Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put an '07 FJ cruiser on Propane yet? Wondering whats involved with carbs and such and also...IS it possible? Maybe with a turbo to make up for the loss of power?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Has anyone put an '07 FJ cruiser on Propane yet? Wondering whats involved with carbs and such and also...IS it possible? Maybe with a turbo to make up for the loss of power?
LPG IS possible on any vehicle that's gas propelled, but a little harder to do on diesel. I also looked into that several years back, but making sure you know where the LPG stations are located and hope they have public access available as most need commercial accounts. I believe gasman or whatever it's called (the robot made from a gas pump) is one located nationally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also where the best place to put the tank is is another issue. I know in the back is the obvious place but i dont want to lose that trunk space. Im pretty sure it is illegal however to have a can on the roof or bumper am i right? (Exterior of the vehicle) Would it be possible to have a can fabricated to fit in front of the back bumber similiar to what people have done for a reserve gas tank?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Let's see, strap a bomb to the bumper...:jawdrop:

Actually I'd be willing to bet by the time you pay for the conversion (that's if you can find someone to do it) and the expected price increases in LP coming up, I seriously doubt it would be cost effective.

BTW, you're FJ doesn't have a carburetor:)

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
As someone who lives in Arizona, where we had the "alternate fuel debacle", fueled by outrageous tax rebates, I can tell you:

1) they were converting everything here (trucks to golf carts)

2) the quality of the conversions ran from great to criminal. Some people had vehicle damage

3) in most cases the tanks are too small to do any good, range wise

4) many of the installations look like they could be problematic in a rear end crash

So, make sure they know what they are doing and that you don't suffer engine damage. Also make sure you have refueling stations in all the areas you need.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's funny to read this post. I was wondering whether anyone had done an LPG or CNG conversion when I read the E85 guinneau pig post. I've been trying to learn what would be involved in converting the FJ (and/or my wife's mini-van) to either LPG or CNG.

Honda has that cool home refeuling station (the PHILL) for CNG.

I know the range wouldn't be great, but for the driving my wife and I do around town, it would be perfect because we could re-fuel in the evening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Propane is actually less explosive than gasoline, hence the loss in power, so the bomb to the bumper comment is unreasonable. Its not really the price im worried about so much as the range i could get. Sure the lower price is nice, but as you say not worth the money.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So...sorry to bring this back.....but the question still stands........
has any one done it to their FJ or seen one conversion done?
i know conversions run under $1500 and the range depends on the size of the Tank. i dont think the tank location would be a problem if is used offroad only,
not that i would go rock crawling or desert bombing with it! but for extended range it would be perfect.
the tank could be removed before you exit the trail or try any stunts then switched to gasoline only as required.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So...sorry to bring this back.....but the question still stands........
has any one done it to their FJ or seen one conversion done?
i know conversions run under $1500 and the range depends on the size of the Tank. i dont think the tank location would be a problem if is used offroad only,
not that i would go rock crawling or desert bombing with it! but for extended range it would be perfect.
the tank could be removed before you exit the trail or try any stunts then switched to gasoline only as required.

Most LPG systems for EFI are electronically controlled, which allows the user to switch between fuels at their whim (within specified parameters). The $1500 systems are usually for TBI or carb'd systems, and use a mixer instead of electronics. EFI systems are usually $2500+ depending on the amount of time spent on engineering, calibration, and testing.

As I've said in other posts on alt fuel tonight, feel free to PM me any questions as I do this for a living.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most LPG systems for EFI are electronically controlled, which allows the user to switch between fuels at their whim (within specified parameters). The $1500 systems are usually for TBI or carb'd systems, and use a mixer instead of electronics. EFI systems are usually $2500+ depending on the amount of time spent on engineering, calibration, and testing.

As I've said in other posts on alt fuel tonight, feel free to PM me any questions as I do this for a living.
Hi
I’m also thinking of moving my fj to propane but I’m worried the propane tanks will take the room of my back room space ?! Any idea !?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,207 Posts
Hi
I’m also thinking of moving my fj to propane but I’m worried the propane tanks will take the room of my back room space ?! Any idea !?
all the conversions I’ve seen put a tank underneath the cargo area between the frame. Personally I would never ruin my engine with LPG...if Toyota thought it would be good they’d have done it ...and our gas is $6 a gallon (£1.30 litre).

·
Registered
449 Posts
I work in the oilfield, drilling oil and gas wells. You are unlikely to see propane make a comeback until the price of gasoline triples or quadruples. Propane and natgas are super cheap right now, because there is an abundance of natgas (from which propane, butane, etc. are made). In the USA, the propane pumps from the late 80s=early 90s have been ripped out of commercial gasoline stations. If you travel on a Sunday, prepare for trouble, because you cannot fill up at propane outlets because they are not open. Also, I think the fitting for vehicles with a permanently installed tank differs from commercial propane tanks strapped to them (forklifts) and propane bottles in general.

You will have to remap the ECU since FJs are fuel injection. The exhaust gas mix will also be very different, so your O2 sensors will be wonked. On the good side, you could probably remove your catalytic converters, but that is also an ECU mapping nightmare. I think certain aspects of the ECU are permanent - I could remove my cats, but every tuner I have spoken to says the check engine light will remain on, which means you can't pass inspection in most places.

Long story short - as gas prices increase, propane does too; gas has infrastructure for trips, propane doesn't; unless you have some very deep pockets and nothing else to do with your money, this will be extremely time eating and exorbitantly expensive. There is nowhere to put a decent sized propane tank in an FJC - just as there isn't in a Jeep Wrangler. You are likely to wind up with LESS driving range than a gas powered FJC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts