Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with these generators?? I got a coupon in the Boat US magazine for $89. I thought it might be worth it. I do not have one at the moment and I have no power source were I keep the boat at. I'll be able to polish the boat in the storage without needing to take it home and also for when going camping and such.

here is a link for the generator.

800 Rated Watts/900 Max Watts Portable Generator

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Because it's a two stroke I would think it would be quite noisy, another thing is will it be able to handle the start up of your polisher...also, it only has a 90 warranty. Not saying to buy this generator but take a look at the warranty ( 3 years compared to 90 days ), Husky 2,250-Watt Gasoline-Powered Generator with Subaru Engine - HU2250 at The Home Depot

Over the years I've bought several things from HF, I've been happy with all my purchases but I don't think I'd buy one of there generators. Think of it as a lifetime investment, I have a Honda 4500 watt and a Coleman 1200 watt generator. I've had the Honda for 20 plus years with no problems, the Coleman I bought 4 years ago to use at the races and it's worked flawlessly. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A $90 generator is better than no generator at all. I picked up a 1k Honda clone off of Craigslist for $100.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
the only tools I buy from harbor freight are pipe wrenchs... and even 1 of those broke!
For the last 20+ years I've only bought Craftsman.
It may be made in China now, but it's at least made by Chinese in a factory and not by those that live on a farm.
With unlimited lead paint supplies...:lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
We went though 4 portable generators; 3 Craftman and 1 Coleman 1200 watt generator, before buying a Yamaha Generator 2800 watt generator. We have had it for over 20 years. If it broke tomorrow I would either buy another Yamaha or go with the Honda. We just had too many problems with the off brand generators. The Yamahas and Hondas crank within 3 pulls of the cord every time.
Something to consider is repairs any Yamaha or Honda dealership will work on their brand. This needed to be mentioned but we have never had our Yamaha in for service.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I took the risk of buying the Harbour Freight generator and I was actually really surprised. $80 was worth taking the risk (actually it was less becuase they did not have a free flashlight you receive when buying $50 or more so they gave me a 15% discount) I do know that it will not last forever and I'm also aware that it is not as good as a Honda, Yamaha, etc.

I mainly bought it to power my polisher and dremmel for when I need to do something on the boat. Also, it is portable enough to take to a camping and power a small fan, stove, mini fridge, etc (not all at once)

Please keep in mind that I live in a high rise in Miami and really have no where to put a big generator. This generator is small enough that I can put it in my balcony and hide it behing a corner table.

So far I am happy with it. I worked with it for about two hours last saturday and it performed nicely. Also I though it would be a lot louder and it was actually very good.

Next thing I am doing is changing the spark plug to an NGK per the reviews and comments that I've heard. It should run smoother.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Get some good synthetic 2 stoke oil (Amsoil) to minimize lubrication problems. My exprience with the cheaper generators is the electrics/electronics. Make sure it's running well before loading it down and also disconnect devices before shutting down. Follow the manual and it should last fairly long.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad you are having good luck with it :) as others have posted that they have had good luck with the off brands. My experience was years ago, so I imagine the quality has improved in all the models. Btw Craftsman and Coleman make good products this is the reason I tried them. The reason I for calling them off brands is that they did not build their reputation on building small engine products. I hope I did not offend anyone with the off brand comment. My generators have to run all hunting season each year, and I have No time for dealing with break downs. I want(need) it to run each time I pull the handle. I do understand that the price of a Yamaha or Honda is double or triple the price of the others but for my need it is worth it.
Keeping a new clean plug in any small engine is one key for success. I have found it is also a good idea to cover the generator when it is not in use.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If your talking about using a generator for camping I would highly recommend the honda portable units as they are the most reliable and the quietest I've experienced.

In almost any other application where noise is not as important a factor, go on and experiment but some of these generators are damn loud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts