Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 6mt very hard to down shift into 1st,, unless i double clutch,,,,but only when its cold,,, 2 or 3 blocks down the road and good as new,, anyone else have this,,,whats the fix,,,240,000 km,,, stock clutch,,, just changed all fluids,,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did this change after oil Chg or was doing before?
Did you use OE recommended viscosity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, this change after oil Chg,, right after oil change
yes, i used toyota mt oil,,
is there an additive im missing
is the oil too thick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is this FJ new to you or have owned a while.
If this change happened just after Chg and never before , check for proper viscosity.

If ambient colder, always a good idea to double clutch first few shifts . Synchros will last better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Mine has been that way since new. It gets cold.....it gets a little grumpy. Thank goodness for remote start!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Had a similar problem with the Aisin 5 speed manual transmission in son's 98 Jeep Wrangler. Changed out gear lube in trans to RedLine MTL GL-4 Gear Oil. Made a big difference in cold shifting and improved shift from 1st to 2nd.

FYI....front range of Colorado...usually below freezing most nights from late Oct to early April.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
0F here this morning had to come to a complete stop to shift to 1st after backing out the driveway. Normal.

I am running Redline as well in the tans.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
In your first post, you stated that you "just changed ALL fluids".

Did that include flushing & bleeding the clutch hydraulic system (master & slave cylinders, and accumulator)?

There is NO chance that you accidentally put the MT oil in the transfer case, and put the heavier-viscosity transfer case oil in the transmission?

Or put the correct viscosity oil in the transmission, but overfilled it?

Is this the first time this season that the ambient temperature was 0F?

This all just sounds like cold, high-viscosity lubricant causing a lot of drag inside the transmission. Synthetic MT oil may help, but both the engine and transmission will benefit if you let the engine run for a minute or two before starting off after a cold start. I always let engine coolant reach 120F before driving off, but I live in So California so normally that only takes a relatively short time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This has been a feature of my 2014 FJ since I bought it brand new. New fluids just a few months ago and nothing changed with respect to the stiff shift to 1st. When it's cold, that is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts