Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to hardwire my Garmin nuvi and found some information here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/163790-post80.html

But I was thinking there has to be a better way so I did some more research and found this hardwire cable on Amazon for 23.95 including shipping:
Amazon.com: Direct Wire 12-30V DC Hardwire Pigtail Cable for Garmin Nuvi GPS 200 200W 250 250W 260 350 360 370 600 650 660 670 680 750 760 770, eTrex Color, StreetPilot C510 C530 C550 C580 Zumo 450 550, Mio C220 C230 C520 H610 C720T, Magellan 3200 32

I'm not an expert electrician so if anyone has done this I would appreciate any tips. I hardwired my V1 radar detector in a BMW 330i but that was very easy since I was able to tap into the map lights. If the FJ had map lights I bet that would be the way to go and then have it mounted up high near the lights. In this case you have to use the fuse box and mount it low.

The cable is on it's way and I'll take some pictures while I attempt to install it. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

·
fka Memphibious FJ
1,470 Posts
I just patched in a power cord for my Garmin Nuvi 200 last weekend. I used a 12 volt adapter and patched into the auxillary lights plug in the A-pillar.

I used a volt-meter to determine the correct power leads, as I did not want to have power going to the Nuvi until I turned it on with the keys in the ignition.

sorry about the dark image...

Then, I just ran the cord behind the headliner and out the hole for the rearview mirror. I have yet to fabricate a bracket, but the Nuvi will sit above the mirror.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just patched in a power cord for my Garmin Nuvi 200 last weekend. I used a 12 volt adapter and patched into the auxillary lights plug in the A-pillar.

I used a volt-meter to determine the correct power leads, as I did not want to have power going to the Nuvi until I turned it on with the keys in the ignition.

sorry about the dark image...

Then, I just ran the cord behind the headliner and out the hole for the rearview mirror. I have yet to fabricate a bracket, but the Nuvi will sit above the mirror.
Looks very cool. I'll have to consider doing it that way. I look forward to seeing it finished.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you please let me know if the cable worked out for you? Does the cable definitely power the unit rather than just charge it? Does the cable have the proprietary Garmin plug at the end or just a mini USB plug? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
521 Posts
take apart the cig plug that comes with your garmin there are two wires power (red) and ground (black) get a add-a-circuit for mini fuses and use that in the fuse box for the power wire, ground it to bolt on the drivers side behind the kick panel and run the power cable to your garmin. Use the suction cup to attach it below the drivers side air vent. It will be out of the way from prying eyes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts