply work for "most" regional conditions. I don't sell a ton of them, but of the ones I have, the wear characteristics are absolutely phenominal when rotated every 10k miles, so Cooper has done their homework.

I am not trying to sway you one way or the other, just to inform you of some things to be armed with when doing some tire shopping.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts