Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering since Trd and k&n are so expensive. I did build one with dual air cones for a 1994 vette that I had. So I was thinking of doing the same for the Fj.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
better off leaving the stock cold air intake. putting on a filter without a box or open box like the K&N actually is giving yow warmer air than stock, and to build your own would just be a lot of work for such a minimal gain over stock that it would be a waste of time. Just change the stock filter to an AFE pro dri save money and time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi
I have the K&N cold air intake on my 2010 FJ Cruiser. When I got home and actually say the size of the original intake pipe and box, I could of gotton away with a K&N Filter in the original box as everything is quite large. I really had in my mind that part of my upgrads would consist of:
1. Cold Air Intake
2. Unichip Plug & Play Performance Chip
3. Dynoflow Cat-Back Exhaust System
That one would work in unisin with each other for balance of HP, Torque and Gas mileage
Such personal decisions, yes,no,yes,no......We can justify almost anything...

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've got a 2011 and all I did was add an AFE dry filter, removed the baffles and capped off the openings on the intake tube. Works very well, but did decide do get the TRD intake which will be put on today once FedEx decides to get here. So if yours is a 2010 or 11, I have an AFE dry filter that was in the FJ for 2 weeks and only has like 75 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As i have asked in another thread, What do you guys do with the white filter that comes in the stock box. I have a K&n drop off filter in my fj box, but the white one that is stock to the box is all dirty can't barely see through it. can it be removed and just have the clean K&N in there?

·
Registered
560 Posts
It can be removed, you just tear it out. I just got my TRD intake in a couple hours ago and it even came with that same secondary filter in the lid. Others have just ripped it out and gone on their way. It wont affect anything.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Isn't that secondary filter what makes it carb legal?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Isn't that secondary filter what makes it carb legal?
Yes, but if you do live in one of the states that does emission testing, they only test at the exhaust outlet. They don't go through the entire car top to bottom, front to back. Even if you do remove it and they remove your air box lid for some reason it will just look like any other cars air lid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts