Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since day one, my 2010 FJ has acted weird while driving. When I slow down to 10 or 15 mph (typically when turning into my neighborhood) and then hit the accelerator, the engine revves up and it sounds like it is stressing at the beginning of acceleration. I experience this typically everyday. I haven't been too concerned about it but concerned enough that I planned to take it in to the dealer before the warranty expires.

Anyways, I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N performance air filter. No cold air intake...just the filter. It rides perfectly now. No revving up. Could it be that the stock Toyota air filter restricts the air input into the engine TOO much? Has anyone else experienced this situation?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I had that happen randomly with my Tundra CrewMax but I haven't noticed it with my FJ. I always assumed it was caused by hitting the gas at the exact point where you're in between gear selection speeds and it takes a moment for the forces to cause it to lock the torque converter and/or shift up or down. Once that happens it locks in and goes. It would usually happen to me if I did a rolling stop, where I almost stop but then hit the gas to accelerate out of an intersection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts