Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Hardwired Cobra, TomTom One LE

4K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  LandCruiserSteve 
#1 ·
I hardwired my Cobra, and my TomTom to the fuse block using fuse taps and a radio shack 12V mount. (Same as seen in the Additional 12V mod already here in the forums).

Pics as follows:

Next, the iPod dock charger, and 1.8 mm audio will have to be hidden away.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am looking to do this to my TomTom Go 720. Do you mind adding some more detail to the install for the electronically inept???

#4 ·
Layton,

If you need help with that, the next time we get together I can help you wire that up. It won't take long.

#5 · (Edited)
The cobra has a built in fuse, I kept the existing DC adapter, which already has a fuse. I just used this:

I am looking to do this to my TomTom Go 720. Do you mind adding some more detail to the install for the electronically inept???
Get fuse taps, and the Radioshack DC adapters shown above.
Strip the wires, and solder a fuse tap on the positive end. (Red)

Insert fuse tap, attach ground.

#7 ·
Not a problem. I like the way the OP has done it without having to cut off the OEM cig plug. That makes it easy but it may not work for you if you are going to mount it up on the windshield.....we may not be able to hide all the bulky stuff. That is still not a problem. You will just need an Add-a-circuit (which is just like the OP's wire tap but has a fuse in it) and some 18ga or 16ga wire. Just compare the OEM wiring and get the same size. I have plenty of crimp connectors and the crimp tool....you just have to remind me to bring them. :roller:

#10 ·
I did kinda the same, I'd suggest one thing to make it cleaner on the tomtom. you can pop the silver vent thing off by pulling it forward then pop the speaker cover and you can run the wire only showing about 2 inches right at the base of the windshield.

#11 ·
#16 ·
Question = can I do the following:
1) cut my tom tom power cord before the cig adapter
2) attach tom tom cig cord (that i cut) to Add-A-Circuit
3) plug in Add-A-Circuit plug to fuse panel
Yes to all. Matter of fact, if you choose to do so (which I would recommend), connect your Add-A-Circuit to a "switched" circuit on your fuse panel so that your Tom-Tom automatically turns off and on with the ignition (to prevent accidental battery drain).

This particular fuse slot is not only "switched," but it's also not being used by any other component in the FJ.

Just be mindful of your power cord's polarity (+ and -), and be sure to ground the negative (-) side. Use the manufacturer's recommended fuse size in the Add-A-Circuit. And, use quality automotive electrical crimp connectors.

#25 ·
So what did you figure out? I have the same question. Just bought one of these add-a-circuit thingys to power the switch for my winch power inturrupt kit. The switch worked fine when I just crammed the bare wire into an empty switched fuse recepticle...but now that I wired it with the add-a-circuit...nothing...do you have to have a fuse plugged into the side of the add-a-circuit? Is it a special fuse or just the same as the others? ....and which set of holes do you put the fuse in (there are two sets) if you do need one? THANKS!

#21 ·
WAIT!!!!! What is suggested before might be perfect for the TomTom, but if you're like me, you'll try to apply this thread to something else, be it an XM or Sirius tuner or another Nav Unit or Radar Detector....

I made the mistake of cutting the wire for my friend's Sirius tuner, and then realized that the voltage at the unit was something like 8 volts, NOT 12 V... Apparently, the male end of the cord (the part that goes into the cigarette lighter socket), had a transformer or something to step down the voltage. So, I had to splice the cut wire back together and was left with 2 options.

1. Buy a cigarette adapter (a female end with some wires) and hard wire the adapter.
2. Cannibalize the male end, find the "transformer" and wire appropriately.

So, my warning is this: Make sure that your device requires 12V at the device, and that there isn't some "changing" device in the plug or wiring that would require you to do the above mod!

Happy Modding!

#22 ·
I made the mistake of cutting the wire for my friend's Sirius tuner, and then realized that the voltage at the unit was something like 8 volts, NOT 12 V...
Good point. Wiring a unit's power cord directly to a fused connection is done with the assumption that the unit requires a full 12 volts, rather than being stepped down by a transformer built into the supplied cigarette lighter plug.

Check the voltage requirements first, and go with VooDude's above suggestion of putting a female cigarette lighter receptacle in-line if the power needs are less than 12 volts.

Also, some GPS units' power cords (i.e., Garmin) have multiple wires that use two out of 4 -5 wires to feed the power to the unit (+ and -). The remaining wires may be for computer connections. Know which wires you're tapping into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.