Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its locked in their with lock-tite. Just give it a good budge. Its better to buy a new one. While I was waiting on a new one I just soaked the old one in rubbing alchohal

·
Registered
188 Posts
its been 6 months.. you should be able to take a set out there and figure it out. Best thing to do is put an elbow joint on the wratchet and use a break bar

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah we do ;)

I recently disconnected the pipe that goes from the pcv and the engine began shaking and stuff, not sure if this was normal or not, but that's why I want to remove it and check it out

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just got an estimate from dealer in Poway, CA.
$370.00 to replace MAF sensor
$210.00 for plugs ( just did them)
$130.00 for to clean PCV
$150 for fuel induction "service"

Anyone know what the last item entails?
So is the consensus that the PCV can be cleaned by garage mechanic?
Can the MAF sensor be serviced at home?

By the way, they said all 4 lights are turned on with the engine light to "get your attention"?

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Just got an estimate from dealer in Poway, CA.
$370.00 to replace MAF sensor
$210.00 for plugs ( just did them)
$130.00 for to clean PCV
$150 for fuel induction "service"

Anyone know what the last item entails?
So is the consensus that the PCV can be cleaned by garage mechanic?
Can the MAF sensor be serviced at home?

By the way, they said all 4 lights are turned on with the engine light to "get your attention"?
An $8 can of CRC MAF cleaner found at any good auto parts store and about 10 minutes of your time will clean your MAF. It's super easy.

You don't need to clean your PCV as part of regular maintenance, only if you have a problem. Probably less than 6 members here have replaced it because they wanted to, not because they needed to.

Add a $10 bottle of Techron to your gas and you've got everything covered for about $18 and about 10 minutes of your time.

None of the items you listed (other than spark plug changes) are considered normal maintenance by Toyota (as per your owners manual).

DEWFPO

·
Registered
298 Posts
I picked up the cleaner on my way home...removed, cleaned, and reinstalled it in about 10 minutes...wow, that was easy, and if it's bad, it wouldn't take any longer to replace than clean. How the heck can they justify $370.00 to replace it??

I use Chevron periodically, will that cover the Techron issue?

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
A new PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve is only ~ $5.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yeah, another justification for the term "Stealership"...$130.00 to "clean"? Sheesh...:flame:

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
I use Chevron periodically, will that cover the Techron issue?
It depends on how often 'periodically' is, but your probably fine if the engine is running fine.

When you cleaned the MAF you cleaned the hot wire sensor and not just the intake air temp sensor (looks like an old fashioned match)? They're both in the same plastic housing that you removed.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
298 Posts
When you cleaned the MAF you cleaned the hot wire sensor and not just the intake air temp sensor (looks like an old fashioned match)? They're both in the same plastic housing that you removed.
DEWFPO
Well, I dunno...I definitely cleaned the matchstick, don't remember seeing any other component-ey looking parts. Where the heck is it?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well, I dunno...I definitely cleaned the matchstick, don't remember seeing any other component-ey looking parts. Where the heck is it?
Its located on the same piece that you cleaned, its just not exposed but a few little wires hiding up in a pocket next to it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
OK, took it out again, couldn't find anything. Looked under an illuminated magnifier and what do you know, not one but two LITTLE BITTY suspended wires with tiny little bulges that look like miniature precision resistors. Holy cow, I think just cleaning them might destroy them. But clean them I did, we'll see what happens...

Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
are you sure? seems kinda too good to be true
Call your local Toyota parts dept or search your favorite Toyota online parts seller for;
p/n 12204-31030, valve, sub-assembly (ventilation)

Size 19mm hex head.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Location of the PCV valve, just above the (3rd) sparkplug on the right.

Took the above picture when I replaced the sparkplugs (NGK/Denso combo) at 30K miles with all six Denso (#3421) Iridium Long-Life - SK20HR11.

·
Registered
214 Posts
PCV valve should be a cheap fix. All the dealership would do is either replace it or spray throttle body cleaner on it and wipe it off. Also a caution when cleaning throttle body and MAF sensor, DO NOT use chemicals. A damp rag and a little elbow grease is all you need. Cleaners will destroy the protective film (kind of like stripping wax) on the throttle body. Chemical residue will stay on MAF sensors, possibly leading to a malfunctioning MAF sensor. Fuel injection cleaning.. DO NOT use cleaners with "MMT" in it. Apparently it does damage to Toyota's fuel system. Just a few things I learned here at the Tundra plant.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts