Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered but I have limited time to make my descision. I need a 3 inch suspension that will make it so I no longer have rake and will be able to fit 285's. I won't being doing much offloading at all. Ive looked at some rough country kits toytecs and ome. I m not sure what's the difference between all of them and am having a hard time picking one. I noticed some have spacers for the front and springs in the rear and some are all spacers etc. I would appreciate the help guys as this is my Christmas gift.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
If you don't plan on offroading, save your money and get the Rough Country lift with rear springs.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
OME has alot of R&D behind it. Nice manners and ride on road and it should (IMO) hold it's value better. If you later decide you want to get a little more into "Off Road" then you have a good base.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I know this has been covered but I have limited time to make my descision. I need a 3 inch suspension that will make it so I no longer have rake and will be able to fit 285's. I won't being doing much offloading at all. Ive looked at some rough country kits toytecs and ome. I m not sure what's the difference between all of them and am having a hard time picking one. I noticed some have spacers for the front and springs in the rear and some are all spacers etc. I would appreciate the help guys as this is my Christmas gift.
If your goal is to just be able to fit 285's on then I would just level out the front only. The rear of the FJ has plenty of room for 285's. A 2" spacer or leveling coil spring would do the trick. Any 2'' leveling spacer for the front coilovers or for an extra $30 you could go with the Toytec/Eibach leveling coil spring for the stock coilovers. This would be the most economical route to fit 285's, I would suggest spending the extra $30 for the springs because this would also improve the ride quality of the FJ. Note: I believe to do the coil spring for the front coilover you need to have a 2" shock body, does your FJ have the Bilstein shocks? If your looking to do an actual 3" lift/leveling kit then your basic spacer kit would do the trick and be the most economical but for the money investing your not adding any ride improvement to your FJ, just lifting it. With any 3" lift where coil springs and/or shocks are used to lift the vehicle not only are you getting the lift/leveling you're looking for but an improvement with on/off road handling and ride quality as well.

OME was mentioned as a possiblity, with the research I've done OME seems to be the most economical choice to lift/level and gives a performance improvement to your vehicle. OME is a very popular suspension upgrade for a reason, basic high quality and their springs have a linear rate which is very desirable for wheel articulation in off road use. To get a 3" lift and fit 285's on my FJ I went with Toytec/Eibach coil springs: front is set up with Toytec's adj. coilover and rear is Toytec's superflex coils. The reason I went with Toytec is their coils are a progressive rate over a linear rate. I wanted a progressive rate spring for better on road handling, my FJ is a daily driver as well as going off road. I didn't need to upgrade shocks because my FJ came with the Bilstein 2" body shocks. Note: it's not necessary, but I did do the diff drop and sway bar relocate. If you just level out the vehicle without a 3" lift you don't have to worry about it but if you choose to do a full 3" lift I would recommend it.
Hope this helps :cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
If you don't plan on offroading, save your money and get the Rough Country lift with rear springs.
x2.

If you are lifting for the looks and just to run a little bigger tire, spacer lift.

If you plan to offroad but can't afford the 1000 dollar starting price of some of the adjustable coilover suspension lift packages, go OME.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Like was already mentioned if you are going for the looks then a spacer lift is ideal for you. The Daystar kit that has a 2.5in front and 1.5in rear lift is probably just what you are looking for. I simply levelled mine with a 2in aluminum spacer in the front. It gets rid of the rake and relieves much of the brake dive. If you keep your lift under 2.5in in the front you also don't have to think about a diff drop....

And then once you go to 285s all you have to worry about is body mount rub.....lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts