Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Has Anyone done the Appalachian Trail?

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  chadcl 
#1 ·
I realize that this is going to be a combo topic. Part hike, part Expedition vehicle. This one is on my husbands "please let's do this" list.

We are headed to Costa Rica for 9 days in August. It just wets my appetite for the REAL deal.

#2 ·
i drive over it twice a day in northwest jersey, does that count

#3 ·
It sure does NEPA! I know that we will have to invest at least 6 months of our time AND have a HUGE support team. At least the FJ will be on the support team!!!

#4 ·
let me know if u need a place to take a break,sleep in a real bed ,shower ect....

#5 ·
We are definitely looking at this one!!! I could sure use a nice long walk.......

#6 ·
Spanning fourteen states, this 2000+ mile trail runs from Georgia to Maine.

One of my life goals is to hike the Appalachian trail end-to-end. I plan to begin my trek the day after I retire from my daily job.

I plan to have my sister mail boxes of food and other supplies in my name to "general delivery" at post offices along the way at prearranged intervals. The post office will hold the boxes for me for up to one month. That way I can hike non-stop without having to worry about when and where to replenish my cache of food, clothing, maps, etc. I can carry only what I need for each particular section of the trail...and mail back anything I determine I don't want to carry as an unnecessary burden or additional weight.

#10 ·
thru hikers on the trail are a breed apart . from the guy that carves walking sticks and leaves them on the trail. and the different areas of the trail being known by different names. Like my state of Pa. is known as the place where boots go to die. if you look into doing this good luck and post up .

#11 ·
I have nothing but admiration for anyone who attempts these 'ultra-marathon' trails.

Don't forget to visit us when you are done, for the longest hiking trail in the world.

The Trans Canada Trail - 12,000 miles!

- Solo

#12 ·
I have done parts of it. the Virginia section when I was stationed in Va.
And being from Maine, I have hiked the 100 mile wilderness. From Monson ME
to Katadin. That was rough, summit (3 ) 3k ft. peaks in one day. I was just trying to get from shelter to shelter, being that at the time, the only open fire allowed was at the shelters. I was doing 10-12 mi a day, the thru hikers were twice that. It's called the 100 mi wilderness, cause once you start, it's finish or turn back unless you get lucky and flag a trucker on the iron works rd.(think that was the name)
Highly recommend it if you like to hike. :bigthumb:

BirdMan

#13 ·
My buddy and I hiked all of Vermont last summer. That took a little less then a month so if you are planning to hike the whole thing be prepared for a very long hike. I think the whole trail is about 2000 miles. Also have the right equipment and do a bunch of small weekend hikes before you set out to get prepared for full days of hiking.

#14 ·
I plan to hike the trail starting April 2116. That is a month or so after I retire from the military. At my last base, an H-60 would fly us north from NY to Maine or New Hampshire, hoist us to the ground, and come back 5 or so days later. Living in Virginia Beach area I get the itch at least once a year to do something on the AT. A few weeks ago a couple friends and I decided to do Mt. Washington in NH before all the snow and ice melted and the climb became "easy". At the summit it was 70+mph winds and -15 deg F. Totally awesome. Since then, the shakes have settled down a bit.

#18 ·
I'd like to take an FJ down the trail. :jester:

I guess hiking it would be alright too. :indifferent:

#22 · (Edited)
great book I found when I first started toying with idea of doing it in section...I dont have the time for the full trip at once even though an old lady has done it and an gentleman as well that are both over 60. LOL

check out book A WALK IN THE WOODS by Bill Bryson. It is part comedy and part journal.....and he talks about preparation and his journey an dthe people he meets. A good read with a humorous slant on his adventures.

OOOPS see that someone already mentioned it. Oh well...still inspiring when I walked my first few times on trail in Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina. One of my goals is to walk it as well now that I retired from military but I fear it wont happen as working is a priority in this economy and cant spare 3 months. :(

I envy those that do it though.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.