Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Again, great info and thank you for that. Re: what you said about the cracking in between the treads, that may be some good news that will help me postpone a purchase for awhile. I don't remember the brand (BFG I think), but I do have a set of 5 tires in my garage that a friend gave me. The spare has never even been mounted on a vehicle. He bought a 2010 FJ and immediately took these tires off and put a set of Michelins on (he likes Michelins). Last I looked at them, they had a fair bit of cracking between the treads and based on what a local tire dealer told me, I was thinking maybe I shouldn't use them.
I'm having some trouble with my tires holding air (nitrogen actually) - especially the left front for some reason. It's losing about 20 lbs of pressure every 2-3 weeks, but there are no obvious leaks. ( I don't have a tank big enough to fill with water and submerge them to see if I can find a leak) Originally I was told it was my Toyota rims oxidizing around the bead and causing leaks, which seemed reasonable as there is a fair bit of oxidation. So about a year ago the tire dealer I got to took the tires off, ground the rims, sealed them, and re-installed them. They told me that should take care of the problem and I'd never have to deal with losing pressure like that again. Didn't really help as now I'm right back to where I was. Same dealer recently looked at my tires when I took them in for more nitrogen and said they needed to be replaced. They implied I was possibly losing tire pressure through the cracks in between the treads and any one of the tires could blow out at any minute. When someone tells me something like that I view it as a scare tactic and don't generally believe them, but it did get me wondering about the spare set I have. They have much more tread and the compound still feels fairly soft compared to my Coopers, but they have the same sort of cracking between the treads. So maybe they'll work for a year or two after all. I'll have to look into that a little more.

·
トヨタ Master
5,845 Posts
I'd probably skip on the BFGs if they already have cracking. Plus, who know's how old they are. With BFGs, they are most likely older than 5 or 6 years. You can look at the DOT date to get an idea. This is what you are looking for:

What is a tire date code and where do I find it? | TireBuyer.com

As far as a wheel problem, they should've taken the time to take the tire off and actually look for the leak, spraying, water tank etc. Soapy water usually works the best for finding slow leaks. Sometimes they'll need the tire(s) over night to find a long slow leak. If all they did was seal the bead, this may not have actually sealed it. The correct way is to remove all the old dirt, debris, and material from the old wheel before applying bead sealer. One tiny grain of sand will still have enough of an imperfection to make the seal not function. If it were me, I'd stop wasting money on Nitrogen until the leak is resolved or until you replace the tires. There's nothing wrong with good old fashioned air, it's been holding up tires for over a hundred years. The extra money spent can be saved for the new tires themselves.

The thing about cracks is that you just never know how long they will last until you have a bigger problem. I generally tell my customers that if they are on a budget, when I first start seeing the cracks, to start saving for tires. Replace them as soon as you can but don't lose any sleep if you can't do it for a few months. I have a lot of older customers on a fixed income so they can't always pony up the dough for a set right away. Keep in mind that the cheaper the tires are, the cheaper they were made as well. A non premium brand will almost always fail much sooner than a top tier brand. They just aren't engineered as well or as strong.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks. I'll check the tire mfg dates. At one time I did that and they are newer than what's on my FJ if I remember correctly. I'll check them again though. The real killer is that both that tire #5 and my tire #5 have never been used. I've always had my tires rotated every 5k miles, but they've apparently done a 4 tire rotation and not a 5 tire rotation. So the spares have never been mounted on a vehicle.. Again, thanks for the great info!

·
トヨタ Master
5,845 Posts
Any time and good luck! Let us know what you ended up with. I always appreciate feedback when it comes to tires.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts