Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the FJ Cruiser world, I bought a 2014 FJ, cement in color. Its a great vehicle and it seems that Toyota will not offer it again, any time soon. After reading the front brake job problems the gentleman had in the "salt belt", I decided to change out calipers, pads and rotors with new Toyota gear (100,000 miles on mine)). I must say dealer parts are pretty pricey, but hey, they fit exactly to the vehicle as the old parts. Also, I recently added the TRD front skid plate from Toyota and it was a big pain in the arse. Holy crap, something with four bolts, really!?!?!? If you are going to put on the silver looking TRD skid plate (TRD is in RED), (supposedly will bolt right onto an FJ) go ahead and stop at Ace Hardware. Come to find out, the front holes to the forward brackets have to be removed (one at a time) and drilled out, then filed a bit to smooth out the holes in the mount brackets. While your at Ace Hardware, get two bolts for the forward mounting bolts that are exactly 3/8" longer. Otherwise, you will sit there and spin the bolts that come with the pan and never touch a single thread. The rear bolts go in fine, the front bolts, go ahead and toss those factory bolts. I also took off the retainer washers (needle nose pliers) on those two front bolts, and put the Ace Hardware bolts in place of. Then on top of the bolts are two (one each per bolts) aluminium spacers, that's were the two retainer lock washers keep the bolts from falling out of place when you are dropping the skid plate.. if you do it my way, you'll have two days of crunch holds and some sore stomach muscles. Don't recommend doing that one, ugh. Anyways, cheers Cooter

·
Premium Member
16,569 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi Cooterrific, welcome from Ohio!

·
Registered
2013 FJ OD Manual
118 Posts
Welcome from Washington State, nice FJ you got there. Thank you for your service!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts